Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Inventive Uses For A Plant Pot And A Withering Put Down In Waitrose...

While the rest of the country is in a twirl about The Scottish Question, here in Hampshire we have far more pressing issues to deal with. Foremost of these is the Squirrel Over The Other Side Of The Fence, whose furry nut-burying habits have been driving both dogs to distraction. Ted can't bear a squirrel and he seems to have passed on this significant intolerance to Pop.

Pop meanwhile is so small that she can't see over the fence without assistance, and short of standing on Ted she has come up with a novel way of getting around the problem.



Squirrel Watching In Action....


Yesterday's post and several of your comments reminded me of an exchange I had with L while shopping in Waitrose last year. A charming young chappy was serving us on the till and he and I got chatting. He told me he was working hard to save up to move in with his girlfriend, and I said I was working hard to save up to go back to university after a break of twenty years. At which point he said you don't look old enough to have been at uni twenty years ago.
I beamed at this, while L gave the lad a disgusted look and muttered something under his breath that sounded an awful lot like schmoozer.
I was drawing breath to respond to this lovely compliment when my son elbowed me sharply in the ribs and said Don't.
Don't what? 
Don't tell him you can't decide whether to adopt him or kiss him.
I stared at him. How did you know I was going to say that?
He rolled his eyes. Because it's what you always say. And he puts on a high-pitched squeaky girly voice: Ooh, I don't know whether to kiss you or adopt you.

We finish packing the bags and I say thank you to the nice young man and wish him well with his flat hunting and moving in and paying bills etc etc. When we get back to the car I nudge L and say with a grin: So, your old mum's still got it, eh?
Wrong on so many levels, replies L calmly, except for the old bit. And he hunkers down with a grin into his headphones.

Children are masters at precision puncturing of parental egos with a single withering put-down, aren't they? Incidentally, I hope you appreciated that alliterative tongue-twister. M tells me that they are the  most commonly used of all phrases, according to a study he read recently. This resulted in us having an in depth conversation in the garden last night as to why that might be, which inevitably included thinking up some colourfully inventive examples of our own, which may have got a bit out of hand and no doubt explains why my neighbour was giving me a wide berth this morning :o)

I'll leave you with a picture I took yesterday of our one and only water lily flower. From this angle I think it looks like a boiled egg more than a flower.


CT :o)

16 comments:

  1. Such sweet dogs! I have found that teenage boys have the most withering put-downs for their parents! My eldest had also perfected my 'No' stare off to a fine art. The youngest is yet to hit his teenage years, & is still rather sweet, sadly he turns 13 next month. I'm bracing myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only they channeled all that inventive energy into homework it would be straight a's all the way :o)
      L turned 13 last August so you have my sympathies. Although he has been a teenager in spirit for at least the last two years so I had fair warning... x

      Delete
  2. Oh how cute, I wish I could grow dogs in pots ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's come up nicely, hasn't she? I obviously didn't add enough grow powder though as she's a tad on the small side.... :o)

      Delete
  3. Love the clever little doggies.
    I know all about put downs having had my Grandson live with me from 14 -18 years old. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a brave woman, Bri. But I bet he loves his granny to pieces- L adores ma, it's a special relationship quite different to any other... xx

      Delete
  4. It looks as if Pop has got a better view than Ted now! The pictures are so natural and cute. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has. She is a little more inventive :o) x

      Delete
  5. Poppy and Teddy peeking over the fence are just too gorgeous. Great photographs. I have a picture of Flossy sunning herself in a flowerpot - I need to dig (excuse the terrible pun) it out and post it.Flower pots clearly have their uses for small dogs.
    The Waitrose exchange had me laughing too especially after the shorts story x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see Flossy in her plant pot- bet that's very sweet :o)

      Delete
  6. It looks like a Cadbury's creme egg, I would say. Yum!
    Love your exchange at the checkout! Glad I never have anyone with me to put down MY flirting!
    All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does!
      Re the Waitrose incident, I can see I shall have to do my flirting without my son standing next to me from now on :o)

      Delete
  7. Great photos of Teddy and Poppy and lovely to see the water lily. I'm still annoyed my husband removed ours from the pond saying they were "taking over" :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the third flower it's put up this year. Poppy has developed an interest in them so we're lucky this one made it at all! :o)

      Delete
  8. Great pictures of the dogs, so squirrel watching has taken over pigeon watching for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x