Sunday, 16 February 2014

Sunday Morning's Regulation Walk With Grumpy Teenagers: Winchester Floods

OK. I know this is becoming a recurrent theme, but there is so much flood water about that it's quite hard not to do a post about it.

This morning, we went into Winchester for the regulation Sunday Walk With Grumpy Teens.
'Do we have to?' says a recumbent L, who was lying once more in his makeshift bed at the foot of ours. 'Only I have been ill, in case you had forgotten, and I haven't eaten properly for days and also M woke me up when he got up to let the dogs out this morning. He gets up very noisily.'
It is his bedroom, I point out. And besides, if we left you to your own devices you'd be sitting on your ars* slumped in front of the computer all day, and that isn't exactly healthy.
'Well, how long are we going to be then? And where are we going to park? And is it that walk by the river meadows, because I don't like that one.'
I pointed out that, taken as a whole, there are very few walks he does like. This time we were going to the Itchen that flows through Winchester to see the flooding there. So wear your wellies, I added, having experienced his idea of suitable footwear during yesterday's Flood Patrol, which was trainers, and they all too inevitably got soaked within three seconds, and then froze his feet, which he blamed me for, because obviously I have the power to a) force him into wellies when he refuses to wear them b) stop it raining and c) magic away floods.
'I don't like my wellies, which is why I didn't wear them yesterday. Can I wear my woofs instead?'
Well, says I, you can, but they may not be long enough and you may still end up with feet, and if you do we are continuing on.

Anyway, we arrived in Winchester to a Song Thrush singing in a Plane Tree, which I photographed. This activity unaccountably produced a small throng of people who gathered about me gazing up into the tree to see what it was I was taking a picture of. I thought this was Rather Strange, given that a few metres away there was Dramatic Flood Water flowing along the footpath.

Rounding the corner and appraising ourselves of the depth of the flood, L, who had been complaining that he'd worn his woof boots for no reason, suddenly went quiet, then, after sizing up the flow, began to complain he should have been wearing his wellies.

Eventually, he tippy-toed through the flood water (holding his jeans up around his knees), past the 'footpath closed' sign which a large number of people were also ignoring, and then proceeded to drench his feet in the deeper, faster flowing bits. Next J realised that her wellies had a hole in them for the second time (having forgotten that she'd realised this the last time we walked through a flood) and then F boisterously rushed through the flood, got water inside his wellies and ended up with wet feet as well. I, meanwhile, I hitched a piggy-back on M so was pretty much the only one whose feet remained dry.





The footpath was pretty much under water all the way, but it was nothing that a decent pair of wellies couldn't cope with, and the river itself was safely behind a fence so you couldn't mistake it for the path, fall in and drown.....


Wouldn't fancy sitting on these at the moment....

It was quite a torrent sweeping down the path




Reaching the other end of the river walk we found the exit barred off and an excited group of on-lookers taking pictures of the flood. They all stood back expectantly, waiting to see how we would negotiate the barricade. M lifted the kids over one by one and I hopped over athletically with poise and elegance (for once). I couldn't help but notice that the crowd looked disappointed at this, as if they'd wanted to see at least one of us fall on our ar*e. 

We made a detour via primark to get L some crocs and defrost his numb feet, then went to Ginger Two for smoothies. On  the way back to the car I got some shots of one of most favourite cities...


Winchester Cathedral











I had an email from Mrs M this morning. She has asked me to say a BIG THANK YOU for all your kind messages of concern when her house flooded. Unfortunately, the water has returned with a-vengeance this weekend and is now higher than ever inside. We badly need some dry weather to allow the levels to drop and places to dry out.

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

CT :-)





29 comments:

  1. Lovely walk with those blue skies, shame about the damp! It all seems to have gone crazy doesn't it, still nature does her thing regardless. So sorry your friend has suffered more flooding, I cannot imagine what that must be like, and I can only hope it will all dry out very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is shocking for the poor folks whose homes are under water, but nature has a way of issuing her own set of checks and balances I guess, and at least all the aquifers are now full once more, which will look after us all over the summer.

      Delete
  2. With all these flood photos all I can say is that I am jolly glad I have been meticulous with my pelvic floor exercises over the years.

    I hope Mrs M is bearing up - it seems to be a theme with this appalling weather that as soon as people feel like they are making progress forward, a step backwards occurs. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again - Monday - for reasons I do not understand, half the email addresses from my account have vanished, yours included. Bah! So, just to let you know I am sitting tonight at 7 p.m following a call from a friend in need. Just in case you can or want to join me! That's all. Off to try and find the other half of my contacts page now. Bah again! Xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank goodness for blog comment pages then! Have emailed you my email.

