Monday, 13 January 2014

Photographic Monday

Which is a bit misleading, because these weren't taken today.

I thought I'd experiment with the new tripod and see if I could get any decent moon and star type pictures over the weekend, having felt inspired by the moon and star photograph man confidently asserting how easy night-time photography is on stargazing last week. Here are the results...

Bit indistinct, but you can at least make out some of the craters on the dark side. It got a lot worse after this....
Oh Dear. Bet you didn't know we had a sock-shaped moon in the sky did you?
Yes. This, believe it or not, is a star. More practice required I fear...
On to better photographs. 

Here are a selection of LTT's who have been Very Busy Indeed in the garden over the weekend...





And not to forget our Robins, who have been showing suggestions of Spring-type behaviour, by which I mean all three of them have been seen sharing the same patch of garden without war or bad language breaking out...



Limpy the sheep (otherwise know as Gladys) has made a truly miraculous recovery and is now only distinguishable from the others by the off-white coat she's sporting, which is still encrusted with dried mud. There was barely a hobble in sight when we took the dogs to check them over the weekend, and this was despite Poppy's best efforts to test her recovery by running excitedly at the flock. A severe reprimand was issued for this naughty behaviour and she was put firmly back on the lead, not looking, I have to say, in the least bit chastised. Ted, meanwhile, looked very worried indeed and hissed at her when she was brought back under control: 'Poppy, you mustn't do that. You'll get us both into so much trouble,' which is not unlike his response when she zips upstairs and he looks mortified and shocked at her nerve. I fear she will never be as polite and thoughtful as Teddy. She is a bit of a wild child at the moment but that's perhaps only to be expected.
 
Gladys (far left), looking better than this time last week
Two of the other sheep lookers have done a brilliant job creating a level path around the treacherous slopes so we can now look for the sheep without fear of sliding down the hills on our bottoms. I rather like the markers that tell you where to walk...

Orange Sheep, this way...
 And this is why the path has become necessary...

I swear they do this on purpose, hiding in the most inaccessible undergrowth at the top of the steepest hill
We have sunshine here, which makes a nice change. L and I got stuck at the top of the hill on the way to school this morning because of major emergency drainage work that has got traffic lights all over the place. Rush hour traffic and drainage works don't make for happy bedfellows. Luckily, we know the cross country route so took that instead and got to school by the skin of our teeth with seconds to spare. I shall avoid that route in tomorrow.
I've also just ordered a whole pile of wool with which to make L a blanket of his own. He has been casting covetous eyes on mine and I fear if I don't make him one of his own he'll pinch it before long. The new wool is cygnet seriously chunky and I splashed out on a wide range of shades from bluebell to candy pink (that'll go down well won't it?) so we have a rich variety of colours arriving. I'll try to  post some pics for you. I must be getting old, because the ordering and arrival of new wool heralds such great excitement I can't wait for it to get here so I can start knitting!

Hope all are well,

CT :-)

19 comments:

  1. Gladys the sheep looks fine now! A job well done.

    I love your LTTs and robins. Our birds have started singing again. Here, the wood pigeons and collared doves have been "courting" every time the rain stops!

    Good luck with the space photos. I`m going to leave that to Mr DW and my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big relief re Gladys. She was lucky I think.

      I thought your son's pic of Jupiter was amazing (puts mine thoroughly to shame!!).

      Our pigeons and doves have also been courting here- I love watching all the bowing, so courteous, even if Mrs just flies off looking bored afterwards!

      Delete
    2. Great Gladys news and fabulous to see those LTT's. There was one in my mum's hedge the other day, right outside the kitchen window. I've never seen one so close up. So beautiful....no camera of course!

      Delete
    3. That always happens doesn't it? Soooo frustrating, Still, at least you know they are there now so praps next time? x

      Delete
  2. I think as there is a Button Moon you are allowed a Sock Moon. The LTTs are adorable! And I also love the little red sheep mark on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, we forgot Button Moon on your re-cap of children's progs from the 60s and 70s did we not?

      Delete
    2. Not so much forgotten as strategically misplaced!!

      Delete
  3. Glad Limpy has made a good recovery. Your pictures of the moon are so much better than any of my attempts!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased she is OK too. I shall try some more moon pics and hope to improve! x

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad Gladys is better! :). Your moin pics aren't so bad. I've never tried night photography. Now i want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one lucky sheep I think :-)

      I think the secret to night photography is a tripod. And knowing what you are doing helps, which I don't at present!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Still no LTTs here..
    But good to know that Gladys is on the mend.
    Just say it is a shooting star. Or maybe a UFO?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send some LTTs down your way as we have a few to spare.

      I thought about claiming it was a shooting star. Alternatively I could have said something about the picture showing the rotation of the Earth, but that would equally have been a lie. I need some lessons really :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to hear "Limpy" is recovering so well :) Well done on the Moon photos :) I've found you need a tripod my last try without was a complete disaster and my son had the nerve to blame me and my lack of photographic knowledge!!!! :)

    I haven't seen a LTT in the garden yet this year although they were coming regularly before Christmas so no doubt they will return!

    Look forward to seeing the wool - I have now got myself organised and all my knitting stuff is stored in one box! I thought of you yesterday when I was decluttering and found a folder stuffed full of knitting patterns - lots of scarf patterns :) I am sure you enjoyed Sherlock on Sunday as much as I did :) Am now in search of Series 1 and 2 which we have somewhere on dvd so I can rewatch those and drool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full moon coming up so I'll have another go and see if I can improve things :-)

      It's a good feeling to organise and declutter- and now no excuse not to finish the scarf and start the blanket eh?!

      I think we should get BC's back catalogue between us, then we could share it and need never be without eye candy. There was a bit of kissy kissy stuff going on on Sunday wasn't there- not sure whether I approved! :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos of the LTTs, although they're still not coming to my feeders. And I'm so pleased Gladys is OK.
    I'd love to attempt pics of the night sky, too, but I think I'd have to be in a darker sky area first. There's so much light pollution here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we're doing well for the LTTs here. Long may it continue. I'm hoping for more LTT children this spring- they were do adorable (if noisy) last year.

      We're lucky with the skies here- clear nights afford a tremendous view of the stars. It always surprises me because we're not all that far from Southampton.

      Delete
  8. I did enjoy Stargazing Live. I can never get a good image of the moon-need a different type of camera lens. Great to see the LLTs they are so cute, I do get a family passing through now and again. Go happy to see and hear that Gladys is better-I have a lame dog at the moment-vet does not know whats wrong even after hundreds of pounds spent on x-rays. Will try out new pain relief next week after vet appt and hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is the professionals make it look so easy- some of the star pics were amazing. It lulled me into a false sense of photographic security! Still, it was fun messing about with the camera and tripod in the dark and the resulting images gave us all a good laugh :-)

      Hope your doggy gets better soon. Sometimes a change of diet onto an all-natural no-additives food can make a big difference to joint mobility, Might be worth a try if you're drawing blanks elsewhere.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x