Friday, 7 November 2014

Baths Are For Sissies And The Great Knit-Off Is On

I met Mrs M and Mrs I in the woods for a muddy dog walk this morning. We have five dogs between us and Poppy is the smallest of them all. As a result, she returns from one of these sojourns more caked in mud than the rest of them put together. This morning was no exception.....



BTW, do you like her new bra? This was inspired by Lily, who's lovely JR Flossy wears one (you can find her fabulous blog here). Pop is a puller when she's on the lead and I have been worrying about her throat getting damaged (very common among small dogs, or so I'm told), so a harness seemed like a simple solution. And it works! She doesn't pull as much and if she does it isn't damaging her throat. She is also pretty good about getting into her new bra, something not particularly aided by Teddy who considers it fascinating and gets in the way trying to sniff it.


Anyway, back to this morning. Both the dogs returned home absolutely disgusting so they went into the Bath Of Doom one at a time. They came out sparkly, but did this to the bath....Yuech.


Clean Ted.....
 

I have cleaned the bath, so L couldn't use it as another excuse not to wash. Now all I need is a way to persuade him to take his school stuff off at night and put his PJs on when he goes to bed and we'll be almost there. Teenagers are hideous things really, aren't they?

Last night I dropped the cheese biscuit tin on the floor. The lid flew off, the biscuits flew out. Our kids are very fond of quoting the 5 seconds rule- if something's been on the floor fewer than five seconds it's safe to eat it, but I come from a family who have always just picked stuff up that's fallen on the floor, blown on it and eaten it, and I'm still here. There is such a thing as being too fastidious- after all, humans have survived far longer without bacterial wipes than they have with them.

Anyway, Teddy cleaned up the mess for me. It is useful, having your own personal, furry hoover....


Pop (usually the first to guzzle anything that falls to the floor before you've even realised you've dropped it) was, for some reason, reticent. I think perhaps it was because the biscuits were in the kitchen, which is Out Of Bounds To Dogs- maybe all that training is finally rubbing off??

I don't think he should be in there, mum?

Erm, Teddy- we're not supposed to be in the kitchen, and mum can see you!

But they do look nice, those biscuits.....sigh......
In the end I felt sorry for her and gave her a piece. She still wouldn't come into the kitchen though and took it off to her bed to eat :o)

Knitting Season is well and truly underway here. Below is a pic of the blanket I made last year. We've had frosts here this week so it's back on the bed and keeping us nice and warm and snuggly.....


I am not a neat and tidy knitter (really? can you tell?) but it gives me enormous pleasure, and the sense of achievement when I finally stitched all those ramshackle squares together last winter and stretched the blanket out across our bed and slept warm under it all night was something else. If I could only save one thing from the house in the event of a fire it would be this blanket (apart from the kids, the husband and the dogs of course).

I am now well on my way to making one for L, who spent much of last winter stealing mine by wrapping himself up in it and lying on the floor under it pretending to be a rug. Here is Progress So Far.... It's all made with chunky wool on big needles because it takes half the time and is warmer in the long run. I'm planning to make L's single, which means it'll be done before Christmas (hopefully). I suppose I can always then set about making another double one if needs be, or maybe some more singles for F and J? I've sorted out the colours that I want to knit the rest of the squares in and have some gorgeous rich oranges and umbers, as well as greens and creams and browns. It should look nice when it's all done. The good thing about making one of these blankets is that you really don't have to be an ace knitter to end up with something lovely- any wonky edges get lost when you stitch it all together, and you can tidy up the outside lines by knitting longer pieces for the edges (as per the longer piece on the left of the pic below).
 

And here is a (small) selection of the mountains of wool I have somehow managed to accrue....Thank God J is away in France, otherwise her bedroom wouldn't have been free to become a general craft storage room and then I don't know what I'd have done with it all :o) 

The circular balls you can see were my absolute bargain from last winter- reduced from £14 each to just £2.50, which explains why I went mad and bought most of the stock :o) D'you think the shop saw me coming?......


There are three more bag fulls like this. I daren't go out and buy any more (just yet). 

I'll leave you with some beautiful blooms the lovely Fi bought last weekend when she came over for supper. They are still going strong and look lovely in the bright sun we have here today.....

 

And finally finally a couple of shots of Mr Sparrow and Mrs Blackbird. The sparrows have been a real success story here, bucking the national trend of declining numbers. We had none 8 years ago when we arrived; Mr S turned up two years after that with Mrs S following the next year, and now there is a noisy colony of 19!



My new Weather Station has just arrived so I'm off to put it up and connect it to the computer, then I'll be able to bore you with Interesting Facts About Weather next time :o)

Wishing you all a Lovely Weekend,

CT x

24 comments:

  1. Hi CT - I'm working at home today with Flossy (when I am at the office she goes to my mum) - wish I could do this everyday. Anyway, a quick break and a peek at your blog... I am so pleased Poppy is getting on well in her harness. She looks sweet in it and I am sure it will be good for her. I'm really so smitten with her - despite the reports of the odd poo on the carpet - she is just gorgeous! And I love the knitting results. Lastly, thank you very much for the very nice mention. Pats to both Ted and Poppy and I hope they have got over their baths! A lovely weekend to you too - L xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working at home is more peaceful here when both dogs have had a good hour's walk first thing and then fall asleep when we get home, otherwise Pop likes to sleep on my lap and I spend the entire time balancing around her! I am really enjoying your blog and have pointed Ma in your direction as I know she will love Flossy too (having a couple of small furry people of her own). I often show M Flossy's latest pictures and L knows all about her as well- we are huge fans here :o) xx

      Delete
  2. I love a shaggy dog story, Womble always gets filthy and my bath looks just like yours!

