Tuesday, 27 January 2015

A Bit Of A Rough Day...

I've been very touched this week by the bravery and kindness of the blogging community. I've read several posts where people I count as friends, despite never having met them, have written eloquently and honestly about elements of their lives that have proved tough recently and I have been struck by the enormity of the goodwill and support that exists among bloggers. It kind of bucks trends, don't you think?

I am fortunate- I don't usually suffer with Hard Days, but I've been away from home all day today and it has ended up being quite a tough day, which is unusual for me. It struck me how important the blogs I read and all of you who read my blog and leave comments on it have become to me when I realised that, apart from being at home with the dogs and my family (note the order there :o)), the thing I was most looking forward to in terms of knowing it would cheer me up was checking in with all of you and catching up on what you've all been up to. I knew you'd distract me and put back some much-needed perspective.

Right at this moment I have open on my browser and waiting to be read once I've finished writing this: John's exploits at Of Brambles & Bears, Caroline's Ragged Robin, Dave's Northsider Dave, CJ's Above The River, Mandy's Chateau Moorhen (and believe me, my dear, I feel particularly pathetic moaning about my day after all you've been stoically enduring these past few months),  Jo's A Whole Plot Of Love and Amy's Love Made My Home.

Do any of you feel less important and less like friends because we don't meet and exchange news in person? Nope.

I am lucky - these days I don't often suffer from hard days, the sort of day that leaves you feeling wrung out and weary. I prefer by far to be positive and up beat, but every now and then I guess we all get days that floor us and leave us feeling Fed Up.

My digestion has played me up today. I've had to spend the day sitting down and that really isn't any good for me; everything gets tied in knots and it becomes painful no matter how saintly I am in terms of the foods I choose to eat. The only remedy for that is wine, which numbs the stomach nerves. I'd rather do this than swallow pills. Only M and I decided we'd not drink mid-week and so I am cross that I've needed to. 

On normal active days, the sort of days I would chose if left entirely to myself, I know what my body needs to be healthy and happy, and as a result it all works, but on sitting down days it all unravels and I am beginning to think the only way to beat it is to have a fast day on days when I am required to be sedentary. I'm feeling just a wee bit fed up about that.


That was one element of my Difficult Day. Another is that L has been using a computer to do his school work on for the last few months because, in common with many children who are very young for their year (L is a very late August birthday) his handwriting isn't always great. We have just realised that the tablet we got for him last autumn for school isn't working out and as a result I am feeling frustrated that I have let him down on that score and wasted money to boot and that the school are - for once - taking their sweet time about replying to my email about it. I should have trusted my instincts at the time and got him a notebook computer instead, which I expect we will end up needing to get now anyway. I hate waste and I am feeling irritable and frustrated because of it and because I know I made the mistake in the first place :o(

The third thing is something I can't write about in any detail because it isn't my tale to tell, but it is preying on my mind and adding to the general toughness of the day. I don't mean to sound enigmatic and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it at all, but there you go, it's part of what's made this day Tough so I feel I need to acknowledge it in a round about way.


Goodness! You don't usually get this from me I know and I apologise for the uncharacteristically gloomy, bordering-on-self-pitying post. Tomorrow I am off for a day watching water birds by the sea which I am sure will Quite Restore Me and Thursday you will doubtless get a more in-keeping cheerful post full of Interesting Birds and other Outdoors Things, not to mention updates on the various Sewing projects I have on the go with Phyllis as well as the result of the Smartie Competition (which I have not forgotten :o) ). I will also have had a day of eating normally which I am Quite Sure will have restored my spirits no end.

In the mean time, I hope you are all keeping well and keeping cheerful and sorry for the whinge.

CT x




36 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry it's been a tough day. I know exactly what you mean about being cross about making a mistake. Each time I do something like this I swear it will be the last time, but of course there is always another one. Only thing to do is to put it down to experience and carry on from here, I know from much experience in this field! The blogging community is indeed a good one, I was just commenting to someone else how I care about online friends as much as if I'd met them. I think about them in bad times and good, and I worry if things are difficult for them. I'm sorry your digestion has been upset by a sedentary day. I do hope it's feeling better soon. A day by the sea watching water birds sounds wonderful. We like to do things like that when we can. I hope you have a really lovely time and that you feel cheerier by tomorrow. And thanks for the mention, it was a treat to see a post from you too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much CJ, that is such a comfort.You're right, chalking the mistakes down to experience is the way to turn a negative into a positive. So glad I found your blog, I always enjoy checking in with you xx

