Sunday, 9 February 2014

More Romsey Flood Pictures, and Who Can Tell The Difference Between A Marsh And A Willow Tit?

The sun came out today, and M and I went for a walk round Sadler's Mill, which is a very pretty part of town where there is a salmon leap and a number of lovely old houses. The river Test, which runs through Sadler's Mill,  has flooded that section of town and several houses as well as Romsey's War Memorial park were besieged by water. The good news is that the levels don't seem to be rising anymore, so I am really hoping that Romsey can start to recover and put itself back together.






We walked through these fields at Christmas time when they were green grass.


Flooded footpath up to Green Hill



Seat in the War Memorial Park


View across the park with the river on the right behind the railings

There isn't usually a river beneath this tree which would ordinarily be standing on dry ground



Crocuses in the park- a welcome sight after all the water

On our way back to the car I took these pics of a couple of houses that I like, one is timber-framed and the other constructed from Bath Stone. I particularly like the carvings on the stone house...

Dragon

Acorns

Detail on the door frame

Detail around the window

Old timber framed property
We stopped off at the Bear And Ragged Staff for a nice pub lunch and then got home to a hail storm, which Pops found fascinating. She is showing no ill-effects following her run in with Gladys yesterday, and has been bouncing around wagging her tail happily, which is a relief. She did get into a small amount of trouble with her father last night. We had friends round for supper and she forgot her sofa-related manners in a fit of over-excitement at their being new people in the house, and leapt up onto Owen's lap and proceeded to cover him in whiskery Jack Russel type kisses. Ted looked utterly scandalised and Pops was hastily removed.


The birds have been active on the feeders today, between showers. Mr Sparrow has perfected the art of sitting on the feeder arm and obliged with a close-up to show off his handsome bib and eye-markings (let that be a lesson to any would-be young male sparrows who are thinking about challenging him this Spring....).
 

I'm going to leave you with a picture of a bird I haven't seen for ages who was back in the garden this morning. Now, I know he/ she is either a Marsh Tit, or a Willow Tit, but can I tell the difference? Noooooo. So I am really hoping that one of you avid and intelligent bird people out there can tell me which one he/ she is. Either way, I am glad to see him/ her back. Lovely little bird.



Have a good evening all,

CT :-)
 

16 comments:

  1. Can't tell the difference either! No birds on my feeders today, but they need cleaning out and dry food putting back in. It's lovely and calm now. I hope that flood water soon runs away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, nor me! I have given up trying :-)

      Glad calm has returned to Brixham, and I am wishing you a return to lots of lovely garden birds too. Roll on summer, eh?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the water level isn't rising anymore, it's so depressing to see places under water like that.
    I'm not sure about the Marsh Tit/Willow Tit - I believe the Willow Tit has a larger black bib but I rarely see either of them so I'm not good at identifying them! Wonderful to see one of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wonder how long it will all take to drain away?

      Sooo pleased to have the marshwillow tit (as I have taken to calling it) back in the garden. There were a pair last year (assuming it was two of the same species and not one of each, but who knows?), so am hoping to see both again soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Still very wet there then! I hope your friends are okay at least the levels aren't rising (fingers crossed). Oh, I nearly forgot to ask how your mum is these days after her fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed indeed. More rain forecast this week....

      Mum is stiff and sore, but I think on the mend, thank you for asking. Recovery takes longer as the years tick by doesn't it? (she'll love me for saying that!) :-)

      Delete
  4. I have real trouble identifying willow and marsh tits. The latter has a shinier head, I think, the willow tit's is described as 'sooty'. And the willow tit has a lighter area on the wing. My guess would be willow, but I'm really not sure. Can you get it to turn round a bit next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone does Jess, even the experts :-)
      Next time he's in the garden I'll have a word about showing off all sides so I can get several pics for ID purposes :-)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I am guessing that it is ..... a very pretty bird, beautifully photographed! Sorry, I have no idea. I hope that the water levels go down for you very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he :-) I will just call it marshwillow from now on and cover all the bases :-)

      Delete
  6. Sorry I have been out of blog land for a few days as Daisy has been ill. Your pictures of the floods over the last 3 posts look dreadful and I feel so sorry for your friend and the residents of Romsey who have been suffering with the flooding. I hope the worse is over. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about Daisy- hope she is OK now?

      Yes, quite shocking here in recent days, and the latest concern is school kids walking through floods where manhole covers have come off the drains. Lots of warnings from school about it. Better safe than sorry x

      Delete
  7. I do like those two old houses in Romsey and relieved to hear flood levels seem to have stopped rising - hope your friends are ok.

    I'm really no expert and have huge problems with Marsh and Willow Tit id unless you see them together its hard! But from your photo the black crown does look glossy and the lower bill seems to have a hint of a white margin so I would lean towards Marsh but please don't quote me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romsey has some lovely old buildings- this summer I will try and catalogue them and put a post together.

      No more rain yet, but some due on Weds. Hoping the levels will have dropped enough for it not to cause more havoc.

      Interesting re the marsh/ willow conundrum. My lecturers also have difficulties telling them apart. Last year I ended up referring to them as marshwillows and can see I'll be doing the same thing this year too! :-)

      Delete
    2. How LOVELY to see photos of Romsey again - a real trip down memory lane for me. I especially liked the architecture of the buildings as I'm interested in stuff like that (history, archaeology, old houses etc) so I shall look forward with pleasure to the post you do of your summer walk around the town.

      I hope the water levels drop soon. I spoke to one of my Aged Aunties at the weekend and she knew the water was "coming up the town" a bit, but don't think she was aware how bad it was as she'd not been out.

      No good on telling the marsh/willow tits apart either, but lovely to see them in the garden.

      Delete
    3. So glad you enjoyed them :-) I'm a fan of old buildings and history too. We're pretty spoilt round here for that sort of thing with Salisbury and Winchester a stone's throw away. Writing the blog gives me the excuse I need to get out and catalogue all the places I love.

      I'm glad your Aunty was OK- Romsey is a town of two halves at present- the central and Southern parts aren't really affected at all, it's the North that's really got it bad.

      The saga of the marsh v willow tit continues... I can see I'm going to have to send the pic off to the BTO or RSPB for a definitive answer :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x