Thursday, 31 October 2013

Happy Halloweeeeeeen!

Here are our efforts in the Pumpkin Carving Stakes:

I am concerned that M's attempt may well Frighten Small Children, but for all the wrong reasons (it certainly terrifies me)

This is mine. The pineapple hair do is because the stalk fell off so you can't get the lid off without prising it with a knife

F's take on the traditional Halloween Pumpkin reminds me of a giant

This is J's, neat and feminine, as she herself is. L declared he was too old for pumpkin carving so hasn't done one. Although interestingly, he is not too old to want to go to trick or treating (which we never do) and to get grumpy about not going trick or treating. I suspect the allure is more to do with the thought of copious quantities of sweets being available than any notion of the ancient festival this evening piggy-backs on (either that or it's the appeal of terrorising old ladies)

They are all now outside the front door, scaring off potential trick-or-treaters, although to be honest I am more worried about any passing moths being attracted to the light of the candles and getting singed and pumpkined in the process.  


Being primarily an Old Pagan at heart, I shall take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy Samhaine. May you be guided well through the year ahead and may it bring you many blessings, light, peace, happiness, contentment, an abundance of learning and the achievement of goals.

CT :-)


14 comments:

  1. Thank you CT, enjoy your evening and don't worry about the moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A feathered thorn came to visit, luckily well away from the pumpkins- L spotted him on a window :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the pumpkins, especially the pineapple hair do. Thanks for your good wishes - may you have a wonderful year, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought everyone would be too old for pumpkins this year but they were horrified when I suggested not doing any carving - especially my husband, who is 46! Lesson well and truly learnt.

      Delete
  3. I went to visit my grand-daughter yesterday, and before I was even at the front gate she appeared at the door and shrieked, 'Don't tread on my pumpkins, Gran!' There were two on the door step - how she thought I wouldn't see them I do not know!

    May your year be full of love and light, progress and laughter, too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest niece (4) has just started school. Ma was looking after her last Sat when Em suddenly put down what she was doing and announced "I think it's time for a snog granny." They are priceless- I adore small people and their view of the world. X

      Delete
  4. Great pumpkins :) Happy Samhaine to you too and best wishes for the coming year :)

    I never let my son and daughter go trick or treating either although we do have fun carving pumpkins and baking Hallowe'en type bakes!

    I put the moth trap out last night - just one Light Brown Apple Moth - thanks for good wishes re: Merveille du Jour - I live in hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, pumpkins outside the front door are now an unofficial sign that the householder welcomes trick or treaters. I did not know this, but a patient this morning confirms that it is so :-)

      I think you need to upgrade to a Robinson x

      Delete
  5. Yes - that first one is rather disturbing! Much better with the light in it in the dark....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask you.....would you mind if I used Teddy's picture instead of the Spaniels in the top right of my blog? He's so adorable and I don't really like them! x

      Delete
  6. How lovely! Enough pumpkin for a month of pumpkin pie?! We failed to carve one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one spare so I think you're right- we'll be eating it till December! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x