Sunday, 8 December 2013

Christmas Charities, Christmas Robin, Christmas Tree and Christmas Sheep

Every Crimble time L and I choose two charities to give some money to. We choose one for animals and one for humans.

I've had the animal one sorted since the summer when a leaflet arrived through the door highlighting the plight of donkeys working abroad. The Brooke will be getting some money as will Crisis, the homeless charity.

For the past fortnight the TV, Radio, Newspapers and conversations with friends (not to mention my own thoughts and feelings), have been directing me towards homelessness. It's a poignant time of the year to be without home and family and for 20 odd quid you can give someone a Christmas meal, a hot shower, a shave, a change of clothes, a health check and access to advice, services and training. It's not much to ask is it?
I am thinking L and I will volunteer at a soup kitchen next year- I think it would be good for him and I would like to help.

We decorated our tree yesterday. It is Poppy proof (so far) and all the lights work...


Every year J and I have the same argument about which fairy gets to sit on the top. Not surprisingly, she wins...But how ridiculous is her lopsided bit of sparkly feathery fluff? I mean, you can't even see its face and what is that trumpet all about (not to mention the too-short and most unfairy like dress)......?



But I suppose this is still better than the Self-Satisfied Blond Strumpet ma brought back for us from Greece one year. I think her rather-too-pleased-with-herself expression and (there is no other word for it) buxom chest entirely inappropriate in a fairy, which is why she never gets to sit on the top of the tree but instead finds herself firmly relegated to a low-down branch that is Quite Close To The Floor, raising my hopes that one year one of the dogs might get her....


The Greek Strumpet has reminded me of the time we went to see Basil Brush with the Montessori Mummies and all the kids. They were all about 4 years old at the time and for some reason M came too. Basil was brilliant, and then about half way through the show there was inexplicable interlude of leotard-clad women doing an exotic dance around the stage. It was so BLATANTLY put in to give the dad's something to enjoy that we all fell about laughing at it (although M took it very seriously I seem to remember, and still recalls it fondly).

 I think I'll just stick to my Green Man who hangs in front of the fire place instead....



Pop's had her first Grown Up Walk yesterday when I went to check the sheep. She was knackered afterwards and slept for hours curled in a ball in front of the fire. Her favourite bits were: growling at the sheep, tripping dad up and eating sheep poo.


Betty managed NOT to head-butt anyone, which was an improvement. Although she has got a Fine Collection of burrs.....

 
The Views were stunning as always....



 And just as we were leaving the sun decided to peek out from behind the clouds....

I'm not sure whether it's entirely obvious from this pic, but if you look closely you might just be able to see a plane crossing the sun to the right of the photo?

J's bd celebrations went off well. We got her an Ipod Touch, which she was thrilled with and has spent the remainder of the weekend filling with music and relaying her emails to. And I knitted her a grey wool scarf which hasn't left her neck (so either she really likes it or she's making up for yet another year when her fairy won Prime Position On The Tree...). Here is her cake, made by me but sadly with shop bought eggs, as, for the first time EVER, our girls have downed tools and STOPPED LAYING!!!!!!

M is taking the left-overs to work tomorrow. Smarties are a hit on a cake regardless of whether you are 4 or 40 I find.
I'll leave you with some pictures of our Lovely Christmas Robin, who was singing his little heart out in our beech hedge this morning.











Wishing you all a Good Week Ahead,

CT :-)                                                    

19 comments:

  1. I reckon Poppy will have that lower line of tinsel out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could well be right Jess.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the tree is survives with Poppy around, she should be able to help you out with the angel problem! I love the Christmas robin too and the plane against the sun. Glad J had a good birthday.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good with the tree- I don't expect it will last that way for long though. And of course, there's no hope whatsoever of putting any presents round it this year... x

      Delete
  4. Agree, tinsel will be tugged and pulled with great delight. You do have some strange fairy decorations for the tree! We have a gold cherub, which my husband puts at the top of the tree and places one light above its head and one between its legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the eccentricity of people at Christmas. I expect you could write an entire thesis on Christmas decorations.... :-)

      Delete
  5. Two worthy causes, CT.
    I had to smile at your two Christmas tree fairies. ( I must admit I love eccentric Christmas tree decorations). And I do love the Green Man, too.
    I'm pleased J's birthday celebrations went well. I think we're going to have a reverse situation to you with our chooks this year - usually we don't get eggs at Christmas but our two new girls are still laying well at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no hope at all in our house of the tree ever looking anything less than eccentric :-) M saw some trees with all-white themes last week- Crimble would lack something for me if it was too tidy!
      Lucky you re getting winter eggs. I hate buying shop ones- they have no colour in the yolk by comparison, I'll have to find some locally.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Jessica - Poppy is merely biding her time. She is awaiting her moment and practising pointing the paw of blame. I predict an imminent photograph of Puppy In Tinsel! BTW, my resident V.E.T says that puppies usually go a bit sleepy after their J.A.B.S. He says either Poppy was over-excited about her trip out or she is merely bonkers.

    We don't argue about Christmas fairies at MMM because pride of place every year goes to Gonzo the Great, for whom I made a fairy outfit years ago. I might need to revamp his wand this year though, because the star kept falling off last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She met her cousin dogs yesterday and after an initial 5 second of nerves got very bossy with them all indeed and after ten mins was ruling the roost!

      I think it must have been a reaction to the jab, all that hyper behaviour weds/ thurs because by fri she was back to normal.

      Can you post a picture of Gonzo please?

      Delete
    2. I shall do, as soon as the tree goes up which shall probably be at the weekend!

      Delete
  7. Is the white fluffy thing supposed to be an angel? Maybe that would explain the trumpet. That's a nice tree - we still have to get ours. Next week-end's adventure, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed an angel, but it is tradition in our house to only allow fairies on the top of the tree so she has been re-branded.

      Tree cost a bloody fortune so am glad it looks the part!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Your tree looks lovely - luckily we no longer have arguments over which fairy goes on top of the tree here. My daughter no longer likes the new fairy she chose when she was little so it gets relegated to the hall shelf and the old fairy is allowed to reign supreme :) Very tatty now mind you!

    I love your Green Man - I have a lovely one in our porch that my son bought me last year for my birthday :)

    Glad J's birthday celebrations went well - the cake looks yummy :)

    Hope the tree survives Poppy's attentions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to the day MY fairy (who is pink with long plaits and has a sweet freckled face) gets to sit in prime position and that furry feathery bit of nonsense is packed away! :-)

      Still so far so good re tree and Poppy. Sadly our shoes, sofa throw, cushions and various tennis balls are not faring so well! x

      Delete
  9. Lovely views !
    The Christmas Robin is a beauty too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robins are perfect for Christmas time and this one is so friendly, sits and sings all day for us- I feel blessed every time I hear him :-)

      Delete
  10. No eggs here , either.I was mortified to have to buy them, after the summer's glut...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda and welcome to Countryside Tales.

      You are so right- it is completely mortifying having to buy eggs when you're used to your own. They just look so pale and uninteresting and taste of nothing at all in comparison. :-(

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x