Saturday, 9 August 2014

I'm Back! And Why Food Shopping On A Saturday Is To Be Avoided At All Costs....

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the absence- we've been to Kent for a week's hols and just got back today.

It's been a week of warm sunshine, swimming (including diving lessons from L, who it turns out is quite a Hard Task Master as far as his expectations of his mother collecting diving toys from the bottom of the deep end (for the first time ever in her life) are concerned. This is possibly because he swims like a dolphin, while I have all the natural grace and elegance of an elephant waddling through custard. Still, I did do it, and it Felt Surprisingly Good), castles, reading, walking, sleeping and sampling local ales. Ted and Pops came too. They made friends with Max (elderly springer resident of the farm and winner of the Lowest Slung Belly competition), discovered the hard way that hedgehogs have sharp prickles (they were Very Excited Indeed to find that the local Mrs Tiggywinkle lived behind their new hedge - look up Beatrix Potter if you're not sure) and learnt how not to be sick on Long Car Journeys. Pops seems to have left her pretend-pregnancy behind her and is back to her usual bouncy, joyful self, which is a Huge Relief (and thank you for all your kind get well soon messages - she sends you all a big lick by way of thanks (having been on the receiving end of these, I have to tell you they are not to be wished for on the whole).

All in all it has been a tonic. 

I have a mountain of photographs to wade through and a pile of washing a mile high, as well as three guests arriving at 6pm for an over-night stay tonight, and my sis-in-law who comes tomorrow for supper. There's nothing like being thrown back into life at a hundred miles an hour, is there?

Talking of which, I dashed straight off to Waitrose to fill bare cupboards as soon as we got back and while I was looking for a space to park the car, I was treated to an example of Bad Manners that could have won prizes. Beside an elusive space was a square-bosomed woman with starched white hair who was attempting to pack her elderly mother into her car. I stopped to wait, not wanting to hurry the old lady and because it was hot I had my window fully down with the result that the woman's voice as she spoke to her mother carried into my car. Her old ma was obviously anxious about holding me up, but instead of smiling at me and saying 'I won't be a sec, mum's a bit wobbly' which any normal person would do, the square-bosomed woman merely threw me a filthy look and said in a loud venomous voice 'she'll just have to wait.' 
I could understand this (just) if I'd been revving my engine and attempting to ram the old dear into the car, but I wasn't. I was just waiting, happily, given that this was an old lady.
Anyway, this statement was repeated FOUR times with increasing venom until she finally got the old lady into the car, at which point I will freely confess that it took all the self-constraint I possess not to run her over. I contended myself with (rather pettily) waiting far longer than was necessary to park so she couldn't get out of her space, and then I gave her my best Paddington Bear Stare for good measure as I walked away. Childish of me I know, but it made me feel better.
I guess it's her blood pressure, not mine :-)

Here's a snapshot of what we've been up to this week.....

Scotney Castle
Bodium Castle

Fun and Games in  the pool. That blur of water is M launching his son into the air.

Red Admiral (of course)

Roman Lighthouse at Dover Castle

 
Igtham Mote. Lovely. Sigh.


Book shop in Rye

Apple Orchards

Combine working in the fields

Entrance to Leeds Castle

Medieval Great Tower at Dover Castle in the mist

The White Cliffs of Dover

Gargoyle high up on Canterbury Cathedral. Looks like he's having a Good Old Laugh, doesn't he?

Canterbury's 15th C City Walls which are still working tickety boo

I'll be back with more later....


Have a Good Evening All,


CT :-)

35 comments:

  1. Sounds as if you had a lovely holiday. having a pool to yourselves looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fab- just what was needed. A pool is a must for our lads, they would live in it if they could I think :-)

      Delete
  2. Bloody hell, not the Paddington hard stare! My god I can picture her recoil as I read! Now if you want to proper castles me dear you'd best be toddling here to Wales :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think her skin had hardened so much over the years that even the Paddington Stare cannoned off it :-)
      Ah now, Wales, done some of those castles. Fabulous, yes indeedy.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, Igtham Mote, it's been years. Loved it too.
    Glad you've had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know it has been taken apart brick by brick, mended, conserved, replaced when required, and all put back together over recent years? Quite some restoration. I absolutely loved it x

      Delete
  4. I loved the pool picture, the castles a beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julee :-) A lovely time was had by all. I shall now try and get round to reading all the blogs I missed last week :-)

      Delete
  5. You've reminded me of summer holidays in Kent as a child with relatives. Love your photographs and glad you had a good time. I have to say I feel a bit disillusioned about Waitrose customers...I thought they were a more refined breed - perhaps it will be a good thing if Tesco lands, it can take up the slack, lol. (that's my rant over, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't agree with you about Tesco in Romsey, but could do without other people's rudeness when I've just popped in to get some shopping for sure :-)

      Delete
    2. You know how some Tesco's are called Extra - I think they should call the Romsey one 'Controversial' . lol. :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely. I partially designed and made the huge (grotesque!) face in the new Grotto of Leeds Castle - for Simon Verity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys discovered the grotto. We were a little bemused at first as to its link with the castle, but it pretty quickly became apparent that the whole place is little more than a giant theme park. Such a pity they don't do more with the open space of the old castle. A missed opportunity, one feels.

