Saturday, 7 February 2015

Revamping A Room And Garden Birds

This morning I decided the colours in our sitting room needed a change. You may remember we decorated the walls last summer when the new carpet went down (the one Poppy promptly weed on), but the curtains, sofas and cushions have been in there for the last five plus years.

It's funny how tastes for colour changes. When we first did that room I loved the pale greens and blues we used, but now I feel the need for warmer, richer hues. Obviously, we won't change the sofas but I have taken the throws off and that has already lifted the energy in there.

I decided the quickest, simplest and most economical way to inject some fresh colour into the room was to change the cushion covers. I have never made cushion covers before, but after examining the Laura Ashley ones we've got in there already (pretty grubby after five years of wear) they didn't look too hard to make, if you ignored the invisible zip :o)

So Phyllis and I set to. I have a nice large stash of fabric by now and I chose three with reddy/ orangey hues. Pattern-wise they are a mixture of birds and florals. The one on the left in the pic below reminds me of my Grannie for some reason, so it is lovely to have it out in the room. I've been holding on to that particular fabric for ages waiting for something to make with it and as soon as I thought cushion covers this morning I knew it was perfect. I think it was just waiting for today :o)

It didn't take long to run them up at all. One cushion I stitched poppers into the edges (very messily but you can't see that from the outside) and the other two I machined the final edge, reasoning that I could always unpick and put in a zip later.

Here they are. The red one in the middle is the red version of the blue William Morris Strawberry Thief fabric I showed you yesterday. The one on the right as you look at the pic has swallows swooping through it (swallows are special birds to me) and the one on the left is the one that reminds me of my Grannie. I am Really Pleased with them and keep going in to that room just to enjoy looking at them :o)






It's lifted the colour in the room exactly as I'd hoped it would and with no need to spend money or go to the shops either.

I'll leave you with some shots of the birds in the garden this morning. The Song Thrush has just started to visit and was busy bashing a snail on the drive for breakfast, and the Great Tits are all in full-on mating plumage so they are looking very plush and striking with their ebony stripes down their middles. The Robins have started showing each other their red breasts which always makes me smile, such small birds but so ferocious :o)

Song Thrush

Blackbird (male)

Great Tit
 Hope you're all having a lovely weekend,

CT :o)

30 comments:

  1. WOW! Phyllis has been busy and the finished covers look gorgeous with your suite. Love the garden birds also. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :o) I was very pleased (and surprised) when they came out looking OK! xx

      Delete
  2. Just goes to show CT that with some imagination and a little effort there's no need to break the bank. Lovely pictures of the birds, Mr. Blackbird looking very smart there.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- feels good to have made them too and saved some pennies along the way (M now worried the entire house will be taken over by homemade cushions). :o)

      Delete
  3. Dito..that's what I did yesterday, new rug, cover for sofa and new ornaments for fire pace, wanting to lighten the room's up after winter, even did a bit of spring cleaning !!..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be something in the air.... for the first time this winter I felt fed up with the cold and ready for some sunshine and warmth on my skin. xx

      Delete
  4. I'm having a lovely weekend, thanks! Wow, well done with the cushions - I love that you keep going into the room to look (I'm doing this with my new wellies, walking in a pronounced way, watching my feet!). It is amazing how a little change can have such a big impact - my favourite has to be your gran's. Do you find cushions make the sofa more comfortable? My guinea-pig likes ours for nesting in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about your wellies :o) When I got a new pair after ten years I put them on the table and photographed them from every angle (mainly because I couldn't believe how much money I'd spent on them!).
      I love cushions on the sofa, had to work hard to persuade M in the first place but now even he concedes they make it more comfy.
      We lost our piggy a year or two ago and I still miss him x

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how a pop or two of colour can brighten up a room. Soon I shall be ready for cushions... soon, soon, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bird photos. Don't know what I'd do if I didn't get birds in the garden. I love our feisty British birds , especially robins and blackbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sue. The garden would be a flat place without them, especially in winter when everything else is sleeping. Many thanks for the comment :o)

      Delete
  7. The new pillows are so pretty! I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) I'm so pleased with the way they've come out. Think I will attempt a simple dress pattern next (prepare for potential disaster!) :o)

      Delete
  8. Lovely job with the cushions, little touches of colour make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, don't they? SO pleased it achieved what I wanted so simply :o)

      Delete
  9. Lovely cushions, the fabric is gorgeous, and your room looks so calm and welcoming. Good bird photos, I know what you mean about robins, sometimes I think they'd take me on. Enjoy your Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only down side with having made them is that I now have none of that lovely fabric left :o) So I feel a shopping trip coming on! (any excuse) xx

      Delete
  10. The cushions look great! It is amazing how much difference a relatively small change can make to a room isn't it! I love the fabrics even more! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has lifted the energy in there, it feels like a room preparing for summer now :o) The other two (not the WM one) were from C&H xx

      Delete
  11. Blooming heck...you're sewing again!
    LOVE the birds!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to make a start on my quilt today and maybe attempt a simple dress pattern this week.... I blame the Sewing Bee which has just started on TV again :o)
      Got your invitation thanks, pressed the accept button and it worked! Yipee! xx

      Delete
  12. That's a fat little thrush! My Mr Robin is scarlet red right now and he saw off a contender for my Mrs Robin yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought same re Thrush, either puffed up with cold or has eaten too many snails! Wondering if he/ she is last year's baby? Has a juvenile expression I think.
      Yay for Robins! All squaring up to one another here as well- I love watching them :o)

      Delete
  13. Well done making the cushions, they look wonderful on your sofa.
    Love, love the garden birds.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene :o) I was really chuffed that they worked and don't look too horrendous! xx

      Delete
  14. Hey CT,
    I am a huge fan of the cushion. Such a cheap way to revamp a space. I can make them too, and should really get my arse into gear. I fancy some new ones in the conservatory. I watched two robins have a right old scrap in the front garden this week. It was quite hilarious. Meanwhile in the back an younger blackbird is tying to usurp an older one. I don't think he's going to manage it this year. The older one is quite the warrior.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect excuse for a spot of fabric shopping to me :o) At least the birds seem to feel Spring coming, which is A Cheering Thought in itself. I was Very Fed UP with winter yesterday- it was really cold here and heavy clouds too. But the sun is shining today hooray! Hope you're having a lovely weekend my dear xx

      Delete
  15. Male Blackbird picture is beautiful! One of my favourite birds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x