Tuesday, 2 September 2014

I Have A New Camera, A New TV Boyfriend, And Something To Make You All Laugh Out Loud.....

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while (thank you), will know that twice a year I like to treat myself to a new boyfriend.
M is very understanding about this, largely because he has a TV girlfriend himself- our local weather girl. I feel his choice is deeply inappropriate given that she only lives in Southampton (a matter of a few miles from here), and he could, therefore, technically bump into her at any time. That is surely against the rules of TVB and GFs who should be entirely fantasy material. Whenever I point this out he just grins and offers as an alternative some high-brow academic TV presenter with a long and complicate-sounding name who lives in Oxford, and that is hardly any better. 


You all helped me chose my last TVBF- do you remember the delectable Cillian Murphy who plays the lead in the excellent Peaky Blinders? He made the short list and eventually came top in a what I thought was a strong field. Ma was jealously guarding her own cradle-snatching TVBF Rufus Sewell so I wasn't allowed to add him, and some of you suggested some alternatives which were definitely worth considering. I seem to remember Ragged Robin  put Benedict Cumberbatch forward and he came a close second in the end.

Cillian Murphy

I fully expect to rekindle my affair with CM when he returns to our screens in series 2 later this year. Previous to that I had long nurtured a secret and slightly inexplicable crush on Nicholas Crane (he is my older man TVBF, or so I tell myself) who presents hearty outdoorsy type progs. In fact, I am off to see him give a talk at the RGS soon- M bought us both tickets, introducing the subject with the immortal words I am taking you off to see your Older TVBF. What an extremely understanding husband he is (although that still doesn't make up for the TV weather girl).

So, in addition to my long-term TVBF (Damien Lewis), my older man TVBF (Nicholas Crane) and my periodical affair TVBF (Cillian Murphy), I now have my Viking TVBF: Ragnar Lothbrok (as played by Travis Fimmel, who looks worryingly shiny in many of his pictures). I am actually being incredibly sensible about this, in fact you could say I am being mature, because I harbour no illusions about this TVBF: I know it is not Mr Fimmel himself (lovely as he is when wearing a beard and clothes that look like they haven't ever been washed) with whom I am in love, but rather his alter-ego Ragnar. 

What is it about the Vikings? I'm not overly keen on the rape and pillage bit, but I do admire the tough no-nonsenseness of them. I was once told years ago that I look Scandinavian (probably the waist-length straight blond hair at the time had influenced this line of thinking) and I rather took that to heart and have nurtured it ever since.

I wonder if I can persuade M to start dressing as a Viking war lord at weekends? I suspect he would carry it off quite well, if he were to grow his hair and start a beard. That would really worry the neighbours, although probably not our vicar's wife who has considered me subversive ever since she came round selling raffle tickets for the village fete one afternoon and I answered the door dressed as a fairy. I was trying on a costume for a party we were having and had the full glittery wings and long bright pink wig on. Oops. M is endlessly compared with Daniel Craig (a comparison that embarrasses the hell out of our daughter J, particularly when the comparison is coming from her friends, who then dissolve into giggles and blushes whenever they see him), so I think he could do a rugged Viking quite well.



Ragnar
Ragnar
So this is Ragnar and I am interested to know what you all think? Is he suitable TVBF material?

In other news I have my new camera. It's essentially the same as the old camera just a newer model and I can't wait to try it out when my mate Dave and I go out hunting flutters on the Chalk Hills later this week. I shall post the results.

I'm going to leave you with a you tube video I found earlier in the week on my friend Briony's excellent blog which you can find here

I cried with laughter watching this so I thought you should all see it too....


Happy Days all round :-)

Hope you're all in Fine Fettle,

CT x

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Which bit? The Vikings or the talking cats? :-)

      Delete
    2. The viking thing,- the cats were hilarious

      Delete
  2. haha I love the cats, and the Viking isn't too shabby either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could cope with him in real life I reckon- they're probably all pussy cats away from the fighting :-)

      Delete
  3. Go for the Viking is my advice!!! They're always good to have around : )

    Just pinched the link to the cats playing. That is Soooooooo funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- a girl need never feel scared with a Viking Warrior in tow (actually, d'you think they would tow, or would it be more a case of scampering frantically after them?)

      I absolutely love that video- it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages, especially if you've grown up with cats as I have. The commentary is just brilliant! xx

      Delete
  4. I'll be honest here, I used to like Micky rourke in his young days, and also Oliver Reed but now I'm on to Neil Oliver. Of course I probably would never look twice at these types of man in real life but this is fantasy isn't it?
    So glad you liked the cats.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now, a young Mickey Rourke- dangerous- and Oliver Reed too. I am getting a mental picture here Bri....
      I LOVED the cats, thank you sooo much for posting it. I haven't laughed so much in ages :-) xx

      Delete
  5. It is a good idea that I have no idea where you live, because if we were friends in real life I would spend most of my time rolling on the floor laughing because you always make me laugh so much. Thank you for always cheering me up in my day when I read your posts. I love the way that you have so many different TVB's for different things. I sometimes have a hunkamunka on the go, but usually only one at a time and I am very fickle, I will dump them as soon as someone else comes along! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad I make you laugh- we spend an awful lot of time laughing here and I couldn't do my days without a giggle at something or other. I'm a bit fickle too in that I add TVBFs all the time- my list is ever-growing! xx

