Sunday, 18 January 2015

L's Quilt Is Finished, And Some Toffee Pictures, Ahhhhh :o)

I spent yesterday finishing L's quilt. which had it's first night in use last night.
 




I am really pleased with it. I look at the first one I made now and see all the faults which are absent in L's! I devised a way of finishing the new one which doesn't involve stitching and turning inside out and having to hand sew the last section, or indeed having to bead around the edge which looks fiddly and not something I might have patience for :o) Instead, I turned all three fabric edges inward, pinned them and machined the hem about 1-2cm from the edge. The result it a neat hem which doesn't require anything else doing to it.
 


I love the backing material which is soft and light. The whole things feels warm and comfortable. For this quilt I didn't machine all the squares in and I think it works fine without it. To me. that is one of the nice things about making something by hand- there aren't any rules, you can do things the way you like them and change your plans if something isn't working or doesn't look right.


I also made some heart-shaped pin cushions.


Yesterday was the first day I felt back to normal health-wise, so L and I celebrated by taking the dogs out for a much-needed walk and scamper through the woods and fields. We were out for an hour and I think I probably now know the entire plot line and game plan for the x-box game Far Cry as a result :o) Teens are funny creatures: either total and utter silence broken by the very occasional mono-syllabic grunt, or non-stop talking without pause for breath. Love 'em :o)

L will be taking his options next term and school are already starting the process. We went to an evening talk about it last week and it seems fairly complicated with all the different subject groups, choices and points and grades. L has a better grasp of it than me and has confidently earmarked Geography, History, Resistant Materials and Computing as his four choices. This is in addition to the compulsory subjects of English x2, maths, RE, ITC and Science x3. Computing is an interesting choice because among other things it will teach him how to write code which I can see being incredibly useful in our increasingly computerised world. I wish I understood computers better! 

This process is again demonstrating to me how fortunate we are in our school. The staff are kind, thoughtful, adaptable, encouraging, always prepared to listen and respond, very much focused on the individual rather than the mass, and go out of their way to make changes if your child isn't happy. This is so different from when I was at school, and as a result everyone seems happy and content there. Quite an achievement when you've got so many kids from so many different backgrounds and with so many different talents, abilities and expectations. 

I'll leave you with some photos taken yesterday when L and I drove to my sisters to Officially Meet The New Puppy. She is such a sweet little thing and is settling in well. We did wonder whether anyone would notice if we took her home, but my nieces were too quick for that and besides, she wouldn't fit in my pocket :o) 

She is Very Very Soft and Very Very White and Very Very Cuddly and reminds everyone of a fluffy Polar Bear. We were Very Thoroughly And Suspiciously Sniffed by T and P when we got home :o)








Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

CT :o)

29 comments:

  1. School these days does indeed seem a 'far cry' from when I were a lad. I came away with zero and I see now that it wasn't just my fault but also the failings of a school full of teachers that were only interested in just getting thru the day doing the bare minimum. Resistant materials..... What on earth is that about?
    Oh and Toffee?.......aahhhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are more aware of what makes children tick- all the work and research into psychology informs decisions now much more than it did when we were kids. Children aren't just considered naughty or thick and left to struggle on.
      L says to tell you Resistant Materials is woodwork, metalwork, plastic etc :o)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely quilt, and that last picture, well, there are no words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks :o) Toffee is stealing hearts all over the place!

      Delete
  3. Love those puppy dog eyes. She's gorgeous CT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilt looks lovely... very professional ..as for schools number one son OK, but number two son Ahhhhhhhhhh very let down especially college
    (lets just not go there!!!).
    Calm now due to cute puppy photos :)
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda :o) Sorry to hear you're having schooling frustrations. That must be tough. Hope it gets better for him soon.

      Delete
  5. How sweet is that pup. If only they could stay like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet. I'm sure she'll do something soon like eating school shoes to render her less so, in the way of these things!

