Thursday, 5 February 2015

Gooey Chocolate Brownies & Biscuit Melt Recipes, And The Dogs Asleep In The Sun

Thanks ever so for all your Get Well Soon messages for L. He seems to be on the mend now.

AGES ago I promised Mandy the recipe for my Rather Wicked and Definitely Gooey Chocolate Brownies...



It's a Nigel Slater one from his Kitchen Diaries, with my usual tweakings :o)

225g/ 8oz golden caster sugar
250g/ 9oz butter or the equivalent (I use sunflower pure because butter doesn't like me)
250g/ 9oz chocolate
3 eggs
60g/ 2.5oz plain flour
60g/ 2.5oz cocoa powder
0.5 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

23cm sq baking tin (lined with baking parchment paper)
gas 4/ 180c

1, Cream butter and sugar till white and fluffy
2. Melt choc (keeping 50g aside) in bowl suspended over but not touching a saucepan of hot water. 
3. Chop the 50g of remaining choc into pieces (gravel sized or bigger depending on your preference)
4. Beat eggs lightly in a small bowl
5. Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together into a bowl and add a pinch of salt 
6. Add egg to butter mix a little at a time
7. Mix in melted and chopped choc to egg and butter mix
8. Fold in flour and cocoa to the mix without knocking out air
9. Pour mix into tin, smooth off top and bake for 30 mins
10. The cake should appear slightly softer in the middle when it's done and if you put a skewer in it should come out sticky but not with raw mix attached to it. It solidifies a little on cooling and you should leave it at least an hour before cutting into squares.
11. When cool dust with sifted icing sugar


I have made it twice- once I got the cooking time bang on and it was really squidgy and perfect, the second time I cooked it slightly too long but on both occasions it lasted for well over a week (astonishing in this house) and the dryer of the two seemed to get more squidgy as time went on. It makes a lovely present, cut into tiny squares, dusted with icing sugar and put into a clear gift bag tied with a colourful ribbon.


Biscuit Melts
This one comes from a nondescript-looking little recipe book I've had for yonks. It isn't the brain child of a celebrity chef but it is cheerful, uncomplicated and unfancy and I use it all the time. It's speciality is Sweet Food :o)

250g/ 9oz butter (or equivalent)
40g/ 2oz icing sugar
185g/ 6oz self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
60g/ 2oz custard powder

Two baking trays, lined.
Gas 4/ 180c

1. Beat butter and sugar till light and creamy
2. Beat in vanilla essence
3. Sift in flour and custard powder and mix to a soft dough
4. Put dollops of mix onto tray (I used a dessert spoon size)
5. Bake for 20 mins till lightly golden
6. Leave to cool

You can make a passionfruit, icing sugar and butter filling for these and squash two bisuits together with it. If you want to do that you'll need 60g butter (or equivalent), 60g icing sugar, 1.5 tablespoons passion fruit pulp- mash the flesh of the fruit with the back of a fork to make this. Cream the butter and icing sugar then just mix in the p fruit pulp. You can substitute passion fruit for coffee if you prefer (dissolve 2 teaspoons of instant coffee in 2 teaspoons of hot water and mix in to butter and icing sugar mix).

I made about 20 of these biscuits and there are about 6 left!! VERY easy to make, VERY moreish and they do just melt in your mouth :o)



 
Let me know if you make either of these how they turn out. Perfect for the weekend :o)

I'll leave you with some pics of the Hounds who both found perfect spots to sleep in while I was sewing yesterday- the sun was out and it was shining in certain places on the carpet. Two Happy Dogs :o)





She does love her Big Friend
 
 
Have a lovely day everyone,


CT x



 

41 comments:

  1. Now I quickly went over the lovely 'goodies' a I would love them all toooo much but I think the images of the dogs are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :o) Yes, I rather think I like the goodies too much to. Shall have to go running this afternoon :o)

      Delete
  2. They look scrumptious, tempted to try them tomorrow -I love a bit of baking on a Friday. I just read your post from yesterday-what a worry-I'm so glad that L is back on the mend. Yes, to the thermometer and the calpol! Such simple things that we almost take for granted but essential pieces of kit. Have a lovely day. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking on a Friday sounds lovely and homely :o) I'll bet your family love that. Thank goodness for Calpol eh? L much better today, glad to put Tuesday behind us. Good luck with the baking xx

      Delete
  3. You can't beat home cooking and baking, CT. Especially when you have been digging or tending the livestock on your allotment or smallholding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always tastes better than shop bought :o) No digging or livestock tending for me today- writing an essay on Countryside Law instead. It doesn't work up an appetite in the same way so running will have to do!

