Sunday, 10 November 2013

Weekend Round Up

It's been a weekend of Two Halves, at least as far as the weather is concerned. Foul yesterday, gorgeous, clear and sunlit today. Temperatures are falling now, as evidenced by my Herald Moth who has settled on the wall low down behind our bed (amongst the cobwebs, shopping bags, tissues and general detritus that accumulates there) to sleep off the winter, and also by the water in the taps which is icy cold. No frosts here yet, but it can only be a matter of time. I've found lots of sloes in various places so at the first sign of icy white lace tracery on the foliage outside I'll be off with my basket to collect them.

Yesterday M and I ventured out onto the Down in The Foulest Of Weather to check the sheep. We counted 25 and there should be 29, but some of the thickets are impassible for people and despite spending an hour and a half searching we eventually had to concede defeat. 
This was in despite of Betty's excellent help - she followed me round the entire boundary, including up the steepest of the hills, and all the way back to the gate. She is a very Friendly Sheep, but I suspect her devotion is largely of the cupboard persuasion, as I had the bucket of sheep nuts with me....



Betty also gave Ted some training on How Dogs Should Behave Around Sheep, largely by lowering her head at him and stamping her foot in a Very Peremptory Manner, which he seemed to understand despite never really having had Much To Do With Sheep Before. He was very well behaved, didn't attempt to chase any of the girls and was Very Respectful of them, giving them a Wide Berth. He also got soaking wet as the grass on the Down is mostly taller than he is....


Despite the appalling weather the views were still spectacular with hints of Autumn Colours here and there....



The weather was much improved when we woke up on Sunday, so we dragged the kids out for the regulation Sunday Walk With Teenagers through the woods and fields around the Mottisfont Estate. L developed a mysterious knee ailment within 5 mins of leaving the car which persisted until, fed up with listening to the grumbling and witnessing the wincing/ hobbling/ general hoppiness of every step he took, we turned round and headed back to the car, upon which the mystery ailment suddenly and miraculously Cleared Up Entirely and has remained Fine since.

There were some nice woolly bear type cattle grazing in one of the fields. They were Young and as such Completely Fascinated by us....



There were also rooks cawing and tumbling above the stubble in another field, making a Very Autumnal Scene Indeed....




We've also been to Meet The Puppies today. One little lass in particular caught L's eye. She is the smallest of the bunch, very quiet and fluffy, and we have all fallen in love with her. Her name is Poppy and she will be coming home with us next weekend, so you can expect to be seeing and hearing Much More of her.....


Hope your weekend has been as much fun as ours.

CT :-)

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Such a poppet- can't wait to get her home.

      Delete
  2. Well the puppy steals the show here, but a lovely country post. How exciting for next weekend, you'll hardly be able to sleep! Can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said exactly same thing to M re sleeping! Soooo exciting!
      Hope all the furry members of your family are well and the cats haven't tipped any more wine over the cushions :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Poppy!!! I like the cows, too. Very keen on cows. And sheep. Not pigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be surprised my dear to hear that she exactly matches the picture I had in my head. I had already decided on the name Poppy and mentioned it to M and no one else, then our daughter suddenly piped up at lunch "I like the name Poppy for our new puppy," so Poppy it is x

      Delete
  4. Good to see that you remain committed to your shepherding duties despite the foul weather. It is also good to see that your dog is respectful of the livestock as dogs worrying sheep is becoming an ever growing problem in the countryside (coming from a farming background I have a distrust of all dogs which aren't my own !). However I have to admit that Poppy is an adorable looking wee puppy and I look forward to seeing & hearing more about her in the coming weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I grew up with horses when you go out come rain or shine so no bad weather would put me off checking the flock :-) Likewise, T has been used to riding out across the forest with the nags so is generally well behaved around livestock. Betty was a good teacher though. Absolutely no excuse for dogs worrying livestock unless they really do come across them unexpectedly. As soon as she's old enough Pops will be out with the sheep and taking instructing from Betty too! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh! Poppy is delightful. Can't wait to see more of her. I imagine Ted will have mixed emotions if Snippet's reaction has been anything to go by. Jack drives him mad but I still know we did the right thing. He loves him really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fully expecting a few teething problems- all depends on how riotous Poppy is. At the moment she's quiet as a mouse but I very much doubt that will be the way she stays once she's here and has found her paws! :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Poppy! Looks like a nice weekend even with the weather being as it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,
      Loved those pics of the Northern Lights - it made me more determined to get there and see them one day.
      We're all excited about Poppy arriving- hopefully to better weather! CT :-)

      Delete
  7. Poppy looks just adorable - do look forward to seeing more photos :) Not too many sleeps left now before she comes home with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm counting every one... (will I never grow up? Hope not!) :-)

      Delete
  8. You are always so busy doing so much it was very wet here on Saturday too. Poppy looks so cute, how exciting to have her coming home with you next weekend. The name is lovely too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must have shared the same storm Sarah.

      We're all VERY excited indeed about Pop's arrival. I shall soon be festooning the blog with pictures of her :-)

      Delete
  9. Poppy is gorgeous! I can't wait to see more of her. I love Betty too. I wish I could be sure that my sheep were attached to me rather than the prospect of any food I might have. Well done to Ted for keeping his respectful distance away from the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting very excited now- on a count-down :-)

      Betty is great, much more friendly than the other ladies (or more greedy, depending on how you look at it). And Teddy was very well behaved with her and the others. I shall be taking Poppy up there for sheep training once she's big enough not to lose in the grass!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Tomorrow... I can't wait. Our house is a very excited place today!

      Delete
  11. Awwww Poppy looks adorable!! Bracken thinks so too, he just tried to jump on my laptop to tell you!

    Betty and Ted look like they were a great help.

    I can't wait to see more of Poppy! I bet Ted will love her too - who wouldn't!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless Bracken, what a sweetheart. She's here tomorrow morning so tomorrow afternoon (if I can tear myself away) there will be photos! :-)

      Delete
  12. Your Teddy and soon to be new puppy poppy are adorable.
    Love your view of the countryside .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, and thank you for the follow :-)

      Ted is a star. Just hope he will be alright with Poppy and not feel that his nose is out of joint!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. Which poem did you want to post? If it is Mary Oliver one then I know I probably shouldn't reproduce it but everyone does this these days and I think it helps to publicise an author's work (not that Mary Oliver needs that!). If it is my 'For Finbar' poem then of course feel free to post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Mary Oliver one but thanks for permission for yours too. I enjoy reading them. I used to write lots of poetry years ago so it's lovely to read yours now. I thought I'd put it up tomorrow with pics of Poppy- it says it all really. Thanks my dear :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x