Thursday, 18 September 2014

A Snap Shot Of My Day.


I took the dogs out across the fields first thing this morning and we walked across the golden stubble through silvery ribbons of Autumnal mist. There is a stretch of ancient woodland bordering the fields here and we often stop to have a chat with the venerable old oaks that line up along the boundary like sentries guarding the entrance to some secret, private place. 

Or at least I do. Teddy tends to mooch about at my feet peacefully sniffing interesting smells while Pop scampers off into the woods showing scant regard for the nobility of the place, nose-down on the trail of something that's been moving about there during the night.

This morning, she rolled in some fox poo and then set off a deer, whose high bounding leaps across the stubble alerted me to its presence long before Teddy realised what was happening. As soon as he did he shot off as well, although he is not as quick as his little sister who fairly flies over the ground, her legs working faster than they look like they should. After realising that he wouldn't catch up with the deer or Poppy, he gave up and returned to sit quietly beside me.


As we waited together for Pop to return, a small movement in the oak in front of us caught my eye. Just the tiniest of flickers of white against the gnarled brown of the bark. It was a Tree Creeper, that most elusive of woodland birds. It's only the second one I have seen, after the first came to the apple tree in our garden earlier this year. They have very high-pitched voices and so are more often heard than seen. This one was silent, quietly making his or her way up the trunk towards the canopy so I was able to watch it for a good few minutes. I think I heard another one a little later on. It's nice to know they are there.

In due course Poppy returned, gratifyingly knackered after her long deer chase, and flopped down in the cool damp grasses on the woodland's edge with her tongue hanging out of her mouth and her sides heaving. Attempting to exhaust Poppy is the main focus of my days at the moment, because a suitably tired Jack Russel is more preferable on the whole to one who isn't remotely tired: it makes for a more peaceful afternoon for me and T.

We got back home and Poppy submitted to a cold shower in the garden and then promptly rolled in a flower bed so is now earthy rather than pooey, which is an improvement. I hung out the washing and within half an hour thunder rumbled overhead, so I expect we will have rain and the washing will get a second soaking. As I was walking back to the house I heard the baby pigeons murmuring to their mum in the hedge. They are our latest and indeed last babies of the year, who only hatched out a couple of days ago. Their parents are driving the dogs crazy as the nest is beside the house and they are forever flying in and out, but I like being able to peer through the leaves and branches and see mum or dad sitting sedately on their haphazard bundle of collected twigs. This morning I was rewarded with the first glimpse of the children, who looked damp and scraggly, but will blossom into sleek plump silvery-grey creatures over the next month or so. Pigeons are devoted parents who share the raising of their young and remain with them far longer than any other bird. The family group holds beyond the arrival of the next batch of children.

I am now gathering my thoughts towards college, which starts next week, and Christmas, which is looming steadily and for which I have already been into Salisbury this week to make a start on presents. M expressed astonishment at this when I told him last night, but as I pointed out, the only gifts he has to buy are mine so he can afford to leave it till Christmas Eve, whereas I do his, L's, F's, J's, all the cousins, the aunts and uncles, the great aunts and uncles, and the grannies and grandpas, not to mention all the furry members of the family, and that takes not only time but planning. I enjoy it, as long as I'm not rushing and have left myself plenty of time. I am also rather pleased with my Christmas thoughts this year. I am being inventive.

I felt the need for a little peace while I was shopping, so detoured to the Cathedral which sits in the centre of a large green lined with beautiful old houses and buildings. There were lots of school children and tourists there but even so the sense of quiet, of peace and of tranquility emanating from the building was tangible: it reaches out and snuggles around you as you walk near it.

The Magna Carta is housed inside the Chapter House. Of the four remaining copies of this historic document, which was the first to enshrine in law the rights and privileges of nobles and churchmen and limit the power of the Crown, Salisbury's is said to be the finest. Next year marks the 800th anniversary of it's signing at Runnymede by King John and doubtless there will be various events running in the town to celebrate it.

I have a hair appointment at lunch time. I told M I was going to have it dyed pink and cut into spikes. He looked slightly wary of taking this as a joke, largely because last Christmas I dyed my hair purple as entertainment for the children, little realising that when a packet promises that the colour will 'wash out after four rinses' it means only if the rinses are spaced apart with a month between each one.

And now it is raining, although Poppy is gratifyingly fast asleep curled in a ball on her bed beside Ted....

Wishing you all a good day,

CT :o)




24 comments:

  1. Wow you've been so busy already!. Our Womble always rolls in poo, always grrrrr he looks so flaming pleased with himself when he does it as well.

    I'm not sure if Lincolns Magna Carta went on it's travels to the US on loan. I should know I was up near the Castle at the weekend. I think it's one of those things that you appreciate when you get older as when I was a kid I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do they do that? The smell lingers, despite the expensive 'fox poo shampoo' I invested in earlier this year. Little whatsits.

