Monday, 18 August 2014

Administering Electric Shocks At A Birthday Tea, Moths and Flowers, And The Pigeon Watchers Club Is Open For New Members

Yesterday, it was M and L's birthday. L is now officially a teenager. He turned thirteen at a quarter past ten last night. This will make absolutely no difference to him because he has been a teenager for the last two years at least.

We had a Cream Tea Party to celebrate the joint-sixtieth (work that one out for yourselves). I made scones and blackberry jam from berries picked fresh from the field hedges that morning. I hope you are impressed. For some reason I went baking mad yesterday and also made bread rolls for lunch, a lemon drizzle birthday cake and a pie of homegrown veg for tea. It must be all this autumnal weather bringing out the need to nurture and feed everyone.

Freshly harvested blackberries
Berries and sugar mid-jam making

The finished article
Scones

Ready for tea
Clotted Cream (of course)
Ma casts covetous eyes on this teapot whenever I bring it out. We were together when I got it, so I have to make sure it's still here when she goes home...
Lemon Drizzle birthday cake
Brambly Hedge 'summer' plate. I have autumn; all I need now are spring and winter
Bread making. I love my old scales and stick stubbornly to old weights and measures. M calls me a Luddite, but a pint has a much nicer ring to it than a litre, and as for bushels and pecks....well....best not to get me started :-)
Granary rolls waiting to go in the oven
Cooked and ready for eating. Yum!
Pastry for the pie
Stuffed with veg from the garden
Supper. Finished off with home-grown taters and a glass of red. Delish.
L got M an electric shock game (as you do) for his birthday, and for some reason it proved an enormous hit with the grannies. I don't expect it's every day that post-cream-tea entertainment constitutes administering electric shocks to elderly ladies, but they loved it. Clearly, grannies have a superior capacity when it comes to withstanding jolts of electricity and are highly competitive about administering them too. M's mum (a well-spoken English lady who slips into her native Irish only when she's annoyed) was the outright winner. It had us all in stitches.

Further hilarity was provided by Uncle Charles and Poppa, neither of whom can hear all that well. This did not stop them yelling across the table at each other, mostly unaware that they were happily carrying on two entirely separate conversations. Charles' hearing aids are so ancient they must now be worth something as antiques, but he flatly refuses to update them. Everyone is well used to the routine of passing these huge cumbersome black boxes to and fro across the table so whoever is speaking can shout into them. The kids find the whole thing hysterical; a situation not helped at all by Uncle Charles' laugh, which I can honestly say is unique. Our naughty three (egged on by their father) consider it a permanent challenge to see who can record the laugh surreptitiously on their mobiles whenever we see him. I can not now look at any of them when Charles is with us and starts laughing, because I know full well what they are doing.

Ma got L an archery set, so as it got dark last night we were all outside competing to see who could hit a balls-eye on the target. It turns out I am excellent at shooting the wall, L plants a mean arrow deep in the fish pond, and M is very good at slicing through bags in which potatoes are growing.


FIRE!
Hooray!We actually hit it!
The moth box was out last night and the cooler weather continues to tell. No new people, but some nice examples of autumnal moths anyway...

six striped rustic

light emerald- victim of bird strike

Clouded border

Flounced rustic

Flame Shoulder

The diminutive Lime Speck Pug

The rather Large Yellow Underwing

Delicate Maiden's Blush

Strapping Poplar Hawk

Beautiful Red Twin-Spot Carpet

Floaty Riband Wave

Hooray! A Rosy Rustic at last.

Vine's Rustic

The sun is shining here this morning and what's blooming in the garden is looking lovely in the light...

Black-eyed susans

Stray Cornflowers, although most have seeded by now

Hollyhocks luminescent in the early morning sunlight

Salvia, grown from seed this year and just coming in to flower
Do you remember the pillars I removed from the Ladies Smock they had all but demolished? (the one grown from the basal leaf of the only plant we have here). They are busy demolishing the nasturtiums where I put them. This is fine as they have finished flowering and I have collected the seed already. They are Large White pillars...

