Wednesday, 4 June 2014

The Skimpy Running Shorts Are Back, And Why Gin Is Better Than Wine.

Intermittent rain here, so I spent the morning in Southampton (not, generally, to be advised), buying some new running kit. I can tell you that summer has properly arrived now (despite today's rain) because I am back to running in my skimpy/ bordering on indecent running shorts. 

There are two significant benefits to wearing them.

1) I don't get so hot when I'm running.
2) I'm definitely a lot faster now than I was last week.

The reason for number 2) is simple- I'm so terrified of anyone I know actually seeing me in them that I run like the clappers to avoid it. So far, so good. Although M finds the whole thing Humourous and can't see the problem, but that is because he is a man, and therefore no amount of female flesh (either taut or slipping A Bit Too Far South), could ever be deemed enough in his eyes.

One of the benefits of running every day is that it earns you the Right To Drink Gin. This is The Law. I have tried drinking wine but worked out that a) gin is cheaper and b) it doesn't give me a stinking headache. I could also add c) it is healthier (because of the addition of lime, which is bound to count as one of your five a day) and, if I was to stretch credibility a tiny bit further d) there are fewer calories in gin (but I'm not sure that last one isn't a Bridge Too Far). I'm also not certain that running justifying alcohol consumption is entirely the right way to approach a fitness regime, but there you go.

On a similar theme, L made me laugh over the weekend (frequently happens, being as he is the Family Jester), by carrying before him a small glass of his father's home brew and wearing a face whose expression could best be described as North Of Dejected.

'My life is over,' he intoned in a woe-begone voice that plumbed the depths of sorrow. 'Beer sets off my stomach ache.' 
Oh well, I told him, you'll just have to drink champagne instead. At which he brightened considerably and went back off to his computer clutching a glass of the bubbly stuff and shouting loudly to all his friends on Skype that he was going to spend the rest of his life drinking champagne.....

In a Lightening Change Of Subject, I'm a Bit Worried about our Blue Tit babes- first, a Sparrow Hawk zoomed in uncomfortably close to their Ideal Home Exhibition House this morning (and I think took a fledgling from an earlier batch, judging from the inordinate amount of shrieking that was going on ). It simply took what it wanted right next to the house and glided insouciantly out again, through the Willow trees and across the lake, utterly unperturbed at the noise and drama it had left behind. This was the first Worry. Then a Greater Spotted Woodpecker Child landed on the table just outside the nest and was looking interested in it. That was the second Worry. And finally, there have been a couple of Magpies nosing about as well (Worry number 3). It's a worrying time. Especially when you are Foster Mother to every living thing in the garden (except for Spiders, of course....).

I am Keeping An Eye on them all and have set Ted and Pops on patrol. This works only as long as no-one actually lands on the ground, at which point Terrier Instinct takes over and all sense of Obedience To Mother dissipates into Thin Air, as was proved last night when they had an adult GSW up against the greenhouse. Woodpeckers most certainly do not like being picked up. In fact, I don't think they like people very much full stop, and this one screeched her head off at me as if I were trying to kill her, and then had a good go at savaging my hand to boot when I finally managed to get hold of her. Luckily, she wasn't hurt and flew off up to the roof of the kitchen, where she sat with her beak gaping looking petrified and as if she'd just survived Armageddon, instead of the kindly meant interventions of the woman who'd just saved her life....




Speaking of Terriers, is it The Law that Furry Jack Russels must smell as bad as they possibly can? Poppy has not rolled in poo for days; she has had a bath with nice-smelling shampoo, and she has been out for several walks in the rain and through long wet grass, but she still stinks to High Heaven. Teddy does not. Why is this? I am forced to just cuddle her ears (which, although they are soft and lovely to snuggle, also smell, although marginally less revoltingly than the rest of her), because to stroke her anywhere else is to risk your health Immediately And On A Grand Scale, not to mention the residue of the most disgusting odour that is left on your hands and frankly makes you want to be noisily sick somewhere. She reminds me of that character from Snoopy who walked round with a cloud of flies permanently buzzing over his head. Perhaps I will have to clip her....

I'll leave you with some photos I haven't got round to posting yet. An Assortment Of Things Round Home from the past few days.....


A Jay in the garden. Unusual. Could this also be the lure of fledglings?

Unknown insect on unknown flower

Rescued Tree Bee on FMN

Tree Bee, mid-rescue... He didn't want any honey, so I put him on the FMN and he seemed OK.

Goldfinch

Tall Grasses

More Tall Grasses (love them)

Ele Hawk Trying Out My Camera....

