Monday, 19 May 2014

Pigeon Strike! Flowers, The Blackbird's Child & Mrs Sparrow

Not many words from me today....up to my armpits in revision and practicing test papers until I feel my head is going to explode...Still, nearly there now and soon I'll stop boring the pants off you all about it :-)

Some Drama....

This happened this morning....


Pigeon Strike!!!!!

It's the third one in twenty-four hours and I am at a loss to explain why. These are not young birds. Could it be the sunshine glinting on the glass is disorienting them? Heaven knows my windows are far from clean and shiny- the dirt alone should be enough to warn them there is glass there. The male bullfinch cracked into the glass this morning, making me wince, but he seemed fine.

The Geums by the ponds are stunning...

Cue arty-farty shots.....








 

Did you notice the flutter in the last one? She sat on my finger for about half an hour before I moved 
her to the flower. She's my first Small White of the year :-)

Some of us have found this hot weather far too exhausting to do anything other than sleep in the garden in...
 


I had a Catch Up with my friend Mrs Sparrow this morning. She told me she has told her children she's bloomin' well Fed Up with running about all over the place feeding them, now they're all so ginormous, and it's high time they came out of the nest and started fending for themselves.... I thought she looked a Bit Tired....


The Blackbird's Child has similarly been told it's time she Shifted For Herself, so she has taken to flying onto the bird table and stuffing herself with seeds, seeing off all the other birds, and ignoring the Astonished Gasps from everyone. There'uv been Dark Mutterings that she's a Ground Bird and Really Shouldn't Be Doing This Sort Of Thing. They are Quite Scandalised. If they were regency ladies they'd be whispering behind their fans while their bonnets bobbed furiously.



For all her bravery with the small birds, she's a Little Bit Uncertain about the GSW.....
 

Who is himself, Generally Uncertain About People.......



Poppy, on t'other hand, isn't Remotely Bothered By Anyone. She's in the middle of her first season, but you really wouldn't know it (apart from the fact that Teddy, who is in fact a eunuch, tried to impregnate her with imaginary seed yesterday....). This brought on gleeful pleas about puppies and the cuteness thereof from L and stern admonishings that That Sort Of Thing won't be happening here from M. Poppy and I took ourselves off to look for damselflies around the pond where she ate some grass and I drank some wine. We carefully steered clear of any conversations about sex and children....


I think that's about it for now. L's computer has given up the ghost entirely, having been steadily pulverised into the ground over the last two years, so we are currently sharing (translated, this means I am frequently booted off mine while he plays games with his mates and skypes after school). So he is Hovering, which means I shall soon have to vacate my spot. I will leave you with a pic of two azures who were, erm, a bit busy in the garden this afternoon....




Happy Days!

CT x


 

16 comments:

  1. I saw the less appealing side of GSWs yesterday. The pair of them attacked a nest box with a Great Tit family in it, right outside the back door. They were ready to fledge anyway, so Mum and Dad got them out and into the relative safety of the rhododendrons while I shooed Woodrow away.
    Tangerine looking good..
    Good luck with the exam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature red in tooth and claw. It can be a bit hard to stomach, especially when it's babies. It was magpies here last year who killed a baby blackbird and something small that could have been a bluetit :-(

      Delete
  2. It sounds like busy central at your house right now. I hope that the revision/exams go well. Not sure about the birds crashing into the window, I would find that very upsetting indeed, I hope that the stop. Geums are beautiful, but making me jealous as mine are sulking! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Geums have been fab this year. I get very easily distracted looking at them :-)
      Fortunately, most of the birds that hit the window are stunned and recover, but it is still not very nice :-(
      Thanks re exam- just want to get it over with now, it's been looming for too long x

      Delete
  3. I have spotted a fledgling Blackbird in our garden looking rather forlorn it must be said. And I share your pain. I am currently 'sharing' my computer while my eldest son's is being repaired.
    So lovely to have found you via Sarah at Down By The Sea!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a visit to PC World coming on....

      Enjoying your blog too- lovely to be able to see Cornwall and all your garden projects. I am deeply envious of your seaside proximity :-)

      Delete
  4. Love Poppy at the laptop. Absolutely stunning Damselflies and I love the perspective with the Blackbird child looking like a Golden Eagle next to teh GSW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop has great expressions for the camera. That little blackbird has been making me laugh for days, bossing everyone else around. I caught her following her dad through the trees earlier, demanding worms which he gave her! x

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and photos, we have had a few birds hit our window too, but three so close together is odd, good luck with the exam, is it for work or are you doing it for your self ?
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing an ecology degree with a view to getting a job in a couple of years, maybe in woodland management. It's right up my street anyway and is building on stuff I already know and also introducing me to new things that I didn't. I love it (except the revision part!). It doesn't feel like work at all... x

      Delete
  6. Something hit my sitting room window the other day, I couldn't see anything on the ground so I suspect it flew away. The smear is ahem still there as the window cleaner is due today! Love your wildlife photos,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do recover from hitting windows more often than not, thank goodness. It's still upsetting when you hear them though. I really should get a window cleaner....

      Delete
  7. Lovely post and photos CT :) Our geums are just starting to flower - your arty shots were great :) Wood pigeons are the species that occasionally collide with our dirty kitchen window. The thud sound makes you jump out of your skin but, touch wood, by the time I've got outside they've recovered and flown off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon pig's must be thick skinned/ thick skulled- they do it here more often than any other bird too and I've yet to find a dead one as a result. I can't bear the sound either, it leaves me cold. Last summer our male blackcap whacked into the window and was out of it for the best part of an hour, then hopped up back on his feet and flew off as if nothing had happened!

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos! I think my favourite is the sleeping doggy! ;) How adorable......
    Marielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy does have that effect on folk- he is the dearest boy :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x