Saturday, 26 July 2014

In The Company Of Butterflies

M and I went up to Broughton Down this morning, a Chalk-Rich landscape where the flutters are out in force. I saw my first Clouded Yellow (migrants from across the water who have just started to arrive) and Silver-Spotted Skipper (newly emerged), although neither of them were inclined to settle so I have no pictures. Dave and I are heading back there next week so I live in hope of getting pictures then...

We met two old boys with cameras and tripods in hand who made us laugh by telling us they'd got  day passes from their wives to come up to the hill and look for butterflies together. One of them has a wife who is very into her football and she regularly goes to St Marys to watch the footie. He doesn't like football, but he was happy that she does, because the price of the super-dooper new camera he has his eye on is about the same as an annual season ticket to see Saints play :-) They thought M was very good accompanying me when butterflies aren't really his thing (which he was).

It has struck me more than once this year that the majority of people I meet out looking for flutters are men in their 60s who are obsessive (to say the least) about their hobby, as well as being more than a little competitive when swapping tales about what they've seen. M has a theory that it's a left-over of some ancient hunting instinct. They are always eccentric and always very happy to talk for hours about the creatures/ plants (usually orchids) that they have seen, and they are also always generous about sharing details of where to find these things. My Purple Emperor Story has served me well in recent weeks as far as swapping Butterfly Encounters goes :-)

I have a few shots to show you today, probably the best of which is the Peacock. I did see my first Painted Lady of the year while doing a transect at college this week, but she too did not deign to pose for pics....

6 spot burnet moth

chalkhill blue male

chalkhill blue male

chalkhill blue male

common blue male

gatekeeper carrying harmless parasite (red blob under his chin)

Gatekeeper, wings open :-)

The view from Broughton Down. Harvest is now in full swing here.

Peacock on wild marjoram

Small Copper
A quick post from me tonight as M is cooking curry (from scratch) which is smelling divine and is very nearly ready and my tummy is rumbling. I have chucked a bottle of fizz in the freezer to go with it and we have butterscotch yum yums for pudding (so More Running will doubtless be required tomorrow as an off-set). We're being Very Self Indulgent at the moment and working our way through The Tudors Box Set (again) over supper. It's the one with Mr-Easy-On-The-Eye-Himself Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I don't think I need say more really.... :-)

Hope you're all having a peaceful weekend.

CT x

16 comments:

  1. We're having a king prawn curry tomorrow and watching the equally, easy on the eye, Inspector Montalbano. Simple pleasures eh?

    jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled it. He looks like a man who can handle himself :-) Simple pleasures- always the best x

      Delete
  2. That picture of the Common Blue is stunning..... Nothing at all common about the color of that flutter bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- it has a rather unfortunate name! The colour is magnificent. Nice to hear from you John :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos as always. The common blue is such a pretty butterfly. Love that view! :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie- the flutters are looking really pretty at this time of the year x

      Delete
  4. I hope that you had a great evening and a nice curry! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those yum yums are delicious. I found them by accident searching for pecans online and got so excited I inadvertently clicked the 'add' button. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me quite often too :-)

      Delete
  6. Stunning photos, looking forward to seing if you get a photo of a Clouded Yellow. Had to google it, now that's a stunning butterfly, hope you manage to get a photo. Hope your supper was good :)
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so close to getting the pic, literally focused the camera after following it across the hill and the bloody thing took off and flew to the top of a tree! Ah well, it's the first one I've ever seen so eyes were good enough :-)

      Delete
  7. Well done on the Clouded Yellow and Silver-spotted Skipper sightings :) Hope you enjoyed your delicious sounding meal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meal was lovely thanks. I'd really like to see another Clouded Yellow and get some pics of that the SSS. I'm still on the trail of Adonis- second brood time of year is approaching so I live in hope! :-)

      Delete
  8. Envious of your blue butterflies as I've seen very few this year and only the Holly Blue in my garden. Clouded Yellows have just arrived here too although strangely I saw one back in June. Dinner sounded yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen lots of Blues this year- more than last year, which is a relief given the flooding we had in the Spring here. Am keeping my eyes peeled for Clouded Yellows - gorgeous things :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x