      Delete
  6. Look at the eyes on that glorious puppy dog, she is so beautiful as is your quilt, well done you. Thankfully Harry doesn't pick his options until next year but oh my how schools have changed over the years. I totally agree with you there, Rob sailed though picking his options & assured us he needed no guidance from us what so ever. In fact I think we were ordered not to open our mouths at the evenings set up prior to picking them. Yes indeed you have to love teenagers, such a lovely and interesting breed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very pretty little lass. Poppy will love her! That's good to hear that Rob was well organised and decisive. L has his mind pretty much made up, no fuss, no bother, let's just get on with it mum, type-of-thing.

      Delete
  7. Your quilt looks great and I love the way you have finished the hems...an excellent solution. So lovely to see the puppy again. We are having our home check tomorrow from English Springer Spaniel Welfare, so hopefully we'll pass and then it's just a case of waiting for a suitable dog. That'll mean we're registered with two rescue centres-as getting a cat friendly Springer is not easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie, I was very pleased to get a no-fuss solution to the hem! I am SO excited for you about the new dog situation. You've had a tough time losing two furry family members in quick succession and you both deserve to find a special friend who needs a loving, capable home. I'm sure you'll pass the check with flying colours.

      Delete
  8. The quilt looks wonderful, and amazingly you've tempted me to have a go (somewhere in a cupboard I have a sewing machine) - I'd love to print my own fabric to make one. I love your words about hand-made things, making and creating is full of compromises. Wish they'd done Resistant Materials when I was at school, sounds like it must include stone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I'm jumping up and down with excitement about that, Jennifer! And printing your own fabric would just be the Bee's Knees :o)

      I got hooked on sewing by reading other blogger's posts about their various projects and I absolutely love it. So much so that I bought Ma a sewing machine for her birthday recently and now she's back into it too, having been a bit of an ace in younger years :o)

      Quilting is absolutely NOT difficult- I will do a post tomorrow on a step by step guide, not that I'm remotely an expert but it might help you get started.

      I would absolutely LOVE L to work with stone at school. I have always nurtured a secret longing to be able to carve stone so I am completely in awe of what you do.

      Delete
    2. I'll swap you stone carving tutorial for quilting/sewing one!

      Delete
    3. Deal :o) I haven't forgotten the how to quilt post, it is on my list of to dos.

      Delete
  9. Awww.....such a cute puppy! Congrats on finishing your quilt. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :o) It was such good fun making it and a relief it came out OK!

      Delete
  10. That puppy looks like the model for cute pups everywhere! are you quite sure she is real? I am impressed with your quilting. I have the ingredients for a quilt, about a quarter made which I put aside more than four years ago when my father in law came to live with us and I lost my sewing space. Now that I have a sewing room again I really have no excuse not to bring it out again. Perhaps I will ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed real and VERY sweet and fluffy at the moment.

      I'm very envious of your sewing room, would love to have one here but no space at the mo. Good luck with the quilt- post a piccy when you've finished it so we can ooh and ahh over it :o)

      Delete
  11. What a gorgeous quilt, beautifully done. L's school sounds excellent. My eldest will be moving to secondary school in September, I hope his will be this good. All the best to L with his choices, it sounds like an excellent array of subjects. What a scrumptious puppy, no wonder you wanted to take him home with you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ :o) I'm on a roll quilt-wise (actually, I wonder if there's a name for the condition that describes someone unable to stop making quilts?)
      Good luck for Sept, I'm sure all will be well and he will blossom in his new environment. xx

      Delete
  12. Oh I love Toffee!! Love the quilt as well! You are amazing, I still haven't finished my first one and here you are on your second! I will quite possibly borrow that edging idea, that is wonderful!! Glad you are feeling better. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy :o) Just starting on my third.... I'll run out of steam eventually! xx

      Delete
  13. The quilt is lovely - so professional looking. Me, I wouldn't have a clue with a sewing machine - bound to put the needle straight through my finger :( Plodding on with the knitting - only knit when I watch tv so slow progress!!! The puppy is exceedingly cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :o) I'm enjoying sewing but do remember finding it quite hard at school :o)

      Delete
  14. I was wondering what resistant material was as well :) The quilt looks lovely, nice and cosy. As for that gorgeous puppy, I would have struggled not to smuggle her out as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x