Monday, 1 September 2014

Pop And Ted Cause Mayhem At The V.E.T. And A Moth Box Disaster Occurs

So, I'm Up With The Lark this morning to get to the vets for 9am.

The fact that we made it there at all is frankly a miracle, because late last night Pop had a too-close encounter with the Moth Box that nearly ended in disaster all round. It was sitting on its table in the garden lighting up everything for several miles around and M had taken the dogs out for a pee before bedtime with Pop on the lead as per vets' instructions. Apparently, he has trouble thinking and seeing at the same time, because despite the blinding beacon shining in the garden, he somehow he didn't notice she was getting very close to it.

Her lead got wrapped around the electric cable that feeds the box, and the entire contraption, box, table and all, was pulled over and came crashing down around her. I heard M yell her name, heard the sound of everything collapsing and for one utterly horrific moment I thought she'd been killed underneath it all.

Fortunately, half a second later she came pelting round the side of the house, dragging her lead with her and looking absolutely terrified. She made a bee line straight for my feet where she sat, shaking and trembling until I persuaded her that she was alright.

The Moth Box survived too (mercifully, because they are around three hundred quid to replace) and even the moths were alright. A little surprised at finding themselves upended on the grass, but essentially unharmed. In a way it was a blessing because there were five hornets in the box and I was able to remove them. Although not without some personal risk as two of them landed on me.

Erm, I called out to M who by this time had gone back inside to reassure a still quivering Poppy, Erm, I don't want to worry you, but I've got TWO HORNETS crawling up my back. Can you rescue me please?

In a minute, came the unconcerned reply.

In a minute?! Flippin' hell, I thought.

So I walk towards the back door (as calmly as it's possible to with two hornets crawling up your back buzzing angrily and getting dangerously close to your hair/ ear/ general face area) and say in a voice of rising hysteria: I've got two hornets on my back. Can you help! 

At which point an extremely alarmed husband explodes from the back door yelling: Oh my God! I thought you said there were two hornets on the grass!

Anyway, they were removed and I remain sting-free.

So Pops and Ted and I arrive at the vets this morning where Poppy elicits various oohs and ahhs (because she's in her stripy jim jams and she looks cute), and much excited sniffing of bums goes on (between the dogs, obviously). And all is going fine until an enormous Alsatian comes in and they both suddenly go ballistic.

Teddy's yelling his head off as if he's being murdered and poor Reenie on the phone can't hear a word she's saying, and then Pops starts up with her high-pitched whistling, giving her brother back up. To call that whistle piercing is an understatement. What makes it worse is that none of the other dogs in the waiting room are making a single sound. They are all sitting on the floor by their parent's feet, obedient and quiet, politely watching this fascinating display of lunacy from my two hooligans, who by this time are straining at their leads and rushing backwards and forwards under and around the chairs of the waiting room in such a great state of unbridled excitement that it isn't long before I find myself caught in the centre of an intricate web of dog lead knitting, from which it is virtually impossible to extricate myself without assitance.

The whole thing is made much, much worse by the immaculate woman sitting opposite. I am in my usual state of disrepair: scruffy jeans and ancient body warmer (which has threads pulled out and contains various dubious stains of ancient origin) finished off with four-year old Cath Kidston trainers that to be honest saw better days a year ago, clean but scraped back hair and for once some makeup, although inexpertly applied because it was a last-minute panic application following a glance in the mirror as I was about to leave. She on the other hand, is wearing one of those neat beige belted-up macs over clean dark blue jeans that end in neat boots, her hair is up in one of those fancy twirly french pleat things and her makeup looks like it's been done by a professional at one of the counters in John Lewis.

Her two equally air-brushed children are staring in open and wide-eyed horror at T and P's antics and I'm thinking it's probably a good thing I decided to leave L sleeping in this morning, otherwise he'd have been with me, which would mean his clothes would have consisted of something along the lines of jeans that have holes where both the knees should be and his favourite evolution t-shirt, the one that shows the evolved human flicking a V at the next one in the line and bearing the legend 'Stop Following Me!', as well as various pen-knives which invariably dangle from his belt at any one time, and a small bullet he's taken to wearing recently on a chain round his neck. 

She smiles a smile of such pure patronising disdain when I finally manage to free myself from the dog lead knitting and have grabbed Teddy's nose with my hand and effectively muzzled him so no further noise comes out, that I find myself contemplating whether it might be possible to remove her perfectly clean (I'm suspicious it had been shampooed for the occasion) Labrador and roll it in a muddy puddle outside.

I breathed a sigh of relief when the (extremely young, or maybe I am just getting extremely old?) vet called us in. Pops went first and the happy news is the stitches are all out. The less happy news is that she's got to do another two days on lead duty. Still, silver linings and all.

And LOOK: Woo Hoo! No more PJs!.......


Or not.....


 


That particular celebration proved to be over hasty. They need to be on till the scab she's created dries, because as soon as we got home she started picking at it. Lovely.

Teddy, meanwhile screamed throughout the entire process of his inoculation, and when she offered him the bribery biscuit at the end he didn't even deign to take it from her hand. Instead, he sniffed it once and turned his nose very deliberately away. Oh dear. He's fine now, but he told me on the way home he never ever wants to go to the V.E.T.s again.

I got home and despite all probability it wasn't even half past nine. 

I soothed my nerves with the relative peace of going through the rescued moth box, and will leave you with a couple of pics of survivors of the night's adventures......

