Friday, 12 December 2014

Knitting, Baking And Garden Wildlife

Rainy and windy here, following the 'weather bomb' that forecasters assured us would pelt the south and west of the UK with high winds and torrential rain last night. I've seen worse and this morning it's just damp and grey. What is it with this need to overly dramatise everything?

J was home last night for her birthday celebrations, we haven't seen her since September because she's spending a year in France before uni next Autumn. She's more or less fluent now and is having a ball, working in a school, at a soup kitchen and writing pieces for the local paper. All great experience. She's in rural France and said last night it is much colder there than in the UK, so she was pleased with the mittens I'd knitted for her.

I made her a Chocolate Brownie Cake courtesy of Nigel Slater and it ended up rather rich and gooey which I've not achieved with Brownies before- my other recipe produces gooey chewy versions which are heavenly, but this one is something else. I'm going to make another one for the mince pie party and if I get time for our end of term BBQ in the woods next week. It is sin on a plate......



L has been eating us out of house and home this week (growing) so I made him a round of vanilla buns too. They came out of the oven just as he got home from school and now there are not many left :o)


The new blanket is all but finished, I've got a few pieces left to knit to even up the end then a final line to do for the edging. He and both the dogs enjoy lying on it in front of the fire in the evening....


I've also knitted M a hat (on request). I'm getting better at them I think....


I've had two days off this week and feel better for it. Between college, work, Christmas preps and everyday running a home and family stuff it has been a very busy few weeks and I was glad of the time to be still, to walk the dogs through quiet woods and fields, to watch the birds, to breath and to spend time catching up on things without feeling I was rushing from one to the other without really feeling any of them.

The garden is full of birds now the colder weather is here and the owls are pretty busy and noisy at night too. When I was out running the other evening at dusk a Tawny Owl swooped down across the lane in front of me, glided up into a nearby tree and settled with a rustle of wings. He turned his head and stared intently at me in that way owls have and hooted softly. Magic.

I'll leave you with the Garden Family and the doggy folks, who are both in need of a bath and may well get one this weekend. They will be as overjoyed as L, who detests baths at present and has to shoe-horned into them. I fear he is fast descending into Teenage Grunge Mode :o)

Bluetits

Poppet (with poorly leg)


Collar Dove

Nuthatch


Ratty

Woody
 
Doggy People Ted and Pops

Have a lovely day everyone,

CT :o)























18 comments:

  1. Those gooey cakes gave me indigestion just looking at them but I'm sure they were lovely.
    I meant to ask you about a Jackdaw we found sitting in the middle of the road a couple of days ago. He had something wrong with his eyes I think. We took him to our local wild life man http://www.rogerswildliferescue.co.uk/ and hoped for the best, just wondered if this was a problem in the crow family.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very rich- I only managed one :o)

      Not sure about the Jackdaw, I don't think eye problems are particularly associated with Corvids more than other birds, perhaps it was an infection. Thanks for the link- it looks like an interesting place. Have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  2. I can just see Teddy and Poppy commandeering the blanket as their own and dragging it all around the house and garden getting up to allsorts!! It looks great though, just like a patchwork quilt in wool!! I hope that you have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would if they could- I have already had words with both of them about not scrabbling on it. They've asked me to knit them their own one, which will doubtless be my next project :o)
      Have a lovely weekend too xx

      Delete
  3. Oh the goodies looks delicious. I had to look away! Love the 2 dogs at the door. I am sure like you they will be overjoyed at bath time!!!!! Love all the critters from your garden. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very funny in the bath, both just stand stock still while they get shampooed and showered, then get their own back by shaking all over the walls when they get out :o) How is your daughter's dog doing? Have a lovely weekend too x

      Delete
  4. The brownies look delicious and the vanilla buns :) Well done on the blanket - its looking lovely. I suspect I'll still be knitting mine this time next year!!! I hope your daughter has a lovely birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished blanket in due course too :o) Have a lovely weekend, Caroline (so pleased Simon got through last weekend but sad to see Pixie go. Wonder who will win? My favourite is Flackers) x

      Delete
  5. Never thought I would say it. That rat is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather, isn't it? Probably wouldn't be if there were hundreds, but two I can manage ;o)

      Delete
  6. I see you still have your rat still! There are certainly more birds appearing now because of the weather aren't there! Your brownies look wonderful, Harry goes through eating fazes & then grows so we have to buy new clothes. I'm rather looking forward to my two weeks off, I'm overdue for some breathing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been under the hedge all summer Jo, were teeny weeny babies a few months ago now big chaps and chapesses. I suspect new clothes will be on the cards for L in the next couple of months (and doubtless shoes too- groan). How is the blanket coming on? You'll get it finished in a fortnight off work, surely? (!) x

      Delete
  7. I had lots of birds here this morning queueing for the feeders, wish I could get some lovely photos like yours but as soon as I get the camera they disappear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep the camera by the kitchen window, but have to jump through hoops (quietly) to get the pics of Woody- he's off at the first sign of movement :o)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos, we're huge bird fans here, especially my eldest. He would be very envious of your owls, and the nuthatch as well. Lovely baking, I really like the look of that chocolate brownie cake. Yum! Wishing you a very good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ :o) More baking to come this weekend - I'm hoping to stave off a pre-Christmas panic by doing it early and freezing stuff. It's a great time of year for birds isn't it? xx

      Delete
  9. How nice to have family home for Christmas, lovely food..and great photos of the birds..had to go out and buy loads of bird food as there is a constant stream of birds in now.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed the birds this summer and of course you'll understand what I mean when I say it's lovely having them all here now all the inverts are asleep! I'm already getting excited at the thought of next Spring and all the small things waking up/ appearing. xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x