      Delete
  4. Yum, they look delicious, I had to have a rummage in the pantry cupboard after reading your post. I found a just out of date box of mine pies. Nice but I'd rather have a brownie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can mince pies go out of date? We've still got three left (I think everyone's forgotten about them) - I expect they'll see the year out! :o) xx

      Delete
  5. Hi *waves*!
    It's Jane from The Maple Syrup Mob. Thanks for following...my blog will be invitation only from 8th Feb,so if you'd like to have access to my blog just leave me your e mail address in my comments box (I won't post it),or e mail me at japawomo@xplornet.ca and I'll make sure you are on the invitees list.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane :o) I'll pop over now and leave it for you in your comments. Many thanks for the comment here, CT :o)

      Delete
    2. Great! And thank you for the follow too- you are officially my hundredth follower! :o) xx

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recipes! Cute pics of the sleeping dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V welcome :o) Have a lovely rest of the day.

      Delete
  7. The brownies and biscuits do look delicious!! Love the photos of your little dogs. Nothing sweeter than dogs soaking up the sunshine on a winter day ;) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thanks for the comment. Those doggies loved the sunshine- we've not seen much of it for a few days here so I think they were making the most of it :o)

      Delete
    2. ps- thank you for the follow too x

      Delete
  8. Oh gawd...I'm forever going to be rotund if you keep putting out such wonderful recipes CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll work it off roaring at the English tomorrow night :o)

      Delete
  9. Ooooooo, I'd love one of those chocolate Brownies but I'd be up A&E with my digestion if I so much as sniffed one sadly.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry. I have to be careful with certain foods so I sympathise xx

      Delete
  10. I've printed off the Brownies one, I'm waiting until I get eggs from the Geese, which won't be long now, to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I expect you'll only need one goose egg instead of three hen's :o) We kept geese eons ago, ma used to sell the eggs at the garage. I had a fit when I saw them in our local market for a pound each recently!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad L is better. It's such a worry when they're ill no matter how big they are.Your Brownies and biscuits look really scrummy and i always love the pics of your doggies.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Deb, very glad to have him back to normal :o) Glad u enjoyed the doggy pics, they did look so comfy sleeping in the sun patches xx

      Delete
  12. So often with your doggy pictures I think almost the same thing as your words before I have even got to the words, and I was thinking, Oh, how Poppy loves to be with Teddy and then you said something so similar! Scary huh! The brownies and biccies both sound delicious indeed!! It is great to have yummy things to turn to isn't it. Glad that L is continuing to improve. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same wave length my dear :o) And of course you are their Special Blogging Aunty xx

      Delete
  13. Glad L is better those recipes look so good! I have just finished making a banana bread for the weekend so will have to try one of them next week instead! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread sounds lovely. I have eaten too many of those melty biscuits :o) xx

      Delete
  14. Mmm, delicious. The brownies would make excellent gifts cut into BIG pieces as well I think:) And I love the passionfruit filling idea, it's one of my favourite flavours. I'm glad L's much better now, I hope you all have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brownies are quite rich :o) L back to school tomorrow (I think he is secretly relieved- probably bored of being stuck at home with me). William Morris fabric arrived this afternoon so you know what I'll be doing this weekend! Have a good one all of you too xx

      Delete
  15. I've been sitting here way too long enjoying your blog! Your little dogs are so cute. I loved them playing in the snow. And you sew! Thank you for visiting and following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Henny. Thank you for the lovely comment and the follow. I adore your bonnets- just beautiful. You are very clever being able to make such pretty things :o)

      Delete
  16. Yum Yum. Too tempting for me - have put on weight over holiday, despite walking miles... good to hear things (and people!) are on the mend. Baking is very soothing at stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting on weight despite exercising is definitely Not Fair. Hope all's well otherwise x

      Delete
  17. Ooooh thanks very much CT! Look forward to trying this recipe. I like Nigel Slater's food (even if he does irritate me on the telly). The other recipe sounds interesting especially with the custard powder in it - I guess it's just coloured cornflour really but still sounds unusual. Will try that one too at some point. I like sweet things. Could you guess? ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! You've just made total sense of something for me. It's the combination of icing sugar and custard powder that makes them melty and I knew the texture of the c powder reminded me of something- cornflour! Oh course! Thanks! xx

      Delete
    2. Haha yes the day I discovered that custard powder doesn't contain eggs at all I was most shocked..... basically it's mock custard really. I wonder if it was conceived during wartime? Never looked up its history.
      OK just looked.... here's the reason (from Wikipedia)
      "Bird's Custard was first formulated and first cooked by Alfred Bird in 1837, because his wife was allergic to eggs,[1] the key ingredient used to thicken traditional custard."
      Now I know. :-)

      Delete
    3. That's funny because I remember being amazed the first time I made proper custard that it did contain eggs! Tastes much nicer :o)
      Thank you for the info- an educational blog comment exchange :o) xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x