Monday, 17 March 2014

Weekend Catch-Up

It's been an eventful weekend.

M took J to Canterbury on Saturday to check out the University of Kent, which was on her short list to study French next year, but after Saturday no longer is, so the visit did its job. They left early and got back late, so I was on my own with the boys. F went metal detecting at a friend's farm up the road where he found, within twenty minutes, this beautiful silver denarius lying not far beneath the surface. Its a coin of the Roman Emporer Antonius Pius (adopted son and successor of Hadrian- he of Wall Fame), and it dates from 138-161 AD. It was minted in Rome and F is utterly thrilled with it....The detail is quite extraordinary. I got tingles holding it- just consider, this has been in the earth for almost 2000 years, and it is quite likely that the last thing to touch it before F found it was the Roman hand that dropped it. If you look closely you can see his mustache and individual hairs in his beard.


Silver denarius of Emperor Pius

And here's the reverse side, showing the Goddess Salus (representing security and well-being) holding what's called a patera, or offering dish, whilst feeding a snake...



A denarius in Roman times would buy you 4lbs of grapes or half a hair cut....

Meanwhile, while all this field-and-ancient-history-excitement was going on a few miles away, back home L had his friend over for the day- you remember the one who never says thank you and always says 'I know' whenever you say anything?

I had given myself a Good Talking To about this lad, telling myself that L is a good judge of character, that he likes this boy, who is, after all, only a child, and that I am being Not Very Mature by allowing him to wind me up. All the same I gritted my teeth when he arrived at a little over 8am, and M's parting words as he left for Canterbury were something to do with what time I would be getting the G&T out. Ma texted me half-way through to ask how it was going (which translated meant: have you retreated to the top of the garden with a bottle of wine and some chocolate, and are you gibbering to yourself in silent fury?).

In the event, he only really wound me up once by bouncing a balloon on Teddy's upturned face, which made Ted blink a bit and me shriek that that was not the way we treated our animals. I pity his poor dog, but then perhaps he will now think twice before he does it again. I did feel sorry for him when the boys were in the garden digging holes and he said he'd never been allowed to dig a hole in his garden. Every boy needs to dig holes, its an essential part of boyhood.

After dropping him home I felt in need of some restorative activity in the form of taking pictures of flowers....

Daisy


Daffodil

Daff

Anemone

Stripy crocus

Hellebore

Quince Blossom

It was while I was doing this that there came a terrible screeching cry from the front near the lane, which I assumed was a dog walking past and taking exception to our hounds, who will insist on patrolling their front gate if they are out there. It was only when I heard F yelling hysterically for me that I realised something was wrong. He appeared, tearing up the path with Poppy in his arms. She had got her head stuck in a trellis and it was tight around her neck.
My heart stopped and I felt sick and cold, in that way you do when confronted with a shocking sight that nevertheless requires you to be calm and able to function.

Thank God it wasn't so tight that she couldn't breath, but it had obviously hurt her when it went on and it was stuck pretty tight. The boys were brilliant. F held Pops who had stopped struggling as soon as she saw me, evidently realising she was in safe hands; L gripped the trellis to stop it pulling on her windpipe, but not before he'd fetched me a chisel with which to prise the trellis apart.
It took ages and it was not an easy job- chisels are dead sharp and we were hampered  by the close proximity of Pop's neck and face as well as F's naked arm which was a little too close for comfort. As it was I sliced my finger open when it slipped, but as I'd rather it was me than Pops or the boys that was OK..

Anyway, long story short, we eventually got her out OK unscathed. I'm relating this in case any of you have anything similar in your garden...


After that horrid bit of drama I needed to settle and good old nature cheered me up perfectly by showing me that we have a short-tailed vole living in the front veg patch. I watched him for ages scurrying between the wall and the long grasses through which he was burrowing. I didn't get a hugely clear view but you can just about see him in this shot...I'm glad he's there.

Bit Gorgeous

Sunday was a calmer day. 

M and I were up with the larks (literally, judging from the way they were rising from our feet as we walked through the fields) and were out walking the dogs before 8. No one was around and it was bright sunlight and peace all the way. A song thrush was singing in a Scots Pine in the hedgerow when we set off and was still singing when we came back an hour later.

This sign at the back entrance to Mottisfont abbey, which we passed on our walk, made me smile. It says: 'these gates are closed'.



We took the grumpy teens to Winchester for a walk by the river before lunch, as well as a placatory visit to the bookshop for L and a hot chocolate at Ginger Too. When we got home M hacked out an enormous area of dead and gloomy looking shrubs (that have been there since we arrived and have had no attention at all for more than ten years) at the top of the garden, and now we suddenly have several feet of extra space and a stack more sunlight, and I am excited because it means more growing space for bee, butterfly and moth friendly plants, and potentially some wildlife-type homes as well, and I like having those sort of thoughts to think about. Any suggestions? For some reason the photo has come out squashed- the area is bigger than it looks and gets sunlight for most of the day, although in a  shady kind of way, if that makes sense?




While he was busy doing that (and narrowly avoiding mattocking his bare ankle), I decided it was high time Teddy had a hair cut. He is BRILLIANT at this, just lies down on the table lead-and-collar-less for an hour while I trim him with the clippers....

Before....

And after. So that's what your eyes look like!


I'll leave you with some shots of Bumble, chipper as ever despite her poorly foot, and the Goldfinches, who are in and out of the garden like mad...