    I do enjoy you pictures you manage to show the beauty in things we see everyday. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to tell you I am quite a lot in love with Womble. If he ever goes missing you'll know it's because I've womble-napped him :o) x

      Delete
  3. It is defo the weather for knitting. i need to crack on with a blanket I'm making and a cowl. I need to spend less time on the pc though and more crafting as I have quite a few projects in the queue.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the reasons I love Winter- dogs passed out snoring in front of the log fire, a glass of warm mulled wine on the table, and a pile of knitting on the sofa with the night black as pitch outside and the rain bashing down and the wind whistling against the windows.... x

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh when I saw your dog cleaning up the fallen biscuits. I had a Bassett Hound and we called her ' our hover' No food was ever left on the floor!! Your dogs clean up well although I am sure hey really do not like a bath!! The flowers are still lovely. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are brilliant as hoovers of crumbs aren't they? Thank goodness really as the hoover doesn't come out here as often as it should! Have a lovely weekend too :o)

      Delete
  5. Had to call Mr.T in to look at Poppy and the biscuit pictures are too funny, you sure have trained them well, or should I say just Poppy. ha,ha.
    Like the look of all that wool, could just look at wool all day, that's how sad I am when it comes to wool and fabric. lol
    Good to hear about the sparrows, we used to have them but the neighbours are all hell bent on taking out all the bushes and trees in favour of gravel and decking around here.
    Have a good weekend.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to hear about the decking- hopefully people will get back to loving grass and flowers. Yes, Pop looked a right old state but was good about the biscuits :o) Am with you on wool love. Feel a visit to the local wool shop coming on, now we've mentioned it... xx

      Delete
  6. Wonderful pictures of the dogs! It is usually Teddy that notices when Poppy is doing wrong! Poppy must be growing up. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only thinking about you this morning, wondering how the new house is going. Hope all is well. Yes, normally Ted tells me Pops has been naughty but I think this time the biscuits just got the better of him! Would be lovely to think Pop was finally starting to grow up a bit :o) xx

      Delete
  7. I'm a woolaholic. I like stroking all the pretty colours! I too buy from bargain bins and now ebay! I have a zillion patterns in mind and yet I'm still on with a jumper I started months ago!! I like the thrill of new wool new pattern! I love your blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is, having written the post I am now gripped by the desire to go out wool shopping, but I really need to use up quite a lot of what I already have before I can justify it..... :o)

      Delete
  8. I do love your blanket - you are inspiring me to carry on with mine! Please pass on any tips as to how you sewed the squares together so neatly. I really don't have a clue - did you use wool or cotton thread? and what colour? Love the tip about using chunky wool and big needles - all my squares are just made of double knitting wool and are taking ages! I'll have to visit some craft shops and see if I can get some wool bargains :)

    Lovely pictures of Poppy and Teddy and garden birds. House Sparrows still do well here too but rarely see a starling in the garden these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a wool sewing needle and wool to sew all the squares together- just normal sewing, nothing fancy, and it seems to have worked because it's not fallen apart yet :o) I got a lot of my chunky wool from ebay- search for 'chunky' or 'super chunky' wool. It's reasonably priced and was all delivered pronto, no hassle. I think the needles I'm using are size 12, although I also have some size 20s which made beautiful lacy scarves last Christmas. It was fun to play around with the wool and needle sizes, I like experimenting. Can't wait to see your blanket when it's done :o)

      Delete
  9. Oh my, that certainly is a lot of muddy water isn't it! So funny that Pops didn't want to help with the kitchen clean up given all that she gets up to normally!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- she really surprised me re the not setting paw into the kitchen. Just wish she'd develope the same respect for the carpets and do her toilette outside! xx

      Delete
  10. I think your dogs come top of the Grubby Dog stakes! We used to have a rescue pony called Itsy, and she would ALWAYS roll after she had had her feed. I have a photo of her absolutely plastered in really gooey mud, looking so pleased with herself!

    I think you have plenty of wool for this winter's knitted blankets and you got a real bargain with those reduced balls. I am back to putting together a quilt and banging my head against the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our ponies always rolled after baths, in the dirtiest bit of field they could find :o) My sister's grey was the worst offender. He would find poo to lie in after a pre-show bath and do it in the ten minutes she'd skipped off to eat her breakfast in :o(

      Delete
  11. The Bath of Doom...love it, that's what it shall be called from now on in our house! Great to see your knitting projects as I think that's what mine would look like, but I want the same as you, something warm and not too expensive to wrap up in or for the cats as they love snuggling up...so these would be ideal. I'm sure I said the same last year and never got around to it, maybe this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting started on the blanket that's the thing. Once you get some squares done you'll be inspired to keep going... :o)

      Delete
  12. Hey CT,
    Firstly as a British person, the weather is always interesting. Secondly I am loving your chunky knits. Thirdly we have a Blackbird pair that visit us regularly. During the summer the male sits on the chimney of the house at the end of my garden and heralds the evening. It's one of my my absolute favourite things to hear. That and my children chuckling.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love weather too and am married to someone who has a secret desire to be a weather man :o) Blackbirds singing is such a quintessentially English sound. I could listen to them all day long xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x