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you have had a grotty day. I feel as badly for you as if I knew you forever and knew you in person, as you say, it is a real community and there are great friendships. Sometimes I sneak back for a look at Teddy and Poppy to cheer me up. If only there was a way to instantly make you feel better and take all of your hurt and worries away I would surely wave that wand as for you to be down like this is so unlike you that it really saddens me for you - does that bit make sense? I really hope that an evening curled up with your wine and the doggies and a warm fire and perhaps a good TVBF will help to ease your stresses and that tomorrow will be a better day. I often think of you and the doggies and they both came to mind today, so know that you are in my thoughts and I am sending love and hugs to you my dear bloggy pal. Sorry for being soppy in the comments, but I don't have an e-mail address. Here's hoping for an improvement soon and you know, if I can help, let me know. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, you are such a kind-hearted soul and I am very glad I found your blog. Thank you my dear for all your kind words, I am much restored today and feeling a good deal better. I am so pleased T and P cheer you when you need cheering- they do the same for me as well. Thanks once again - you are not soppy at all, just extremely kind xxx

      Delete
  3. I don't call that a whinge, it's just saying it as it is. I hope the rest of the week is better for you, and your digestive problems improve. Like you I look forward to catching up with everyone, it is such a great community. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great community and has become such an important part of my life, I feel very lucky to be able to be involved with it. I always enjoy checking in with you in Cornwall and reading what you've been up to. Thanks for the kind words Chickpea, I am feeling much better today xx

      Delete
  4. Sometimes, CT, just letting it out helps. I agree with you that certain people become friends whom we feel comfortable with and look forward to their blog posts allowing a peak into their world. I, of all people, know what it's like to have bad days but when I come back here and read and begin to share once again it certainly does help CT. So if you ever need an ear to bend, mine are as flexible as they come m'dear :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging lets you into the lives of people you'd never otherwise meet, that's the magic of it for me. I learn so much from everyone and really do love reading what everyone's been up to. I am so pleased I discovered your blog, John, I love reading what you and the girls have been doing and seeing all your pictures. Thanks so much for the offer of flexible ears- you are a dear. Feeling much better today xx

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you've had such a rough day. It sounds as if it is one of those days where the best thing that can happen is to crawl into bed and know that tomorrow will be a new day, hopefully full of better things than the one that's just happened. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristie, you are absolutely right- a day to reach the end of and put into perspective with a good night's sleep! I feel restored today. So glad to have found your blog and to be able to keep up with all your news xx

      Delete
  6. I echo what you, John and the other comments say about sharing your problems on the blog, CT. Love reading the blogs I follow. It's great to have Internet friends. Thanks for your kind words on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Internet friends are a special bunch and I really do love catching up with everyone. I love reading your blog and seeing what you've been up to on the farm :o)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry too that you had a rough day. You need some fresh air and sunshine! (And a glass of wine!). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie, sorry you came in on rather a grumpy post. I'm not normally a misery guts :o) Thanks so much for the comment. Fresh air and sunshine...absolutely, I got both today and am feeling a good deal better now xx

      Delete
  8. I am sorry you are having a bad day, it isn't at all like you but everybody needs a little rest, wine and whinge sometimes. I think what I like most about reading blogs is that people are very open about sharing what is important to them and what strikes them as important and shareworthy so eventually you build up a really nice picture of the person behind the words. So I hope you have a restorative day today and eventually get your mojo back. All the very best.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna, that's very sweet of you. I love building a picture of the person behind the words too and am so pleased I found your blog and can keep up with all the things you enjoy. Feeling much better today so a happier post follows.... xx

      Delete
  9. Beautifully human. How right you are about fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I don't usually use the blog to let off steam but somehow I needed to yesterday. Anyway, back on track today and feeling tickety boo again. Very pleased to have found your blog, I love reading it and seeing what you're making or have found to work with x

      Delete
  10. Don't worry about moaning, I'm sure we all understand. This time of year is the worst and really can get you down. I haven't really blogged anything interesting for a while because like you I feel a bit stodgy.
    I'm sure we'll all bounce back once the buds start to appear.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stodgy was the word for yesterday, absolutely! I am feeling much lighter and more like myself today, which is a relief. I love reading your blog Bri, and will look forward to Spring and more of your lovely posts. Thank you for your kind words my dear, much appreciated xx

      Delete
  11. Absolutely no self pity at all about your post. We all have rubbish days and sharing with your blogging chums is honest and realistic. We all try and blog in a positive way but hearing that life isn't perfect sometimes can be just as important, as we all deal with ups and downs. I hope you are feeling ticketyboo again soon and remember, 'don't let a bad day make you feel you have a bad life'.