      I love Lincoln. I've only been there once but as I am a sucker for all things history I would love to go again. Didn't realise you had a Magna C there too- I must look up and find out where the other two copies are. You're so right about appreciating these things as you get older x

      Delete
  2. My corner shop has already got mince pies for sale. I make my own, but even so....I love reading your tales, CT. Honestly it's been a real tonic today, after a rather teary trip to the Docs. Cheers for that.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make our pince mies (as ma calls them) too, even the filling (which if you haven't done before and would like a recipe I will post for you as it tastes de-lich-us).
      I'm glad this post was restorative- hope it was nothing serious at the docs? xx

      Delete
  3. Oh and just so you know, I wouldn't leave my family waiting while I struggled out the door with half a ton of trinkets. Honest xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought it for a minute, dear girl. Thought your post this morning was really lovely, thought-provoking and beautifully written xx

      Delete
  4. I too am chastised by my husband for starting Christmas too early, again I'm the one who organises Christmas & he is given a list of my requirements - present wise for the big day. Along with the washing machine fairy he must still believe in Father Christmas, dipstick man! Wow a tree creeper lucky you, gosh you must live in a lovely place. It's quite nice where I live but your surroundings sound nicer. Hope you had a peaceful afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things appear fully realised on the day at the airy wave of a wand, I rather suspect our menfolk think...

      We are in a lovely place, although just outside the chalk which is my homeland and which I have to drive ten mins to in order to get my fix. Luckily, the doggy people love it up there so I get to go with them most days :o)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann. It was one of those moments when the whole thing worked!

      Delete
  6. Aaargh I don't want to hear about the C word! :-)
    However you paint a lovely picture about the rest, the natural side of things during your walk. Interesting to hear about your pigeons though, as the ones here are so incredibly timid they squawk and fly out of any tree they are in whenever I go anywhere near, even if they are 20 feet above my head. But on the plus side, they have never gone near my veg patch so (touch wood) I have never suffered any problems like many people do with pigeons pecking their veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll get worse once October arrives and the shops get all tinselly!
      Fascinating about your pige's. Ours are as quiet as the grave and often sit not far from us (although out of dog reach). They nest in the wisteria outside our window as well so praps are just very used to us being nearby. Luckily, no veg problems from them either (I leave that to my voles!!) :o)

      Delete
  7. I like to have Christmas organised by early December and just ignore the patronising comments I get from many who will be in complete meltdown by the 24th! You've worried me though....I haven't even started. HELP!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am early this year - even for me - so don't panic :o) It's mainly because I had visions of masses of essays to get through before December and therefore running out of time to plan things quietly! xx

      Delete
  8. PS - the tinsel was up in Exeter at the end of September....criminal. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I noticed Sainsbury's has C stuff in the aisles already:( Although have to admit to buying a stocking filler for son whilst there. I usually do my shopping in a mad rush at the end of November :(

    Lovely deer photo and well done on the tree creeper. They are so elusive. Have only ever had one sighting in the garden but saw one at Marsh Lane earlier this year.

    The athlete's outfits in the last post are just gross :( I'd seen the women's before but think the men's is even worse :( How embarrassing to have to wear one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something nice about doing some shopping close to the day, with the festive spirit in full swing so I always leave a few things to last minute. BUT, I do get fed up with the shops banging on about Christmas for months, it kinda spoils it.

      Was so surprised (and pleased) to see the TC, such lovely little birds :o) And as for those cycling outfits...they don't leave much to the imagination, do they? (and not in a good way!)

      Delete
  10. That is a brilliant image CT (on your new camera maybe?). Sound like you had a lovely day apart from the poo and the washing. I'm not talking about Christmas, not, not, not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, new camera ;o) I particularly like the little flies, who I hadn't noticed until I uploaded it on the laptop! I shall try not to mention the C word again for at least a couple of months.... x

      Delete
  11. We always have a certain tension in our house as I love Christmas and my husband most certainly does not. I think it is down to the experience of childhood where mine were undoubtedly much more fun than his. It would certainly start him grumping if I were to be found engaging with Christmas this early. When I make the pudding and the cake is the kick off point for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we are all fans of Christmas here, although the day can be a bit hectic as we're a large group when everyone is together. This year should be quieter on the day itself and I'm looking forward to it, although doubtless this will mean other days are busy as we try and get round to see everyone!

      Delete
  12. Hi there, just catching up now I am back, I have been reading just not commenting. It sounds as though Poppy is fully recovered now, no wonder you need to wear her out so much!!! You and Teddy would be exhausted otherwise I should imagine. Hope that the return to college goes well. You are amazing being organised with your Christmas plans already, too early for me to think about it yet! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Hope you've had a good time. Will pop over and have a read :o)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x