Sunday, 4 May 2014

Dartmoor Day 5: Homeward Bound

Nearly there, the last Dartmoor Post....

We left fairly bright and breezy (all things considered), but there was still time to go out for a walk before breakfast and make sure I'd got photos of everything I wanted a record of.

It was fantastic being in a place that had so many different species to those that I am used to at home. I've seen new birds and plants, and caught up with reptiles and amphibians that I haven't seen since I was a little girl.

The landscape in Dartmoor is breath-taking and it is well worth a visit if you want somewhere wild and spectacular to spend time in. You can walk for miles and never see a soul; the stars are bright as bright can be and you can go all day and never hear a car.

Here are the snaps from the last day...

Cuckoo Flower, or Ladies Smock


Foxglove leaves

The Green Lane up to the Tor

Cuckoo Flower

Lichen

A Muslin Moth I found in the hallway of the Youth Hostel. That took my Moth Count to Three for the week, and all new ones that I hadn't seen before too :-)

Muslin Moth



The road out of the village up across the moors

Wildlife Area at Bellever YH

Muslin Moth



Yellow lichen on barn wall

Pink Purslane

Primroses

Shetland Pony






Detail of rock by the gate on the Green Lane

Swallows

Bottom of the Green Lane

Beech trees growing out of the stones of the wall
 A really fantastic week and one in which I've learnt a lot and laughed a lot. Thanks to everyone who was there and made it such an enjoyable experience:

Des, Andy, Ben, Mathew, Dave, Andy, Rich, Rob, Matt, James, Jack, Cal, Harvey, Ruth, Em, Sash, Fi, Caroline, Cara, Ayla.

Back to normal posts now :-)

16 comments:

  1. It does look like such a beautiful adventure. I am always so fascinated with old stone walls and what grows on and out of them . That last photo with the tree growing out of the stone wall ~ fabulous. I could go there and sit for hours and be content !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great week with so many interesting things to see. I love stone walls too and the old trees growing out of them were amazing. I think it's a place you want to be still in and just absorb it all :-)

      Delete
  2. It looks as though you had a great time and saw some amazing and beautiful things! The beech trees with the stone walls and all that moss in the previous (I think!) post are stunning. It sounds as though it was a very productive week for you with lots of different things spotted and noted no doubt! Hope that you are having a relaxing weekend after all that busyness! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to take in and enjoy, it was a real tonic xx

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed all your lovely images of Dartmoor. It is such a special place and is one of our favourite places to visit. You had a wonderful time and saw some much including those 3 new moths. I expect you were greatly missed at home. Poppy must have been delighted to see you again! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah :-) A really super week, the memory of which will make me smile to the end of my days I think.
      Pops rushed up to me when I got home, bounced for two seconds and shot off, but Teddy stayed with me for ten minutes licking me and generally saying repeated hellos and 'you are definitely back home now mum, aren't you?' It was a lovely welcome home x

      Delete
  4. I have loved seeing all your photographs of your visit to Dartmoor. It was like being on the trip with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed- we all had such a laugh it didn't really feel like work at all :-)

      Delete
  5. I have really enjoyed all of your posts, so many interesting things to see, looks like you had a wonderful time.
    So many brilliant photos, loved them all!
    Thanks for sharing them all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. We had such a great week and learnt so much. It was well worth going x

      Delete
  6. Had a good look through all of your posts of your trip, looks like you had a good time, liking the moths and Lichen you found. I love the moss covering the walls and trees.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I was better at id'ing lichen- I have an id sheet but there are so many some looking so similar! x

      Delete
  7. This is the kind of adventure I would enjoy. Colour, Nature, Beauty, , countryside and all within..........adventures like this - wonderful - thank you for virtual trip and lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great adventure and one I will always remember with happy thoughts. So pleased you enjoyed the pics :-)

      Delete
  8. Its lovely to see all the photos of Dartmoor and read about your exploits. Sounds like a wonderful trip :) I especially like the rockpools and adders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adders were something else- a real treat to watch them in their natural habitat like that. Also the rockpools, which I am a huge fan of anyway- I could spend days happily rock pooling :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x