    Jean
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess friends help each other through the down bits as much as celebrating the ups, which is reassuring and a great comfort. So pleased to have found your blog, I always read it with interest and often amusement too :o) Thanks for your kind words Jean xx

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a rotten day and on top of all that your digestion played up. Hopefully, a day out in the fresh air watching birds will restore the spirits a little and recharge the batteries - its the only the thing that works for me! Well that and a little glass of wine later perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sea air and birds have helped enormously :o) Sorry to whinge yesterday, it's not really like me, I guess I just needed to let off steam to friends! You already know how much I value reading your blog, it is one of my absolute favourites so thank you for all the interesting posts and for your friendship x

      Delete
  13. Goodness you are entitled to down days and in fact you wouldn't be normal if you didn't have them. I'm sorry you are suffering with your digestion and hope it's OK today. You can whinge all you like and you don't have to compare to more serious illnesses (silly!), it's just as bad for anyone to have a day or more like that as it is for someone who has a life threatening disease. I was probably feeling a lot better than you were feeling yesterday! And it's good therapy to get it out of your system and you can't be superwoman all the time, you know. ;-)
    Hope you are feeling good today! As for virtual friends, often they are the best! Many of my virtual friends I know better than real ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'you know, the thought that you were feeling better than me yesterday has in itself cheered me up no end :o) I am more pleased to hear that than anything else my dear. Better here today- been outside, which is where I needed to be. And here's to virtual friends and the wonderful and interesting blogs they share with us xxx

      Delete
  14. There's nothing worse than feeling grotty when you are normally very healthy and active. Hope you feel better soon CT.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a rotten grotty person, I get very fed up with feeling down! Luckily for me, it doesn't last long. MUCH better today. Thanks so much for your kindness Carol, and for your lovely blog which always makes me smile xx

      Delete
  15. Hey CT,
    I am reading this post a little too late, but would echo what you have written about the wonderful online friendships that have been forged. I have come to value them very much indeed. Non-judgemental, empathic and congruent; the perfect bunch of person centred counsellors in fact! I think your blog is very personal actually. You may not dwell in the land of the glum very often, but you give us insight into your life in all manner of ways. From the moth box, to your lovely dogs. Your relationships at home and abroad. Your studies and passion for the environment and all that sails in her. I absolutely love visiting you here. It always warms the cockles of my heart. It is the perfect antidote to my maudlin self ;))
    With much love,
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a dear Leanne. I echo everything you said about the blogging community- a dear bunch of folks who lift you when you need them to and laugh with you when that's required too. There would be a big hole in my life if I wasn't blogging now. Thanks for your very kind words about the blog too- I can turn them all around and say them back to you because I love reading your posts as well and hearing all that you and the boys have been up to. Feeling much better now (phew) xx

      Delete
  16. Here from the bird watching post. Sorry I missed you feeling blue. Life is just so bloody shite sometimes isn't it. I don't know how we all carry on. But we do! I hope you are feeling tons better about everything xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those wretched days when nothing seemed to go right and all the wrongs just piled up, one on top of the other. But, steam released, sleep achieved, hot water drunk and a day outside had and I'm back to normal. SO pleased to have found your blog, Rach- you always make me smile and I love your humour and take on life. Good job we don't live next door or I suspect we'd spend all day laughing and nothing would ever get done! xx

      Delete
  17. We all have bad days now and then - all of us. I usually get over mine with a walk by the Bay of Fundy. My Mother told me once to put all the goodness in one hand, put all the others that bring you down in another and toss that one into the bay. Sometimes its not as easy as that, but we do get through the wretched ones, trust me, we do. I also learned from me Mum that tomorrow is another day. Take care kiddo, feel better with that walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend, all better now :o) Just off to check out Jack's encounter with the horses... :o)

      Delete
  18. I hope you are feeling better now CT :) I have gloomy days too, I think it would be wonderful if we could all be cheerful all the time, but I don't think that is possible. Anyway, sending happy thoughts :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks my dear :o) All better now xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x