The Hungry Caterpillar...

Large White in the making
Nasturtium seeds (capers) drying out in the house.
I'll leave you with a picture of Ted, who has this morning re-formed the dormant Pigeon Watchers Club. You may recall he set this up last summer with his cousin Dougal. He is fascinated and obsessed and driven mad by pigeons in equal measure. It isn't helped by the way they tease him; flapping their wings loudly and blowing raspberries. Poor Ted. Poppy joins in with a bit of Pigeon Watching for solidarity, but frankly she doesn't have the patience to be a committed member of the club. This morning, for example, she was easily distracted by a dead baby rat she found in the garden...

Pigeon

Pigeon Watcher
 Have a lovely day all,

CT :-)

28 comments:

  1. I love a family birthday tea. Yours look lovely. As do your flowers. I think I would covet the tea pot too...
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, there's always something memorable about a family tea. Enjoy your hols- looking forward to hearing all about it on your return xx

      Delete
  2. Definitely a picture painted of your family tea CT, found myself smiling as a read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I am blessed with an at-times eccentric family, which means there is always something to giggle about! :-)

      Delete
  3. Your birthday tea looks delicious - that clotted cream! Yum! I have a Brambley Hedge Summer mug - it's actually my daughter's but I have laid claim to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) You've made me want a brambly hedge tea cup now. Think I'll have a look on ebay and see what's on offer....

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that food looks scrumptious! And that clouded border is a pretty thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea passed muster (esp the jam). And yes, the clouded border is a very pretty creature :-)

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous spread, I think I put on 1000 calories just looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you have been busy, looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really lovely day...birthdays are the perfect excuse to cook up a feast xx

      Delete
  7. Oh, that sounds like my kind of party, totally fabulous. I don't know now, which I covet more, the moth box or the brambly hedge plate!
    Shauna.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a funny thing, but putting the pic of the Brambly hedge plate up has made me all of a stir to get some more of them.... xx

      Delete
  8. What a great party, all your food looks really good,quite fancy making your veg pie, I tend to do more baking when the weather turns...and your flowers look lovely. Not had the moth trap out we have had really bad rain
    Warmer to day, I spied a Blue Butterfly at the park to day, even though I chased after it saying "Please Land" over and over again it did not :( poor dog wondered what the hell was going on.. will be back tomorrow..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a Common Blue..., they seem to either be very still or impossible to capture! xx

      Delete
  9. Love a family tea party, your food looked delicious and sounded like you all had fun.
    Love the teapot and the concentration on Teds' face, so cute
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda :-) It was a fun afternoon. Teddy will sit and stare at a pigeon for hours! x

      Delete
  10. Oh for crying out YUMMy that first half of the post had my mouth watering !
    The second half ~ fascinating as always.
    Of course the pigeon watcher stole the show though :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Teddy, he is such a poppet he always makes me smile x

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful birthday party!! I sounds as though you had great fun and a lot of laughs. All of your baking looks delicious and I love all your china, very pretty indeed. Poor Teddy would be on a state of permanent high alert if he lived with us as we have a fairly constant stream of pigeons in our garden, although perhaps he could come and clear them off for us by staring at them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would LOVE to come and scare off your pigeons, Amy :-) xx

      Delete
  12. Oh I do love that teapot - very envious! Looks a lovely spread - the vegetable tart looks really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen another one like it, which is a shame because I'd get it for mum if I did! :-)

      Delete
  13. Mmmmmmm much nicer than courgettes! Can't beat a proper cream tea. Never tried electrocuting old ladies though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where do you get the time to do all this CT? Baking looks fantastic, and more moths, hope you don't get the two mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live at a hundred miles an hour :-) L once complained he discovered a moth in his water bottle at school so I perhaps should be more careful... :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x