Perky-eyed September Thorn

'I surrender!' Sexton or Burying Beetle Nicrophorus investigator (the undertakers of the beetle world, they bury the bodies of small birds and mammals and then lay their eggs on them)
 
Sorry, that last one was a bit gruesome (if useful) so I'll say goodbye properly with a pic of a droplet-covered spider's web, taken on the lane this morning. It is Quite Possibly the last offering from my faithful old Lumix, which is giving up the ghost. I am off to get a replacement this afternoon because I can not bare to be without a camera. I have been told I will be 'astounded at the advances in technology over the last eight years.' More sales-people talk? We'll see. I am NOT going to get it from any large or well-known chain stores, but instead am giving my business to a smaller and more local one. I'm not making that mistake again........

 
Hope all are well?

CT :-)

32 comments:

  1. Thank you for a brilliant post that had me smiling all the way through. I've often pondered how some people manage to look immaculate in every situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only look immaculate when I spend half the day trying, and to be honest I usually can't be bothered and have better things to do. At least I wasn't dressed as a fairy (complete with sparkly wings and long pink wig), a la the time the vicar's wife came unexpectedly collecting for the summer raffle. She's never looked at me the same way since :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, does Poppy look a cutey in her stripped suit. Glad you were okay with Hornetgate! (personally, I would have totally lost it and given a convenient opportunity the hornets would totally be no more!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does carry off the stripy jim jams well, doesn't she? I confess I was more than a little concerned about being stung...twice....but all's well that ends well :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear but such a funny post. I do hope your afternoon was more soothing. I love that perky-eyed September Thorn-I wish I looked that perky occasionally.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A much calmer afternoon, thank you Shauna :-) I went to see mum and have been doing healing on horses, who all seemed to enjoy it x

      Delete
  4. Your dogs make me laugh. The scene would have been much the same had I been there with our two dogs, Jenny and Fergus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased I'm not the only one, Kristie :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh Lordy - you have my sympathies over the debacle at the vet especially with Lady High-and-Mighty opposite. I hope her oh-so-perfect Lab rolls in something Foxy and smelly on the next walk!! Those pj's are rather fetching.

    SO glad you escaped a fall-out with the Hornets (PLURAL - OMG!!) I can remember my dad telling me that a mate of his (1920s wer're talking) had a Hornet's nest in the thatch outside his bedroom window, and I don't think my dad was too keen to go and play with him after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your 1920s tale- a hornet's nest would definitely be something to fret about!
      Yes, Lady High And Mighty felt very superior. I just hope her dog did a poo in the surgery after I left :-)

      Delete
  6. You must stop making me laugh it hurts!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Chickers! But they do say laughter is the best medicine x

      Delete
  7. Glad both Pops and the moth box were OK! I'm glad I've never encountered anyone like that at the vets. I always wear my scruffiest clothes because cats seem to moult all over the place when on the vets' table out of fear. Your dogs are just adorable and I like that Sexton Beetle - never seen one of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I felt tempted to say in a loud voice as I left: these are my scruffiest clothes (which would have been a complete lie). I often get Sexton beetles in the moth box and they are frequently afflicted with numerous mites, poor things :-)

      Delete
  8. oh, what a post! Never a dull moment with your to dogs is there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly feels that way, Louise. Don't they say pets are like their owners, or is it the other way round?! x

      Delete
  9. Thank you for such a lovely post, made me smile...
    The first moth looks totally whired, great photo.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear :-) Thorns often seem to look like they've just snorted something but are usually the ones who sleep placidly in the box all day, and are pretty biddable for piccies too xx

      Delete
  10. Great post today! I'm glad Poppy is on the mend, although the jim,jams are too cute. I love the bright eyes of the moth. Gorgeous. And I frown on the immaculate too. It's all very suspicious if you ask me.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be tempted to keep her in them for cuteness factor, except they need to be continually removed for wee and poo purposes :-)
      Definitely suspicious to be immaculate at the vets- perhaps she has her eye on the lovely Guy, who happens to be the only male vet..... xx

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Glad it gave you a chuckle. I really should make more effort before I go out in public but the dogs would still cause havoc regardless :-)

      Delete
  12. OMG!!! That sounds like quite an adventure at the vets! At least your two provided some entertainment for everyone else and it really does show that Poppy doesn't let anything get her down doesn't it. A great lesson for us all really! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remind me of Pooh and Tigger - Ted usually calm and content but given to occasional Piglet-esque outbursts of fretting, while Poppy just bounds at life with utter confidence and exuberance. It is very hard to do anything other than smile with her, and Ted is the greatest comfort giver I have ever met- always there when you need him and always steady. We are so lucky to have them with us xx

      Delete
  13. A very amusing post CT :) Glad Poppy and the moth trap survived the incident - you were so lucky the bulb didn't smash. Love the colours on the Sexton Beetle - the ones I get here are all black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mark of how much I love her that I didn't even think about what state the box was in for a good fifteen minutes :-) The light went out and M feared the worst, but I just put it the right way up, switched it off and then on again and hey presto, It came back on and was fine all night. Double phew! :-)

      Delete
  14. What a great post to keep me entertained at my desk this lunch hour on an otherwise rather fraught day. Thank you! "Dog lead knitting" will definitely be added to my vocab. And the picture of Poppy in her PJs is just too adorable for words. What a little darling! Hope she is doing well and those scabs drying nicely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it gave you some respite- fraught days are never great. I expect Flossy will work some magic when you get home to banish it :-) Pops is coming on in leaps and bounds (literally). I have given up on the lead and we've discarded the jim jams now too x

      Delete
  15. What an hilarious post. I could just see you in my mind's eye. It's mornings like that when the idea of a small sherry seems very tempting, ha ha.

    Jean

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you, one of those 'natural people' who does not dress up for vet visits or many other tasks. I have laughed at this post and that moth image is brilliant. Hope the new camera is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the striped onesie. Urgh I hate hornets - you are very calm, I would have been rushing around shrieking.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x