Saturday, 23 November 2013

Bravery and Champagne

I did an incredibly brave thing today.

I left three 12 and 13 year old boys alone unsupervised in our house.

M had taken F and J to the British Museum to look at coins, and then to Harrods to look at things that are too expensive to buy, and I decided (after being trapped in the car listening to teenage boy talk for ten minutes) that further exposure to this type of chat was not going to significantly add to my day and could quite possibly detract from it. There are some things you are better off not clogging your brain with and a knowledge of how 12 and 13 year old boys see the world is one of them.

So I escaped with the dogs to ma's.

I took Pops with me because I feared that, had I left her behind, she was in danger of being treated as a novel toy by one of the children in particular and this would a) have been bad for her and b) made me extremely grumpy. Why do some children see animals as extensions of the action man or soft toy they had when they were eight or nine? Some people have the gift of intuitively understanding and communicating with animals but many do not. Poppy's too little to say 'get off' in any meaningful way at the moment, but Ted was eyeing this boy suspiciously the moment he came through the door, which was enough for me. Animals know these things, don't they?
Funnily enough, he is also a child who, while friendly enough, when you tell him anything automatically replies "I know" regardless of the subject, which I find maddening!


Half an hour more and they all go home and then peace returneth.

I think I must now be a Grumpy Old Woman. Officially.

Anyway, despite my concerns all was well when the dogs and I returned home. The house had not been burnt down or trashed in any way and there was still alcohol in all the bottles at the levels I'd measured and marked them at before I left. Luckily, we live too far away from civilisation for there to have been any casual-popping-in of say, ooh, quite randomly, people of the female persuasion, and anyway, these three are far too engrossed in shoot 'em ups on the xbox to dally with ladies just yet (I know this from the lack of attention to clothes and hair that is in very obvious attendance on their persons).

Pops was not at all sure about meeting Diarrhoea Dylan and Dougal at ma's and climbed up these shelves in the kitchen, where she remained the entire time, surveying the other dogs with a very worried look on her little face.



It was my turn to check the sheep on the down this morning and M and I were up early and got there before 8. The sheep were not expecting visitors at that hour and as a consequence we surprised them all still abed and as yet unresolved on where they would hide in order to bamboozle us. We counted all 29 in two batches and were done in half an hour.
We took Pops along. She shivered within a few seconds of leaving the car so ended up tucked inside my coat which she seemed to like. I have revised my opinion of Betty after she rammed Ted with her horns. All my Protective Mother Instincts Emerged and I got very cross with her. The poor dog was coming back to see us and she was being Mrs Greedy-Bag for the nuts in M's bucket. Fortunately T wasn't hurt, just shocked I think. But Poppy was amazing- she erupted from my coat, leapt up on my shoulder and growled and barked at the sheep so fiercely you would have been forgiven for thinking she was an adult dog several times her size. It was a very sweet display of loyalty for Teddy, and he licked her nose to say thank you.

I think this is what is called a 'knowing eye'

As a total aside, I've just glanced out of the window towards the lake and seen the kingfisher perched  on one of the branches of the trees. Hopefully I'll get a picture before long. We also had a Robin visitor in our bedroom last week. I got back to find perfume and oil  bottles lying on their sides and was a bit baffled about what had gone on until I found a robin poo on my jewellery box. This is not the first time he's been in- our robin knows his way in and out through the window pretty well and has been known to fly in through the upstairs window, fly down the stairs to the kitchen, eat some scraps and go back upstairs and back out the window.

I've also been to Asda this afternoon. The store has a reputation locally for being the place mothers go to smack their kids but today there was no smacking in evidence, only my favourite champagne, Moet (in case you were wondering what to get me for Christmas), on special offer. It would have been rude not to buy any so I got a bottle along with two ENORMOUS wine glasses, which look big enough to fit an entire bottle in (perhaps I should have got two moets?). This will at least save one or the other of us having to walk back into the kitchen for a re-fill.


The small glass is for scale
 Hope you're all enjoying your weekend? 

I'm looking forward to Strictly, a packet of crisps and a GIANT glass of something white and chilled in front of the fire...

Till next time,  CT :-)

18 comments:

  1. HI CT Enjoyed reading your post this evening just before I settle down to wastch Strickly. Yuo dog is so cute adn she looks so frightend on that shelf. Hope you enjooo your evening all cosy y the fire adn TV with glass in hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed the dancing too? I thought Sophie was just brilliant- couldn't understand the judge's comments at all :-(

      Delete
  2. I love that photo of Poppy on the shelf. It just shows how tiny she is (and cute, of course) Sorry to hear that Ted was rammed by Betty. Sheep do get pushy when they come up for food, don't they? I love that Poppy sprung to his defence!
    I do envy you those Kingfishers. I haven't seen one for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo too- sums her up perfectly.

      Yes, Bossy Betty I think from now on, and poor Ted :-(

      I've seen the kingfisher 4 times in 8 years, 3 of which have been in the last month!

      Delete
  3. Ah poor Ted and Poppy - I'm sorry Dougal and Dylan were too much for Poppy, but it was so good of her to defend Ted! Enjoy your very large glass of wine!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very impressed- she's a brave little thing. Hopefully T appreciated it!

      Delete
  4. How lovely that Poppy is leaping to the defence of her big brother Teddy! It seems like she has been part of your family for AGES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does- I said the same thing to M this evening. Struggling to remember a time when she wasn't here. As per Flora, she was meant to be x

      Delete
  5. Poppy looks so cute on the shelf-luckily there's always somewhere safe where she can watch and learn. I think the Ted, sheep and Poppy growling story is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo of her. The dogs are starting to bond properly now- this morning we took them both out (Poppy being carried) and she squeaked when he got too far ahead, at which point he turned round and came charging anxiously back to make sure she was ok. What a relief!

      Delete
  6. Gosh - Poppy really is the cutest little thing imaginable - she looks so adorable on that shelf :)

    Like the large wine glasses - must be buying myself some of those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the expression I think.

      £3 for two wine glasses in Asda- bargain! :-)

      Delete
  7. I couldn't survive without Asda. Much as I'd love to shop at Waitrose, we can't afford it and, with coxes £.00 a bog at Asda at the moment and half that for a single apple at Waitrose, I have no choice. Not ethical I know, but needs must.

    OB drives me mad the way he treats Jack and I'm constantly having to reverse behaviour that he's encouraging. As you might have guessed, am not in a very positive frame of mind tonight....sorry! Enjoy that champagne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go there whenever L is playing Badminton and stock up- it is good value and as you say Waitrose is immensely expensive for weekly shops.

      The friend of L's who was driving me mad with Pops is almost 13 and has a dog at home himself so he should know better. Grrrr :-(

      Delete
  8. Aww, Pops looks so sweet and cuddly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How on earth did she even get up onto that shelf!! What a little sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sitting in the dog bed (as you do) and she climbed up me. Less impressed with her today- she's been running up and down the stairs despite being told not to several times! Arghhhhh!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x