Sunday, 31 August 2014

The Persistance Of Salesmen And An Update On Poppy

I think I mentioned that L has decided to change bedrooms. The end result of this is that the recently-vacated attic has become the kid's den/ TV room/ gaming room/ general room for avoiding parental observation and overall contact.

We have a spare tele which I suggested moving to the new den but I was told very firmly that it is far too small for split screen double gaming (whatever that means) so M and I have been coerced into purchasing a new enormous-to-the-point-of-vulgarity TV, which barely fits in the room and takes up all available free space. It's all you see when you go into the attic (well, that and two pairs of feet).

The boys went into whispered raptures of hushed reverence and worship when they saw the new TV in situ, and it had barely been taken out of the box and plugged in before they were gleefully shooting each other on it.

Job done for them then. For M and I it was not so easy. In order to leave the shop we very nearly had to engage in a bare-knuckle fight. You may remember earlier in the year I had an experience in a computer mega-store that had me vowing never again to step foot in it. Well, I've added this shop to that growing list. I tell you, it's John Lewis all the way for me from now on.

The problem was our lack of interest in the extended product warranty. The lad who sold us the TV tried OVER AND OVER AND OVER again to change our minds, despite us saying very clearly right at the beginning of the conversation that we didn't want one. We might as well not have spoken. He may well get into trouble with his bosses for not reaching warranty-sales targets at the end of the month, but if there was an  award for 'persistent employee of the month' he would have won it hands-down. It reminded me of that you tube (or whatever it was) clip a few weeks back with the couple who wanted to leave some contract and the person on the phone wouldn't let them.

M is generally more patient and polite than I am, but after he told the lad for the third time that he didn't want the warranty and I could see the boy drawing breath to launch into the thousandth reason why we should buy it, I cut in and said in my best Mother Of Boys voice: WE DON'T WANT IT. 
To which he said: why not?
Because we don't, I snapped.

In the end I left M to finish the purchase and took L to buy a new chest of drawers, before I got myself arrested for battery. 

On a more positive note, Pops is continuing to mend. I'm not sure the process has benefited from her endlessly positive outlook. M keeps telling her she's having too much fun and she should cultivate being depressed so that she doesn't feel like racing about. But Poppy is an unstoppable force nature whom it has proved impossible to control.

I have given up walking her on the lead in the garden, so this afternoon she came with me under her own steam (and she has lots of it) to find Interesting Creatures.....


Carder bee on Salvia

A type of Rove Beetle (Staphylinidae)

Buff tailed bumble on echinacea

Caryopteris, just starting to flower after being bought earlier in the year.

Cinnamon Bug (I forgot to sniff it!)

Devil's Coach-Horse (found by Poppy)

Emperor Dragonfly (blurry I know but still id'able. I watched it for ages)

Field Grasshopper
Helophilus pendulus (hoverfly)
 
And part two...

Large White on Verbena

Shieldbug eggs, empty
This is what Pop got up to while I was searching the bushes for interesting creatures....

1. Chewing a ball quietly is good...



2. Racing up and down the fence line because you can hear Millie, the neighbour's dog, is not....
 

3. Listening quietly but attentively for Millie is good.....


4. Looking like you might be considering how best to jump over the fence in order to reach Millie is not....


Thank goodness for Teddy, always calm, always sensible (unless pigeons are involved)....


Shame she takes no notice of his example whatsoever. Well, vets tomorrow and hopefully stitches out and PJs off. At present I feel like the mother of a three month old baby, the amount of time I am spending washing baby grows and hanging them on the line to dry. No doubt our neighbours are starting to think there is something we haven't told them :-)


CT :-)

25 comments:

  1. lol, you had me in tears.........but why don't you want one? lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Julee, I was that close to yelling at him. Poor boy, I expect he'll be in trouble for not brow-beating us enough... xx

      Delete
    2. Ugh! I hear you on pushy sales people! I do wish they'd stop the hard sell and know when their badgering for a sale is tantamount to bullying tactics.

      Cute pics!!

      Delete
    3. The stupid thing is it's entirely counter-productive. It made us want to run away very fast in the opposite direction and never go back. They should at least have the basic intelligence to distinguish the customers they can persuade from those that they won't. Grrrr.

      Delete
  2. I know that sort of sales person!! Glad Poppy is recovering, I haven't been in blogland that much recently so I'm a bit out of touch with everyone's news. You have some very interesting bugs in your garden, I never seem to find many here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma, nice to hear from you. Hope all's well?

      These kind of management techniques really p*** me off. It's patronising and highly irritating (still feeling grumpy about it today- can you tell?).