Wet Dandelion Seed Head

Wet Dandelion Seed Head 2

Inquisitive Roe Doe

Inquisitive Roe Doe 2

Ladybird on Ox-Eye Daisy. This picture is for my nieces, Suss and Em, who are going to come Looking For Slow Worms with me soon.
Ladybird on Vetch


Wishing you all a Good (non-smelly) evening. I shall have the oil burners on.....

CT :-)




22 comments:

  1. So many smiles in this post - Thank you, and lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learnt the hard way that alcohol helps to add on the pounds! I hate running so your solution wouldn't work for me! Beautiful images as always especially of the deer! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try swimming, but picked up a stalker in the pool as well as cold after cold, so ditched it in favour of the running :-) I expect the crisps that go with the gin will also heave on the chub, but you only live once so it might as well be fun! Glad you enjoyed the deer pics. She was sooo sweet- stood watching me for ages then just went back to munching, all unconcerned xx

      Delete
  3. So, the bees are still flinging themselves on your mercy then! I love your idea for your fitness (gin) regime. Hope that it works!! It sounds as though it is all go in your garden with the birds and bees and dogs and bugs! No wonder you need the gin after caring for all of the animals in and around your home. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed- I've never known a summer like it for Bee Rescue :-) I suspect we have a Tree Bee nest somewhere not far away. They are dear little things. xx

      Delete
  4. It's Gin for us as well but the other day we mistakenly bought low calorie tonic, ughhhhh, it was horrible.
    I love the wet dandelion head, very pretty.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwww! (as our daughter would say). I would have had to have had a double just to make up for it :-) xx

      Delete
  5. It'll always be wine for me, I'll just have to dig those clods a little bit harder.
    Great pics, hope the lady woodpecker recovered from her fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening- such a great way to keep fit. My back was complaining massively this afternoon after digging over what will be the wild flower meadow :-) x

      Delete
  6. What a lovely blog! yes to the intimate relationship between exercise and alcohol. Sadly I am still erring on the side of alcohol (gin or wine, like both with indiscriminate enthusiasm) but do at least feel that walking hard or building walls or digging means that I have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth and thanks for the comment and the follow :-)
      I'm with you on earning the booze with hard work. No idea whether it's true or not, but it does wonders for the conscience!

      Delete
  7. Your post did make me smile :) Wine is my favourite tipple although I do need to do a bit more physical exercise to justify it :) Hope the GSW has got over her fright and the Blue Tit chicks remain safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the headache problem for me with wine.... don't seem to get one with gin, no matter how much of it I consume :-)

      Blue tits appear to have fledged today while I was out at a heath in Surrey. I can hear one left in the box, so hoping she/he makes it out tomorrow safely.

      Delete
  8. You made me laugh and then I went to class. You teach like my brother. I love your blog for all statements above. I love how caring and informative you are and love coming here to Countryside Tales. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the lovely words...you have made me smile :-) It's lovely to think that the blog is useful/ interesting/ entertaining. I do love writing it so I'm so pleased you enjoy reading it. x

      Delete
  9. Gin all the way CT. It's the only thing I drink. That sounded bad.....you know what I mean! Love the photos, particularly unknown insect on unknown flower. Email me about Pops; I'v LOVE to draw her. Smellovision perhaps? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the thought of you getting up in the morning and having a G&T with breakfast, Em :-)

      Will sort through the Miss Pops pics and whizz a few off to you- it may be next week before I get round to it though as we have a mega busy weekend coming up. Looking forward to reading all about Scotland- hope you had a fab time xx

      Delete
  10. Great post CT a joy to read, with you on the smelly Terriers I have a Boarder.. Smells all the time ! He doesn't roll in poo but has to eat it! Then wonders why he's not getting kisses and cuddles, how he ends up with breath like a dead fish I don't know...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Borders! And would have one if I was allowed a third dog :-( Poppy's breath is also indescribably awful... Ted's isn't all that much better I have to say :-)

      Delete
  11. Well, I think fox poo as well as musk glands from a male fox are the most lingering smells there are. When I was a girl in Jr. High School about 100 years ago two boys in our class gained access to some oil from the musk glands of a fox (don't ask me how) and what the original use for it was going to be, but they somehow got into the basement of our school and rubbed this stuff on some part of the old furnace. When the heat started coming through the heat vents the entire school had to be evacuated. For months after that the smell lingered. This event was in autumn and I think we could still smell this odor well past the time when heat was no longer necessary. Cannot remember the punishment for the boys, but I can still remember the smell. My dachunds (two minis) love to eat rabbit and deer poo - ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pervasive smell. I bet the school was furious! Boys used to let off stink bombs when we were at school and they were pretty foul, but didn't last all that long :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x