Monday, 13 October 2014

A Rainy Day Assortment Of Thoughts, Three Moths, And A Cure For Spiders

It's been raining here all day.

I took the doggy people out for a walk through the woods with Mrs M and their doggy buddies Oscar and Lucy first thing. By the end of it Pop resembled a new creature previously unknown to science. She looked like she'd spawned from a patch of mud, while Teddy returned sporting a tide line at the top of his legs that made him look like he was comprised of two-tone fur.

When M was a boy there was a family in his village whose dogs were called Flopsy and Scraggy. Flopsy was a big gentle loping Irish Wolf Hound and Scraggy was a terrier. I feel it is almost worth getting two more dogs just to name them Flopsy and Scraggy. It particularly tickles me to think of M having to call that when out walking. It reminds me of some dear farming friends I grew up with whose kittens were called 'Cat' and 'Astrophe'.....

L has arrived home soaked to the skin from his walk off the bus and down the lane. He came bearing supper for tonight in the shape of a rather delicious-looking 'Mediterranean Chicken Slice' which he made at school. I should not be eating this as it contains fairly large doses of all the food types I am trying to avoid, but given that a) it looks delicious, b) it means I don't have to cook tonight and c) I can go back on my stomach-friendly foods tomorrow, I think I shall. It will help wash the wine down.

For someone who shows no tendency whatsoever to be remotely interested in cooking at home, he has proved to be a mean chef at school and his creations easily rival mine in the taste stakes. Although I have to say he's got it sorted in terms of food prep: I am his unofficial dogs body Sous Chef, and generally be found late on a Sunday evening rushing about the kitchen like a mad woman collecting all the ingredients and packing them up for him.
I take some solace from the fact that I have at least managed to train him as far as wet clothes are concerned. He now peels off his wet shirt and hangs it on the radiator, instead of leaving it in a crumpled damp heap on the floor for me to walk on, or for him to shake out and put back on the next day.
Unfortunately, he hasn't yet got as far as removing the rubbish from his blazer pocket.....

 
In other news, M has been coming up with some Rather Natty Names for all the Potential New Moths he is confident I will soon start finding. He is very good at this. I am not. I fear it is an art I do not possess. Some are of course unrepeatable (or rather, they are repeatable, but at the risk of making all our ears turn pink). My favourite of the mentionable ones so far is Dusty Fidget, which isn't all that outlandish when put alongside actual real moth names like Cousin German and Dingy Footman. If all else fails it is reassuring to know that he can at least rely on a job inventing new additions to the moth lexicon.

Here are a few who have visited the moth box in recent days. Luckily (for them) they already have names. First is the rather lovely Barred Sallow, second a variety of Common Marbled Carpet and finally, the Green Brindled Crescent. The count for the year creeps ever upward, but will it reach 311 and equal last year's? (ooh, the tension. I expect you can hardly bear it....).





I have been watching Peaky Blinders- have you? You may or may not remember that Tommy Shelby is my on/off affair TVBF so it was with considerable excitement that I awaited his return in this second series. Only to be put off by the extreme violence of it. Where is Grace when you need her? Her gentle influence is missing and I wonder whether she'll be back. I loved her singing. And she wielded a mean knee when necessary too. If she isn't, I will be defecting to Our Girl, which has the consolation prize of Captain James (although I have to share him with ma and my sis who have both already laid claim).

In other news, M has a new TVGF in the form of YET ANOTHER blasted weather girl. I told him she looks like a lollipop. He just grinned. Infuriating man.

Waitrose has just arrived so bear with me while I get the food in. When I come back I will tell you a secret recipe for Keeping Spiders Away......

......The poor man was soaked and Teddy barked at him while Pop jumped up and down like she was concealing springs or extremely small trampolines under her paws.

Anyway, Spiders....