 




Hope you're all having a good start to the week? Not long till Easter now...

CT :-)

16 comments:

  1. What an amazing find the Roman coin is...your son can be rightly proud of it. I hope Poppy hasn't ventured into the trellis or anything similar since her little adventure. hugs to Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing thing, that coin- I always feel hugely privileged to see and handle the ancient and beautiful things he pulls out of the ground. Pops is fine now, apart from a run-in with Cleo this evening when she very nearly got a claw in her eye... always something! :-)

      Delete
  2. Firstly, and only because I'll forget if I don't say it first, there's something weird going on with some of your photos - they seem to be stretched.....a lot of the flowers and the one of the shed. It's never happened before so not sure what's going on there.

    Secondly, University of Kent......I had a friend there in the mid 1980's and I went to stay with her in the halls of residence. AWFUL! So wise choice there J. A complete dump. Perhaps they've improved it thirty years on but I doubt it!

    Thirdly, Thank goodness Pops is okay. Jack likes to gnaw on chicken wire and I can't believe we haven't had a related vets' bill.

    And finally, Teddy looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm planning on doing Snippet VERY soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea why the pics have come out squished like that- probably something I've done! Sorry if it made you feel a tad sick looking at them (as it did me).

      Interesting re uni of Kent. You'd hope it would have moved on in 30 years, but perhaps if the land energy there is dodgy they're fighting a losing battle...

      HUGE relief re pops. She is such a big part of our family, I couldn't bare it if anything happened to her. She eats everything in sight too...

      I'll tell Ted you approve of his hair cut- I think he is just relieved to be able to see out again :-) Looking forward to seeing Snip's new 'do in due course xx

      Delete
  3. The silver dinaruis gave me the tingles too, just looking at your photo. What an amazing and beautiful coin to find!

    So pleased you managed to release Poppy and I`m impressed with Teddy`s haircut :-)

    Some of your photos don`t appear at all for me. There`s just a white square with a ? in the middle.......??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord knows what's going on with the photos...Blogger gremlins I expect (either that or it's me!).

      The coin is lovely- perfect, and a great addition to his collection.

      Pops seems no worse for her accident (thank goodness) and Teddy is enjoying being able to see out again! :-)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful find - we have a metal detector, but need to properly get to grips with it. Trouble is, on our smallholding and locally all we have ever found is bits of redundant tractor, fence staples or wire . . .

    Tam (eldest daughter) and I were Field Walking on a Roman and Bronze Age site last Saturday afternoon. It had been 3/4 walked in the morning, but we finished off the last bit and then counter-walked it in the opposite direction, and I found a few (smallest and then definitely LARGEST flint - one "in the rough" with just two chunks struck off it) and Tam found the most amazing Mesolithic core. Amazing when you think of how long ago that was last touched. It was nice to get back to our Archaeology again (it's what we both did our degrees in).

    Have fun choosing your butterfly/moth/wildlife plants. Night-scented stock for the moths perchance? Perhaps a spread of something so you have winter-blossom as well - Viburnam bodnantensis, Witchhhazel, Winter Jasmine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on your field walk- we often find with metal detecting that you can go over the same land many times and find different things on different days. F found me three Neolithic arrow heads which I have upstairs and will post some pics of them- gorgeous things.

      Re the signals on metal detectors, you do learn to distinguish the pings for coins/ scrap- it's just practice.

      M is getting me a witch hazel for my bd, and I have some night-scented stock already, but winter jasmine is a great idea which I shall pursue, thank you for the suggestions.

      Enjoy Florence (you lucky thing!) :-)

      Delete
  5. The Roman coin is brilliant - what a find :)

    So glad Poppy was ok after the trellis incident. It just illustrates how many things there are in gardens that look totally harmless yet can cause problems :(

    I liked the flower photos to be honest :) I thought the stretchy effect made them look rather surreal and creative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so excited about the coin, I don't think it left his hand all afternoon!

      So scary with pops and the trellis- she is a devil for getting into scrapes, must be her Jack Russell ancestry!

      Thank you re the pics- they do look a bit different! x

      Delete
  6. I too was so impressed with F's find! Poor Pops getting stuck, glad she hasn't suffered any ill effects. Teddy looks so smart, Daisy needs doing too! The sun was so bright on Sunday we too were out early enjoying it.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think F is now desperate to find another one! Very scary about Poppy but she is OK. Teddy keeps looking at me as if to say 'I can see!' :-) xx

      Delete
  7. The coin is brilliant - how exciting for F. It's always fascinating to think about who would have dropped it and why.
    Poor Poppy - thank goodness she was OK. Ted looks so smart after his haircut. Harry has been booked in for one in a few days time and I'll be able to see his eyes again, too!
    Have fun planting in the new patch. There will be so many wildlife friendly plants to choose from, but I think I'd aim to have something in flower there throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stories behind these objects- a real touch-stone with history. What I would really like to find is a celtic coin....
      Yes, lots to think about with the new patch. I would love a wildflower meadow area. At the mo we're trying to make sure we have plants that will flower most of the year. I've just ordered a load of wildflower seeds so perhaps could put them there.

      Delete
  8. So glad to hear Poppy is ok-oh they can get into such scrapes so easily. The short tailed vole is lucky to be living in your garden, I hope he stays around for more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was lucky and it's made me very aware of potential hazards with her! I'm thrilled about the little vole and hope there is a Mrs vole around too x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x