      Phew! What a relief the pelvic floor is holding up under significant duress. I shall try very hard not to post any more watery-type pictures....

      Mrs M is a stalwart lady, being a midwife, and can see that bricks and mortar are replaceable in a way people are not. A point of view which I am certain will help get her through, as will her wicked sense of humour xx

      Delete
  3. I certainly do hope the weather cooperates with all of you there soon, and brings on a lot of sunny days to dry up some of that rain .
    Sending best wishes to you.
    Willow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will all swing around again in the way of things. Are you snow-free now? I did enjoy the pics of the ponies larking about in it. Poppy has yet to see snow so I am quite looking forward to her first experience of it, which doesn't look like it will be any time soon... x

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that Mrs M has even more water in the house. They must be longing to see the back of these devastating foods.

    Lovely, if unusual photos of a watery Winchester. It has always been my favourite cathedral city too, with Lincoln coming a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's realising it could be months not weeks before it all gets sorted. What an upheaval, poor things.

      I love Lincoln too, and Salisbury. Wells Cathedral is another favourite- so many beautiful cities in the UK, we are spoilt for them really x

      Delete
  5. There is just no let up with this awful weather. We have escaped the floods but the high winds have been terrifying. I do hope you get some respite soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chel and thank you for the follow :-)

      Yes, the weather only seems to know how to blow a gale or chuck it down at present. Can't be long before a shift now surely.... :-)

      Delete
  6. My children are just the same - they don't like their wellies but enjoy splashing around in the water when they are wearing them! It looks so flooded in Winchester too! Poor Mrs M, hope the water starts to recede and she can recover. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bigger worry now is contamination of the flood water with sewage and other bugs. Yuk. We really are having a belly-full of it aren't we? Roll on summer.... x

      Delete
  7. So sad to see all the flooding around you. I hope we all get the promised respite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week is looking better....so they say.... Finger's crossed! x

      Delete
  8. I'd almost forgotten how beautiful Winchester is. I'm almost homesick now! What a lovely walk and the path looks really pretty under water like that.

    I had to smile at your "audience" when you were taking the photo of the Thrush. I doubt it would happen round here.

    I hope that we have a drier week so the flooding subsides a bit and Mrs M and all the other folk can start to claim their lives and homes back again.

    My mum and my gran used to go to the Cinema in Winchester every Wednesday - that's just suddenly come out of nowhere! How odd . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning a Salisbury post in the near future- would that trigger memories too? I love all those places, such gorgeous old building and so much history and some lovely walks round about. Hope you are feeling better now x

      Delete
  9. I am glad to hear that you had a nice walk, but sad to hear that your friend has had more water in. I do hope that it abates soon and they can start the drying out process. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone is hoping the waters have reached their peak and will soon start to subside. It's the see-sawing that's been the real pain here. Forecast is better next week.... Hope all's well with you x

      Delete
  10. Winchester is a lovely place for a Sunday wander, but it is horrible to see it so flooded. Yesterday was such a gorgeous day, if only we could have weeks of days like that now to dry everything up and help people like Mrs M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the Saxon Kings in the caskets on the choir stalls in Winchester Cathedral? Fantastic. I always imagine Alfred's court there whenever we walk past the Cathedral.

      Yes please to some dry weather- a spot of sun will cheer everyone up :-)

      Delete
  11. Winchester looks beautiful - one of those places on my list to visit one day but what a shame about the floods.

    I do hope you get a respite soon and the situation improves for Mrs M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love Winchester - there's a nature reserve on the edge of town and St Catherine's hillfort and the water meadows- lots of lovely places.

      Hoping the water will start to drop from Mrs M's house this week then they can plan a recovery.

      I saw a flock of fieldfare (I think, rather than Redwings) while metal detecting this morning. There must have been 50 odd of them- fantastic! And two skylarks rising from the ground and singing their hearts out :-)

      Delete
  12. So awful to see that much flooding, people must be under a terrible psychological strain at the moment with either flooded houses of just trying to stop it happening.
    Winchester looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite incredible- I've never seen anything like it before. If you get the chance to visit Winch you should take it- it's a beautiful city,

      Delete
  13. HI CT I have been watching all the terrible flooding on the TV and I am so sorry for all these poor people and for Mrs M Great shots of Winchester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,

      It has been pretty terrible here but the levels are starting to drop, whether from pumping or just starting to settle :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x