Monday, 5 January 2015

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, And The Quilt Is Coming On.....

You'll be glad to know I am no longer hobbling about in an incapacitated way (although I haven't as yet attempted to reprise the lunges). I'm back to running and the new trainers are FAB. I have always poo-pooed getting running shoes properly fitted and paying a decent whack for them, but now that I'm running regularly and have upped my distances a little and have ancient crakety knees and old ladies ankles to boot, I think it's worth every penny :o)

Yesterday, we drove to the Cotswolds to spend the day with one of my oldest and dearest friends. We were at uni together and have children the same age. We've been through marriages, divorces, bereavements, celebrations and disappointments together and my Ma refers to her as her third daughter. We frequently go two years without meeting up, so this visit was long overdue. It was foggy all the way there and foggy all the way back, but we had a lovely day and caught up on everyone's news. Her eldest is now taller than both of us and has a proper booming deep voice. I remember when he was born. Scary how time flies.

Other than that, I've been beetling away on the sewing machine and am even starting to dream about quilts. L has already put an order in for one, because his woolly blanket is too thick and warm for all this mild weather, so once my quilt is done I shall be making him one. It's a good excuse to nose about for more fabric :o) I saw some lovely stag printed fabric in C&H last week, a couple of metres end of line and with a discount too so if that's still around that might work well for a lad's bedroom.

I spent a few hours this weekend cutting out 88 5x5 inch squares from the fabric L gave me for Christmas and arranging them all on the sitting room carpet with much assistance from Poppy, who has decided she wants to be a seamstress when she's older. She particularly liked the 50/50 bamboo and cotton wadding I bought for the middle of the quilt and spent quite a lot of time asleep on it while I worked around her.......



Can't say I blame her, it's wonderfully soft and warm.

I then spent a few hours over a couple of days machining the eleven rows of eight squares together in strips and now have the job of machining the whole block as one before I can put on the border, which I haven't got yet. I'm thinking a creamy colour or perhaps pale pink, with a deeper pink or red final border round the edge. What do you think? 

I'm rather taken with it, if slightly concerned that this might be the best it ever looks (if the rest of the machining doesn't go to plan!). The measurements are approx 1.2m by 1.7m so it's been made to fit a single bed, or one half of a double (M complains about over-heating).


After I've sewn all the squares together I've got to sew the batting into the middle and the backing on the back, making a sort-of quilt sandwich. Once the edging's done it'll then be ready for use. I'll do a step by step how I did it type post once it's finished for those who are interested (assuming it works and doesn't come out looking a complete pig's ear :o)).

Hope everyone is well? It's been back to normal today with M at work and L at school and me working on a statistics assignment that I will certainly be glad to see the back of while the dogs have slept/ chased each other/ stared at squirrels/ padded about/ shouted at the postman/ growled at the washing machine/ chewed their biscuits on the carpet.

I'll leave you with some pics of some Relexology socks I got last week which I thought were rather neat, the wood newly piled up beside the burner, and two very sleepy dogs passed out in front of the fire last night. 



 
 


Wishing you all a peaceful remainder of the day,

CT :o)

34 comments:

  1. That quilt is coming right along nicely . I have always admired quilters ~ I truly wish I had the talent or perhaps the patience . Love that last photo ~ very very sweet and peaceful indeed .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend :o) It's my first attempt at quilting so I am prepared for some (hopefully only small) hiccups on the way. I just love the feeling of making something from scratch. Hope everyone's well on the farm x

      Delete
  2. I'm not a quilter but I'm a total sucker for pooch pics!! I like the reflexology socks. I love your blog, you never know what your going to see lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julee :o) Hopefully it is entertaining :o) I love your doggy pics too x

      Delete
  3. Love the quilt and dogs look happy in frount of the fire, think I'm back up and running in blog land after having Flu over Christmas, been going through my flower list, deciding what I would like to discover this coming year. Number one would be to photograph the Water vole at the park.
    Look forward to seing what you find over the next 12 months
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you doing a 2015 bird list too? I always record the birds in the garden but have been inspired by Caroline at Ragged Robin to do a year one recording everything I see. Off to a good start this morning with a Marsh Tit. Hope you're feeling better and good to have you back xx

      Delete
    2. I do have a bird list which I started way back in 2009, but some of the photos could do with up dating, and it's a few years since I've tried recording how many I get in one year.

