Friday, 22 August 2014

Life In Close-Up

L and I have spent most of today with old friends, which has been lovely (hi to Kaz, Llew, Debs and Mike if you're reading this). We met at what has become, over the years, our usual summer meeting place, hired bikes for the boys and they took themselves off round the tracks in the woods for an hour of mother-free time, which left the mothers free to natter and catch up. The boys were all at nursery together, so this is a long-standing and important friendship for all of us. We meet up four or five times a year for a mummies lunch and try and get the lads together at least once a year during the long summer break. It always does my heart good to see the boys together- I've known them since they were three or four, and over the course of the coming year they will all become teenagers. It is lovely to watch them growing up and remaining firm friends, and to see the promise of their early boyhood developing into something that makes me smile proudly for all of them.

When I got home I took the camera out round the garden in the late afternoon sun to photograph small things that might otherwise escape our notice. This has become a favourite past-time of mine over the past couple of years. As with standing still and silent beneath the Willow, it is amazing what you notice, and what shows itself if you sit quietly and wait, observing one small patch of land.....





Prionus coriarius, a rare Longhorn Beetle measuring 5cm in length. Also known as the Tanner or Sawyer beetle. Sadly, this one was dying when I found it.
Betony, grown from seed this spring, with Bee Attachment :-)


 


Late instar Dock Bug




Likely to be Red Admiral Pillar


Common Froghopper on sorrel



Dead-Head Hover Fly (I think)


Early instar dock bug






 

Dock Bug







The inside of a rose

Scabious seeds



Sweetcorn hair

The edge of teasel


Thistle thorns




I'll leave you with a pic of the latest addition to my Brambly Hedge Collection. This one seems apt, considering how the seasons are a-moving....


Have a peaceful evening, all.

CT :-)

20 comments:

  1. Never seen or ever heard of the beetle, you learn something new everyday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a beauty? I've not seen many beetles this year, so was pleased, even though the poor thing was on the way out.

      Delete
  2. A great collection of photos. I'm a fan of spending short amounts of time just hanging around under trees, in the garden, (anywhere really!) just to see what I can see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- you learn a lot doing that and it is good for the soul to stop and be still.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful set of photos, I've been up on the moor to day sat amongst the heather, the hills are purple..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I shall look forward to seeing the pictures in due course. I drove across the Forest yesterday and the heaths there are all purple with heather as far as the eye can see too x

      Delete
  4. Your close ups are amazing, love your new plate too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I just need Spring now to complete the set.... xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Glad you enjoyed them :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely close-ups - just adore the Green Man :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) Sunny here...off to try and find some flutters before the season disappears!

      Delete
  7. Great close-ups, especially like the teasel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie. I thought of you yesterday- I was on the trail (camera in hand) of THREE Clouded Yellows, and not one of the buggers sat still long enough to get a piccy. I can see this challenge continuing into next summer, unless you get lucky....

      Delete
  8. Excellent photos, CT. Love the perspective on the flower close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dock bugs get everywhere! Lovely photos of all the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed :-) And look so different in the various instars...

      Delete
  10. Stunning photographs me dear..........always sooths my mind does a visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x