      I usually find I have to get my eye in and sit still for a while staring at small patches of flowers before the inverts appear :-)

      Delete
  3. You would think shopping for electrical goods is easy. Equally, you would think having a fridge/freezer replaced would be easy.....Nooooo way! We have just gone through a challenging time here, suffice to say Curry's will not be our first choice electrical shop from here on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share those sentiments entirely, Ann :-)

      Delete
  4. John Lewis is possibly one of my favourite places to shop/browse/gawp ever. And my boys would envy your boys their tv set up very much indeed. And completely unrelated, but today sitting on the beach at Kynance Cove, I was alighted on by a Rose Chafer beetle! He was a beauty, and didn't seem at all bothered about leaving. Me and Olly spent about twenty minutes watching him. Fascinating.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, very jealous about the Rose Chafer. Had to look it up as haven't seen one before- gorgeous colour. The Wildlife Trust website lists it as widespread but scarce, so it was a good sighting. Might be worth recording it with your local wildlife trust. x

      Delete
  5. Love Teddy's attitude. I've got an older dog who sometimes gives the younger one the same look. Like all that nonsense is a waste of time and energy. Good luck with the stitches. It's for sure they'll be out tomorrow. Pop's way too active to not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Teddy is now mature and sensible in the face of Poppy's puppy enthusiasm, although she can still persuade him to leap about and play like a much younger dog at times. Finger's crossed for stitches- she has been very good about the whole business but it will be nice to get back to normal (and have a dog who doesn't wear clothes) :-)

      Delete
  6. It sounds to me as though the saleschild deserved all he got and then some! I hope that all goes well for Poppy today. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish these companies would realise how much the pushy sales routines puts their customers off. I have never met anyone who wasn't irritated by it.

      Thanks for good wishes re Pop. I am really hoping she comes home minus the stitches, clothes and cone of shame! xx

      Delete
    2. I miss John Lewis. I completely agree about the pushy sales technique, it is revolting. Here, we go through phases of being inundated with door-sales person trying to convince us to change tv/phone/wifi/electric companies. Why they think I want to talk about there and then I don't know! I am at home, I want to cook/garden/sit-down! Grrr. Best of luck for the visit to the vets for Poppy. xx

      Delete
    3. I couldn't cope with getting door to door sales. I've only experienced it a couple of times and they were pushy to the point of being intimidating. We once had a wildlife charity come round and I was accused of not caring about wild things in front of my elderly neighbour whom they were aggressively trying to get money out of. It made my blood boil and I wish I'd reported them. It's the same as cold calls at 7.30 in the evening or on a Sunday- appalling! xx

      Delete
  7. I was just thinking how much "EXTRA" money comes into the store with the warranty's - they make billions of warranty's annually across the electronics and whatever else comes with a warranty. Have you noticed over the years that the guarantee of 3 or 5 years that used to come with most anything you once bought, now comes with 1 year and then they push the extended warranty on everyone. The TV or whatever is going to last longer than that anyway and we all know there is a few lemons in everything that is sold, right.- Salesman do not tangle with me if I say NO the first time. I know they have a job to do, however, I do not even want to hear it. On the brighter side, lovely pooches to cheer one up - so cute with the little shirt on and I found the hoverfly most interesting. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right- it's how they make their money which I guess is why they press so hard for people to take them up. I agree- things should last and not need a warranty. I think they think we're all stupid!

      Delete
  8. I had a similar problem last year with the extended warranty offer in Currys :( At the moment I am getting several phone sales calls a day even though we are registered with the telephone preference service - a total pain :( Hope all goes well at the vets today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the exact same problem. They won't change their business model until people start shopping elsewhere I guess. Very annoying experience :-(
      Back from vets and all is well, thank you. Although the trip was an experience for other reasons! x

      Delete
  9. Glad Pop is well and truly on the mend, i just love the pics of her, she has mischief written all over.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the right word to describe her, Jean :-) x

      Delete
  10. Wow a fab capture of that dragonfly in flight! You've found some really interesting bugs - especially the beetles. The dogs looks cute and as for sales people........ sounds like you did well to get out of there without the extended warranty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to get the dragon but blimey they are hard things to photograph! :-)

      Delete
  11. John Lewis fan too...they are so good with everything and returns too. We buy most of our elecrical stuff from them and like you, I can't stand those pushy shops that make money on warranties, I pity vulnerable people who wont have the strength to say no.
    Love all the close ups of your bugs.
    So glad Poppy is better and see that the stiches are out (sorry, reading your posts in the wrong order).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x