Last year I was told that Conkers are a natural insect repellant. They contain a bitter chemical called Saponin which spiders are not keen on. So, to keep spiders away, scatter a few conkers in every room. Apparently, this also works on clothes moths (which are ONE species - Tineola bisselliella) and as we are beset with these moths I have now hung a couple of bags of conkers inside the wardrobes as well as putting them on the floor. I used a couple of organza bags for this purpose and they have done the job well. I only have conkers in four rooms, so tomorrow will send L off to school with instructions to pick up a bag full from the tree on the playing field and then I shall distribute them throughout the house and see whether it works. The big 'uns (the ones that wear hobnail boots and scamper about) are coming in and I am not a fan :o(


 

Well, I have waffled on enough and will let you get back to whatever it was you were doing before you kindly stopped to read this. Have a pleasant evening all,

CT :o)








20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words and your healing, I do appreciate it. I enjoyed reading this post very much, an interesting glimpse into your life,as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in my thoughts a great deal at the moment, Cait. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. xx

      Delete
  2. Great joy, I can now use my right hand on the mouse, so able to reply :) still can't feed my self and struggle to get dressed...but hay..ho..
    Have put conkers on my window sill last week as I was told of this great idea, I'm OK with spiders but my son is not, tried to explain to him the conkers were not there to throw at the spider... there is something quite amusing seeing a six foot plus teenager screaming like a girl..
    The names of moths are brilliant, should pick a moth name for our self..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the image of a six foot teenager screaming about a spider! Although I am hardly one to be smug as I scream too :o)

      So pleased your hand is returning to usefulness- you are very kind to comment and it is always appreciated but please don't go doing too much on that hand before it is ready.

      Moth names for us- brilliant idea! I shall get M on the case forthwith! xx

      Delete
  3. Remember my post last month re spiders? I FOUND one living in my bowl of conkers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the moth name-very clever, Hubby has a knack for putting rude names to plants he can't remember :)
    I've heard about the conkers trick and mixed results, I thought they needed to be crushed to release the smell-at least there are not too many spiders in this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wild try crushing them, or drilling a hole in them maybe? x

      Delete
  5. Empty sweet wrappers in coat pockets and rushing round getting food tech ingredients ready at the last minute ring many bells here !!

    Son has conkers all round his bedroom re: spiders. Not sure if they work though as I am constantly being called to evict spiders from said room!! I didn't know they worked for moths though - interesting as we have White Shouldered House Moths that refuse to disappear despite completely emptying a room and steam cleaning the carpet :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's reassuring in a way to know that nothing much changes :o)

      Delete
  6. You have such great posts and I love how you spiel your life around them with a tid bit of this n that. Well rounded and most interesting. I never heard of conkers being used. Great idea, however, we have none growing over here. I will just have to use the olde method - we use cedar chips in a small bag similar to your organza bag and that seems to work on moths. Thank you for another great post and have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Horse Chestnuts were absent from your neck of the woods. I bet the cedar chips smell lovely and fresh. Thank you for your kind comment :o)

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, I remember the last minute getting the ingredients panic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny how many of us share that experience- I wonder whether the schools realise? Another favourite is dashing in to Waitrose at 8am hurriedly before school to buy said ingredients, and then getting boy back in the afternoon and learning he didn't use half of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the moth names! We have VERY few conker trees round these parts and I'm desperate for some for my mum's pathalogical fear of spiders. She gets me to spray lavender oil everywhere which they seem to dislike too. Been off line for a week so good to be back! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how many people have spider-based fears. I've puzzled over it for years. I was once told that phobias are childhood fears that haven't been dealt with so get focused on something physical to make them manageable. Glad you're back x

      Delete
  10. You just know that I am intrigued by the unrepeatable moth names don't you!!! I don't like those massive hobnail boot spiders either, but you knew that already given my bug squeamishness! You must wonder why I read your blog, but I love to see your pictures, they are quite safe to me! Anyhow, I love the news of Poppy and Teddy, especially the descriptions of the scrapes that they get themselves into! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd need several glasses of wine before I could be persuaded to write the rude moths names here!
      You'll be fairly safe on the bug-front here over the winter as most of them are sleeping, apart from the mothy folk of course :o)
      Pop has been reasonably well behaved this week, so fewer scrapes to report, apart from doing a poo on the Brand New Carpet!!!! xx

      Delete
  11. Me and my sister are responsible for my brother's spider phobia. I am too ashamed to tell you what we did to make that so.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x