Friday, 22 November 2013

Two Go Mad In Hampshire

On the whole, I'd say Poppy's first week has been a success.


Ted has come round to accepting the fact that she's here to stay and appears resigned to making the best of having to share his house with a small fur-ball who squeaks a lot and wants to bounce, leap and play nearly all the time, and Pops has learnt that when she overdoes the bouncing, leaping, squeaking and playing, Ted will pin her to the ground and put her head in his mouth.

So, an equilibrium of sorts has been reached.

F and J are home this weekend and L has two mates coming round tomorrow for an x-box-athon, which will mean plenty of attention and distraction for Poppy with lots of oohing and ahhing (until, that is, she chews their socks or bites their ankles or grabs their hair, all of which, we have discovered this week, are Favourite Puppy Things To Do).

She managed to fall down the gap between the edge of the patio and the fence whilst exploring in the dark last night. It was something I had been expecting. Ted stood there wagging his tail and peering into the abyss apparently intrigued. Poppy wasn't the least bit concerned, just scrabbled with her paws and then when she realised she couldn't climb out, waited for me to hoick her out. She's a tough little thing, which is good. 

That has been the Story Of My Week this week really (not falling down holes, I meant puppy stuff). I cleared my diary so I could work at home and be there to do wee and poo runs every hour (worse than having a newborn baby I'm telling you, although I suppose you'd be done for Child Cruelty if you put a newborn in a cage when you went to bed for the night, tempting those this might sometimes be, so that is something a puppy has in their favour). I was also available to play when T had had enough.

She is VERY endearing, particularly when she growls and woofs at things, and also when she is suddenly overcome with tiredness and climbs up onto my lap, curls into a ball and falls fast asleep in a matter of seconds. Or when she flops on her side next to Teddy in front of the fire and looks like a Proper Dog.


Intellectual Dogs watching University Challenge  by the fire



It's a bit less endearing when she bites onto the end of an expensive scarf from White Company and tugs it backwards, strangling me and leaving a neat incision in the material.

I did manage to tear myself away long enough to go to college where I inflicted Severe Pain On My Poor Aging Brain cells in the form of Rather Baffling Redox Reactions And Half Equations. I wasn't the only one. I was about 15 the last time I did any real chemistry (and that is too long ago now to make the recollection flattering) and it was never my favourite subject so I have ground to make up. There is no substitute for Hard Work- when you don't know something you just have to work at it until it goes in. Good job I like a challenge really.


I usually take a small water bottle into lectures and have decided next week to substitute it for gin; no one will know, and I'm sure the hard stuff will simply Float In that way.

Going back to dogs (which, apart from Redox Reactions are my Main Topic Of Conversation this week- and frankly dogs are the more appealing of the two) Dylan (ma's pup) had an accidental overdose of wormer last week and has had the runs ever since. M has therefore christened him Diarrhoea Dylan and now I can't get the name out of my head. I hope to get some pics or a video of him (not the diarrhoea bit) playing with Poppy this weekend, assuming she doesn't tear his head off first. If so (the video, not the head tearing) I will endeavour to post it here. Two pups playing together should make for some nice 'ahhhhh' moments.

In the mean time, here are a couple of videos of Ted and Poppy in action this week...







I'm off to bring Small in from the garden. It is getting dark and an owl has just hooted from a tree that is Rather Close To The Garden. When you've a puppy the size of a small rabbit prowling about with her bigger brother that is a Disconcerting Thought. The wol might decide she fits his idea of Supper. Being a Tough Little J.R and only 9 weeks old tomorrow and therefore unused to owls, this thought will not have occurred to her....

Wishing you all a Good, Restful Fun-Filled Weekend. Not long till Christmas now (I bought some new decorations for the tree today so it must be near).

CT :-)

16 comments:

  1. Poor Uncle Ted, he looked totally exhausted in that last video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets his own back by pinning her to the ground then she can't move and becomes unusually quiet!

      Delete
  2. It was lovely to see the videos of Ted and Poppy. Where does Poopy get all her energy from? Daisy enjoyed seeing it too and was rather taken with Ted! Hope you get some rest this weekend!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted will be pleased!

      She is on the go most of the time, apart from when she's asleep really x

      Delete
  3. Have another lovely weekend with the lovely and lively Poppy and Ted getting settled in together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely overwhelmed with the cuteness of it all! I am glad to see Ted employs the same technique as Tybalt when dealing with the small and persistent furries - the 'pin 'em down until they hush' method. Well done, Teddy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he took Tybalt's advice from his letter.

      She is adorable, but has now found her paws and is starting to test boundaries Aunty Denise, so the ironing water spray is seeing some use!

      Delete
  5. Poppy is just so cute - I had a Jack Russell terrier years ago when I was a child and they are great little dogs :)

    Love the videos :) Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is certainly a feisty little thing- much braver than Ted was at the same age :-)

      Glad you enjoyed the vids.

      Delete
  6. The photos and the videos are wonderful. I love Poppy's sudden dashes across the room. Poor Ted did look as though he'd given up on all games in the last one. I'm not sure those toys will last, there did look like some serious chewing going on there!
    I can't believe they're both so relaxed during University Challenge. We can't watch it here because Harry howls each time a buzzer goes off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them Wendy, she's grown so much already I'm relieved to have got some video of her before she becomes enormous!
      Love the idea of H howling at UC buzzers! :-)

      Delete
  7. Adorable!! LOVE the videos! I must work out how to do them and I could put some on my blog of Bracken as a wee one! Redox reactions weren't too long ago for me but I do remember disliking them enormously! I too try and avoid chemistry as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must- be lovely to see him.

      Chemistry- let's not go there! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x