Monday, 12 May 2014

Another Bee Rescue...This Is Beecoming A Habit

A short post from me today because I have a pile of revision to do and a butterfly survey as well (weather permitting for this last and so far it's not looking good), and it's also my littlest niece's fifth birthday tea party this afternoon.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon in the garden tidying up, planting out and weeding. While I was checking the pond for signs of life I found yet another bee slowly drowning, so I hoicked him out and set about Bee Resuscitation. I am now Pretty Adept at this, to the extent my family don't bat an eyelid when they see me wandering about the house with a soggy bee eating honey on my finger.

This one was pretty far gone though so I wasn't holding out much hope. A sentiment that was reinforced when a particularly strong gust of wind swept over us, blew him off my finger and rolled him across the patio :-( I'm pretty sure that isn't meant to happen to bees. 

Anyway, I picked him up again and once he'd dried out and had some food he rallied and flew of. Phew.

I suspect he's some form of Carder rather than a Tree Bee, simply because he is a bit on the small side for a Tree Bee (even though he does have a white bottom).......








While engaged on Bee Rescue, I noticed this on the base of the water Iris....


It looks to me like a Damselfly nymph and might explain the presence of a beautiful creamy golden damsel who was whizzing about up there about the same time. I'm glad, because it means the pond, which is coming up to its first anniversary, is Making A Difference To Wildlife, which was the point of putting it in.

All the garden birds are feeding Smalls at the moment- you can tell from the slightly frazzled and distracted way they fly to and from the feeders. As a parent it is a look I recognise :-)

Our Robin has taken to landing within two feet of me and staring at me in a way that clearly says: 'I'm knackered, can you take over for a bit?' Last week he even hopped into the house while I was working on the computer, pecked a crumb the dogs hadn't found off the floor, bobbed his head at me before turning round and hopping out again. The Great Tit children have been making a racket in the trees beside the lake and the Blackbird's Child has been following her dad everywhere, demanding food...




I can hear the Sparrow Smalls chirruping away in their nest in the wall of the house. Mr and Mrs S are spending more time together out of the nest, which suggests to me the kids will be fledging any day. If last year is anything to go by I will soon be becoming Foster Mother to a clutch of Small Noisy Sparrow Children- Mrs S has a habit of dumping the kids in the hedge or on the lawn at my feet and whizzing off somewhere for ten mins, apparently utterly confident that I will prevent any harm from coming to her babies (she's right of course). Last summer one of the chicks managed to get through the cat flap into Cleo's room and sat on her bed cheeping like mad. Fortunately, Clee is a mouse person rather then a bird person and so paid the noisy little thing no attention whatsoever. I scooped it up, took it outside and whistled for its mother, who appeared, took one look at her errant baby, nodded at me and flew off to the hedge with the Child in hot pursuit.
We have a Special Bond, me and Mrs Sparrow.

I'll leave you with a pic of the Blue Tit, grabbing a morsel this morning.


Wishing you all a Good Week,

CT :-)

24 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the day when I finally find somewhere to settle at long last. First objective is to encourage wildlife into a garden no matter how small it may be. Your posts just make me want it that much more.... though the allotment is already starting to attract welcome wild visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lovely thing about wild creatures and nature is that you don't need a huge acreage to make a difference and indeed to come into contact with The Wild. I wandered for years John before settling here, so I know what you mean. It'll come...

      Delete
  2. You are definitely getting a bee rescue reputation amongst your local bee population! That can beeeeee the only possible answer! Hope that you have a good week and that the butterfly survey goes well - I wonder if you will see any of the more illusive ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel rather honoured to have already had so many close beeee encounters this year. It's nice to help them and they are such dear little creatures. Butterfly survey was great- miraculous sunshine and warmth, they were flying everywhere :-)

      Delete
  3. I smiled at your use of word beecoming, you were able to make a another successful rescue. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you...Bee nurse at the ready! It has bee awful here today heavy rain showers one after the other..poor bees and butterfly's
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thea :-)

      It rained heavily here on and off this morning too, but bright sunshine this afternoon. Apparently, it is set to get warmer as the week goes on....we live in hope :-) xx

      Delete
  5. It's great to hear you've rescued another bee. I think once you start rescuing these little creatures it becomes a regular commitment! It's lovely to read about all the new bird families in the garden. The butterfly survey sounds interesting. I wonder what you'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sucker for bees on the whole and it's been lovely to have such close contact with them this year (although I'd rather they weren't drowning of course). The survey went much better than expected. I'm doing a few in various places this summer so will post about it soon.

      Delete
  6. Another bee lives to buzz again!

    I thought of you today as I went over the chain ferry to Studland and then on to Durlston Country Park. A beautiful day and we missed most of the rain showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that chain ferry- you really feel like you've gone into a new country, crossing water like that. So pleased you managed to dodge the rain- better weather heading our way this week :-)

      Delete
  7. I love when people take time to save such tiny creatures like bees, It's so easy to pass them by, even when they need help. And yet they are so important in our environment. Everyone should rescue a bee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a regular occurrence here Marielle :-) Loving your paintings btw- will get round to commenting once revision and exam done and dusted, time is a bit hairy here at present!

      Delete
  8. Well done on another bee rescue and loved hearing about your bird families :) Hope the butterfly survey and revision went well.

    Yes, I have heard of the Jennifer Owen book - she saw so much in the 30 years!! I haven't got it yet though (its been on wish list for ages!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should arrive this week- I'll do a post on it later. Sounds fascinating and exactly up my street, as I know it is yours too x

      Delete
  9. Well, now I've heard it all - a Sparrow Whisperer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a few bees that had been caught out in the rain the other day, unable to bring home, but the sun came out realy warm, so they would dry out quite quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are well adapted for showers so I'm sure they'd be fine. Ponds, less so... :-)

      Delete
  11. Always happy to see your rescued bees.....good luck with the revision! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. Revision is OK, just be glad when the exam's done and I can concentrate on being outside! x

      Delete
  12. Love the way the bee dried out-all captured on camera! I just can't imagine how a sparrow chick could be so misguided as to get through a cat flap...don't they know there is likely to be a cat on the other side? Oh the wonders of nature and the joys of sharing our lives with these creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard the baby cheeping all morning and twice gone looking for it- never in Cleo's room though for obvious reasons! Absolutely no idea how it managed to get through the cat flap, but there it was, sitting inches from a cat and making a right old racket and being completely ignored. Miraculous :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x