      Delete
  7. Glad you had such a good holiday - have never been to Kent so look forward to hearing all about it and seeing the photos. Glad Poppy is back to normal :) The woman in Waitrose car park sounds totally vile!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like Kent- beautiful countryside and there are also lots of nature reserves covering a wide range of habitats. Didn't get to any of these as children were in tow, but M and I will return :-)

      Delete
  8. Hello! Glad that you had a good time and that Poppy is feeling herself again. I assume that Teddy is now well over his incident with the coconut too? Igtham Mote is wonderful isn't it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted is fine now, thanks so much for asking. I'm hoping that that's it now as far as dog-related worries are concerned! Igtham Mote is a fantastic place, well worth a visit xx

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a lovely hol. You visited all the places that I love, I haven't been to Rye for years but love the place. Haven't been to Bodium Castle but must try to, it looks lovely.
    As for swimming, I swim like a fish and although Tom can swim he has a job to keep afloat once he stops, I don't know why this should be.
    The lady in the car park is a perfect example of why I sometimes don't want to go out the door.
    Glad Pops is okay now.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed the week, so many lovely places to see in that neck of the woods. I used to have a sinking when I stopped problem too so I used to turn over on my back because I could float that way! Yes, horribly rude woman- so unnecessary to be that way, it made me feel unsettled which was annoying after coming home all relaxed and happy. x

      Delete
  10. ooh how rude... well done for not running her over - I'm sure you were only thinking of your poor car - that's what quells my urge to run some people over, haha! I couldn't cope with over night guests and dinner the next day on the day I returned from a holiday - I am horrified at the thought to be honest! I have to have a full 24 hours to myself to do the washing and restore order to my world and get everything washed/hoovered and put away... I have OCD though, I don't function like most people, hehe. You took some lovely photos - I'll look forward to hearing about your trip when you're done entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did make me cross :-(

      To be honest, I went to bed by 9pm last night because I was more than a bit tired! The guests were all family- M's cousin and his two little boys who are lovely, so very easy guests to have. I know exactly what you mean about needing 24 hours to get the house straight again x

      Delete
  11. Glad you had a good week, love Leeds Castle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, we have had a really lovely week xx

      Delete
  12. Greetings. I have just stumbled across your blog and wanted to say that I have spent a happy half hour browsing though! Wishing you a happy Sunday : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I have reciprocated the follow.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely holiday CT. It seems like there was something for everyone and good to hear Poppy is back to normal. Shame you had to come back down with a bump! Love the castles and the tower in the mist.
    I saw a clouded yellow yesterday...but didn't have my camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time but I do feel a bit like I haven't been away now! I didn't see any Clouded Yellows last week- the hunt is on again now I'm home! :-)

      Delete
  14. What a lovely holiday with great photos as well. I am impressed to see Canterbury's walls still "tickety boo", as they were when I lived there abouts for a spell. I love to look at the castles and the very modern vehicles parked around them :) You did well in the parking lot and the icy stare sounds like my reaction.....I think, cause, gosh darn, I am so darn polite. he,he Have a wonderful relaxing? time with your guests and for goodness sake girl, get that laundry done. he,he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I didn't know you'd lived in the UK. I got some lovely shots of the Cathedral which I'll post later this week. A trip down memory lane for you :-)
      I think I'm too polite too. I should probably have said something to her instead of stewing about it for hours after!!
      Five loads of washing and still going..... xx

      Delete
  15. Looking forward to more photos! SO pleased you had a lovely time away. I NEVER go shopping on Saturday due to similar experiences! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the shopping delivered mostly, can't bear supermarkets at the best of times and this experience has just cemented that view! More photos to follow.....hope all's well xx

      Delete
  16. Smashing holiday pics. I told a man he wasn't a gentleman yesterday, when he swung into the parking space I was waiting for and indicating to go into. like you I had been waiting patiently for an elderly couple to sort themselves out before they pulled away. In my mind I said "i curse you". In my best witchy fashion.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he apologised and moved? I once had a woman who'd blocked me in at Scats tell me she would move if she had to, but that she could reverse out in the space she'd left me standing on her head. I was so dumb-struck at her rudeness that it only occurred to me later that I should have replied that perhaps standing on her head might improve her manners! x

      Delete
  17. Tons of interesting places to visit! I hope that one day I can manage a trip across the pond to see things like this first hand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can feel history breathing in those places, Casey. I'm sure you'd love them. Lots of breath-taking countryside there too, although mostly in a farmed way.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x