Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Two Go Mad In The Garden, A Time Of Water, and Introducing Shanti

After walking round the woods with my friend Mrs Massey and her two dogs Oscar and Lucy first thing, Ted, Poppy and I continued on to ma's so they could see their doggy cousins Dylan and Dougal, and I could meet Shanti.....


She's a Haflinger (an Austrian breed), and mum's new pony. After the very sad start we had to the new year when we lost our mare Lou, I am hoping Shanti will prove to be a new chapter for ma and her riding. 

Ted is more than used to horses (too used to them- he can often be found sitting nonchalantly under their bellies), but Poppy isn't, and today she came face-to-face with Coco, our rescue pony. I rather think she was glad of the fence between them.....


After that she spent the remainder of the time we were there chasing and being chased by Dylan...




They had Great Fun and she was gratifyingly exhausted when we got home.

The sun was shining this morning which made for some nice photos....

Single Apple left on the tree

Daphne growing outside the house. Wish I could take a picture of the smell- it's heavenly.

LTT

Robin in the sun

Collar Dove

Jackdaw
 I'm back at college tomorrow, supposedly working on hedgerow management, but the forecast is dire so we'll see. It's only when you really start to learn about hedgerows that you appreciate their value and important fully- they provide everything from food to shelter to somewhere to hibernate to corridors for safe passage across the landscape for such a wide variety of wild things.

Talking of wild things, we had some sad news from The Chalk over the weekend- Vera, one of the sheep, has had to be put to sleep due to a dicky heart. She was losing condition and starting to limp badly and really wasn't looking at all good when I saw her last. Animal husbandry does have these sad moments. So now there are 28 sheep to look out for.

To balance the sad news, there was the Most Beautiful Rainbow shining in the sky as I went to collect L from school this afternoon. The photo doesn't do it justice- it was really vibrant, almost painful to look at......


We've had snow forecast here for Thursday. Whether it will materialise or not remains to be seen, but we certainly don't need any further rainfall- there is no-where for it to go, and all this water is destabilising the trees. 

Walking through the woods this morning, a great many of the paths were blocked with fallen trees and there are branches down everywhere. I can't remember a time when so many trees fell, and those that haven't aren't necessarily safe which makes walking and driving under them dicey.

It is a time of water indeed. I can't remember so much rain falling over so many consecutive weeks before. M could tell you exactly how much we've had, and even I know that we're fast approaching record-breaking-territory. 

In Chinese medicine terms water governs the emotions and the organs of water, namely the bladder and the kidneys. They are connected with feelings of grief, worry and anxiety. If watery energetic flow is compromised, it can make you more susceptible to experiencing these feelings and a good and simple way to avoid or combat this is to keep warm and dry and to eat warming foods.

Water is of course absolutely necessary for life, but too much of it can be damaging. And of course, when water freezes ice forms and we all know where that can lead.... Incidentally, M's check-up yesterday was reassuring. The bone continues to heal well and has remained in the right place, so as long as he continues to be careful there's no reason at all why it shouldn't heal up and be fine and dandy.

I'm in the middle of inputting my moth data from last year onto a spreadsheet for the county recorder. Moths don't like too much rain either, although they will cope with surprisingly more than you'd think.
The data entry is proving to be a rather a long job so this year I think I will do the entries as I go. Believe it or not, there are moths flying at this time of year, so as long as we get a dryish warmish night soon I shall be putting the box out and seeing what's there in the morning. Last year's total was 311 different species in the end- it'll be very interesting to see what this year's total is. I'm missing my moths considerably- writing up the results from 2013 has brought them all back into sharp focus and I can't wait to see them again.

I'll leave you with a picture of three doggy people having a ball chasing each other round the garden....Animals have a lot to teach us about the simple joys of life, don't you think?



Hope all are well.

CT :-)

18 comments:

  1. Your Daphne is looking glorious.. time for Smell-o-Blog. Great pic of the LTT too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one either side of the path to the front door. I find myself hovering there every time I go past and just breathing :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the photos of the dogs, especially the last one with Poppy in full-leap. I love her investigating Coco, too.
    Sadly our local farming businessman continues to hack at the hedgerows here. No wonder I don't hear so many lovely yellowhammers in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doggies didn't stop all the time they were together. The puppies are more or less the same size and age so they are perfect play-fellows. I love watching them. Uncle Ted was gently supervising.

      So sad about your hedges, especially if the yellowhammers are suffering as a result. Countryside stewardship guidelines are now much better at conserving hedges and advice to farmers is tailored at maximising the benefit to wildlife. Hopefully he'll take note!

      Delete
  3. I love that last photo of the doggy people! It is one of the reasons I like walking in our local park - to watch all the dogs having a gallop and a play together.

    Wishing your Ma a beautiful new friendship with her beautiful new pony, Shanti. Such a gentle looking face. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy dogs are such joyful creatures. We're so lucky with both of ours- friendly and straightforward and always happy.
      Let's keep finger's crossed Shanti works out well for ma. I know she really misses Lou so hopefully this will be a new start. xx

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your mom on beautiful Shanti .
    The dogs are having so much fun, great photos depicting their play !
    The birds are fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willow :-)

      You can't help but smile watching puppies play. They are a great tonic!

      Delete
  5. So pleased your mum has got another horse - Shanti looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a good summer of lovely rides across the forest is ahead for her.

      Delete
  6. Shanti is beautiful.. and Dylan is having a blast, i can tell! All such wonderful photos. I feel like i was on the visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I'd just left you a comment and the saw yours to me- great minds think alike :-)

      Those doggies were so funny to watch, they didn't stop chasing each other all the time we were there, round and round and round the garden.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that your mum has a new horse and to hear the re-assuring news re: M.

    I always leave entering my moth records on an excel sheet until the end of the year and it takes for ever and a day. This year I have made a resolution (yet again!!!!) to do them weekly :) I haven't had my moth trap out yet either and the moths have even stopped coming to lighted windows so I am yet to see one this year :( Missing butterflies too!

    I've just noticed a past comment - the bird photos of the RSPB Birdwatch were all mine - its just that some of them were taken last year or even before :)

    Have you been watching the 3 Musketeers btw? Plenty of TVBF material there I reckon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, we can encourage each other to write up the records each week. I haven't seen any moths for ages :-( The Down where I check the sheep is a haven for butterflies so I'm going to do some transects with the ranger there. Can't wait!

      Your bird pics were lovely- oh for that much sunshine again!

      Yes, lots of TVBF potential on Musketeers....! :-)

      Delete
  8. That last pic is fabulous! Dylan is a sweetie. I've always been a fan of the Haflinger but never actually met one. This is as close as I'm likely to get I think. She looks very kind. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was really pleased with the dog pics- captured their sense of fun perfectly! Finger's crossed re Shanti, early days yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those Doggie action pictures they are great and made me Ahh, and smile! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bring a grin to my face too- puppies playing together are a complete delight. New toys for ours today, including one Poppy loves which has 'been there, chewed that' written on it- very apt! Hope Daisy is well. xx

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x