      Delete
    3. Be interesting to compare species next Dec and see if there are any markedly different.

      Delete
  4. Your wood pile should be in the Tate art gallery CT. It's a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall tell my husband, Dave, he will be chuffed that you think so :o)

      Delete
  5. That's a nice colour combination on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RH. Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year x

      Delete
  6. Love the quilt, well done you. I have a half finished one which I started back in July last year. I really must get a wriggle on with it. Love your little pooch photos, lovely sweet creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :o) The dogs love this time of the year when the fire is on- they spend every evening zonked out in front of it :o)

      Delete
  7. As a runner who's battled past injures I can attest to the use of quality running shoes. And I usually swap them out after 4-6 months. Even though they don't yet look worn, the padding compresses and they lose their shock asorption. Good luck on your running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M is a marathon runner and changes his regularly too. I'm not sure I'm doing the mileage to warrant it too often but I will get them checked in a few month's time. It does make such a difference having them. I am fairly bouncing when I run now :o)

      Delete
  8. Cool quilt. You don't muck about do you? I procrastinate and talk myself out of everything. Apart from eating. I'm very good at that.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always told as a child that I wanted everything done yesterday. I think I probably haven't changed much! xx

      Delete
  9. It looks as though Pops wants to be a crafter too!! You are making such great progress with your quilt, putting me to total shame! Since I made the top of mine last summer I haven't done anything else with it. It is on my list of things to get on and finish ASAP! Glad to hear that you are feeling better, I hope that you are fully recovered by now and not having to spend the day writing your assignment! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have done as much on the assignment as I can for now so I swapped yesterday afternoon back to quilting which was much more enjoyable. Not much left to do on it now and I'm excited about how it will look when finished :o) Hope all's well with you xx

      Delete
  10. The quilt is looking really impressive - I love patchwork items but I don't think I have the skill and definitely not the patience for all that sewing! Glad to hear you've recovered from the lunges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sewing machine makes an enormous difference- I am full of admiration for people who do quilts by hand, a real labour of love :o)

      Delete
  11. I love your quilt CT. The fabric looks quite vintage. You could always use it as a lap quilt for cold winter nights watching TV or knitting etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Molly :o) I laid it over the back of the sofa yesterday to admire it and then realised I could make a quilt for every chair and sofa we own :o) The whole house will be quilted before too long! :o)

      Delete
  12. My Mum always would say - "Be good to your body and your body will be good to you". So, I am happy to hear you sprung for a GOOD pair of running shoes. One cannot bash their body aboot and expect it to perform, Eh. The quilt is coming along quite nicely - I have never made one, but I think I would like to. My dearest and oldest friend - much the same as yours - we have been friends for 52 years. She lives in the city and I am in the country, so when we get together, which is not often, we make the day worthwhile. I hope everyone in the world is blessed with friendship like this. I love your Pooches - my Jack would be so sleepy right there in front of the cozy fire. I still do run and am just turning 72 in March, so keep healthy dear and exercise and you'll be in good shape, even as you get older. Its most important. Have a wonderful day. My Jack's idol is David Suzuki - whenever I watch a program with David Suzuki, Jack lays in front and stares?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Ma sounds like a wise woman. I'm very impressed you still run. My M has a big birthday coming up in the next couple of years and far from being down about it he is looking forward to it putting him in a new ago bracket for marathons :o) And as for Jack's viewing preferences, Poppy has got very into dramas recently and sits staring avidly at them while Ted snoozes oblivious:o)

      Delete
  13. The quilt is looking great, I can't believe it's your first one. My cats would love that material, no doubt they would 'help' a lot with little pieces of fabric on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suze. It may not look quite as good when the sandwiching together occurs! :o)

      Delete
  14. Your quilt is coming along nicely, lovely colour combination. Awww your doggies look so happy and contented.. such bliss! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Machining all three layers together this weekend....wish me luck :o) x

      Delete
  15. Your quilt looks good! I actually got around to knitting some of your hats over Christmas. The first one for me was good, the second one I made for my son is far too big I have now got to unpick it completely and start again! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you gave the hats a try! Getting the sizes right is quite difficult and depends on the wool you use as well. Hope it goes well x

      Delete
  16. The quilt looks lovely, I look forward to seeing the finished thing. Love the photos of the dogs by the fire. I really miss having a dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really pleased with it and now itching to make more :o) I feel for you re doggies, the house always feel very empty if they're both out for any reason.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x