      Delete
  6. Well I was totally with you on your other TVBFs, up to and including Nicholas Crane, but I lost it a bit with Ragnar. I think it is the eyebrows, simply not masculine enough. Sadly, while being entirely, predictably and gloriously heterosexual in real life my biggest TV crushes are women. I love Lucy Worsley but she is just pipped for the ultra desirable position of my TVGF by Dr Alice Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lucy Worsley too, I think she is soooo sweet and I love watching her TV shows. I'm about to make you VERY jealous, Elizabeth- I went to see Dr Roberts give a talk a couple of years ago. She was very good, she is very smart and an attractive lady too, which presumably explained the heavy weighting of the audience on the side of middle-aged men. A friend of ours was there and when we bumped in to him at the half way point he had a faraway look in his eye and wasn't making much sense. His wife just raised her eyes to the heavens and said 'Alice Roberts' as if that was all we needed to know! :-)

      Delete
  7. I go one step further than you and actually marry my TVB. MY CURRENT TVH and I have been married for about nigh on 20 years now. He is the delicious Ray Winstone. My real HG knows his place and will now record anything with Ray in it! As for the Vikings. It is my favourite film ever and I fell deeply in love with A very handsome Ragnar played by Kirk Douglas at about 8 years old. I'm faithful to my men!!! Although I have taken a TVM ( TV Mistress ) in the form of Johnatjon Rhys Meyers having just watched all four series of The Tudors in the six week holidays! Fun post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fling with Jonathon Rhys Meyers while watching the Tudors last year. It had to end because he lost his English accent whenever he starting shouting and would slip back into Irish, which I found distracting. And also he looked a lot worse in series 4 than series 1 and 2 which was no good at all :-( (not that I am in any way shallow, you understand). Unfortunately, we are about to finish series 1 of Vikings and as series 2 doesn't come out on dvd till Nov I expect I will have forgotten Ragnar and moved on to someone else by then. I admire your 20 year TVH though- do you celebrate the anniversary? x

      Delete
  8. Well I think I could do with Ragnor to help us move house, he looks the type to be capable of picking up the sofas single handed....very handy me thinks! So even though he would frighten the life out of me I heartily approve.
    Love the cat video...brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! You can borrow him, as you are my friend :-)

      That video is superb- I've been telling all my friends and family about it and pointing them here so they can enjoy it too. Simple things, eh? xx

      Delete
  9. This reminds me of the Friends episode when Rachel and Ross got to pick 5 celebs that they were allowed to 'do it with' if they ever met. I have a similar list, although these days I'd much rather have a cup of tea and a chat....Paul Weller (number one long time love), Paul McGann, Idris Elba, Robert Pattinson (mid-life crisis crush) and David Thewlis.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you'd much rather have a cup of tea and a chat?? Funny how our tastes change and differ. I used to be madly in love with Boy George when I was nine, and then when I was a bit older I wanted to marry Murdoch from the A Team! xx

      Delete
    2. I'd want to be wooed I'm afraid. There is no romance in my life. Marc's idea of it is shoving his horrid feet in my face. And what is it with husbands and weather girls? xx

      Delete
    3. M has appalling feet too, so I sympathise with that one :-) I reckon weather girls are the thinking man's crumpet (or that's what they tell themselves). Men get to a certain age and the weather becomes a fascinating focal point for their daily existence, so the women who deliver it take on mystical powers of attraction for them (or something).... xx

      Delete
  10. A fun post and the cat video did make me laugh :)

    Thanks for the mention - Benedict is still top of my list although not on tv I don't believe at the moment :( . I see BBC are making another series of George Gently so the delectable (if older) Martin Shaw will be back on our screens next year! Not 100% sure about the Viking - he does look horrendously frightening - but I do like his blue eyes. Yes, so perhaps I do approve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten Mr Shaw until ma, having read the post, reminded me he was a potential. Apparently she has gone off Rufus. Re Ragnar, the eyes do it for me too. Sigh. :-)

      Delete
  11. Love those Ragnor eyes - yep, sweet choice. You did make me laugh.......answering the door dressed as a fairy. You silly girl - Hey, isn't that the part of life that makes life work. "Play" n "Pretend" are not just for children. My Mum told me once, when I entered the working world, "Work Hard, Prove Yourself, but never forget how to Play - if you forget how to Play", your life will not be full........... hence, I always take time to play, laugh and generally just have fun. I like this post and vote it "Best of the Week" in Bloggie Land :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the eyes have it.

      I have a whole cupboard full of fancy dress costumes and too many wigs. I agree- life would be so boring without the ability to have fun and laugh at yourself. My husband makes me laugh every day and I do so appreciate it. And L is a master of the quick, dry retort.
      Thanks for the vote Lil! Have a good rest of the week xx

      Delete
  12. Oh, where to start. The cat film is sublime, I had tears rolling down my cheeks, so funny. And TVBF's such a super idea. If you like Travis Fimmel and all things Scandi & Norse as I do, check out my pinterest board. I have a very 'naughty' pic of him,all done in the best possible taste.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG (as my daughter would say), I have just checked out your Scandi board- VERY naughty indeed!!!! I rather enjoyed it..... xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x