Monday, 7 October 2013

A Time Of Moths, An Unusual Beetle And An Interesting Pointy-Headed Caterpillar

The Moth Box was out last night but as it was fairly cool here there wasn't a great deal to show for it in terms of numbers. There were however two new species, a Red-Line Quaker and a European Corn Borer, which takes my annual total to 308 (or thereabouts). There were also several dew-drenched moths on the grass which were worthy of a photo, such as this Rather Soggy Black Rustic...


 The box was dominated by Large Yellow Underwings, as it has been for quite some time now, as well as Blair's Shoulder Knots who started turning up here last week. There was also a Nice Selection of Autumnal Sallows as you'd expect for this time of year.

Barred Sallow

Pink Barred Sallow

Moving On To Other Species, there were a few Frosted Oranges both in the box and in the leaves and grasses outside it. These will always be one of my favourite moths because of their astonishing pattern and vibrant colours. Also in and around the box were Black Rustics, several Red Green Carpets which are Doing Very Well here at present, a couple of Common Marbled Carpets (both colour variations) and a Dark Sword Grass, which is known rather excitingly as the Black Cutworm in America.

 Frosted Orange

Black Rustic

Red Green Carpet

Common Marbled Carpet

Dark Sword Grass, a migrant that flies over to the UK but does not breed here

While Hunting Moths around the garden I discovered this Intriguing Beetle on a leaf. I'd never seen one before and discovered he is a kind of Rove Beetle of which there are 1000 species. This one, in case you're interested, is Paederus Littoralis. Thank goodness he was so distinctive or I would have really struggled to ID him!


 While treating a patient in the clinic this morning my attention was distracted by this amazing caterpillar who was wandering about on the roses. Luckily the patient is a gardeny outdoor person and quite understood me pausing to get a photo! 

 It's a Grey Dagger moth caterpillar.

It was Spider Web City outside first thing too and while I'm not a spider person I can and do admire their handiwork when it comes to Web Creation. The healing tradition that I am a part of uses the symbolism of the spider's web to understand one's path through life. It's called the Strands of the Brocade, and the thinking is that you follow one strand until you come to a segment where the strand joins another, at which point you may choose to continue with the same strand or to turn off it in another direction. The same goes for the people that travel with you: some will remain on the same strand of the brocade with you for all or most of your life heading in the same direction, while others turn off.











I'll leave you with a Splash Of Colour from some honeysuckle which is still persevering in the garden....


And one of my New Species from today, the Rather Pretty Red-Line Quaker.....


Till Next Time,

CT :-)

15 comments:

  1. Nice selection of autumn moths CT and as ever I am super envious of your Frosted Orange, hopefully I'll get one before the end of their season. Otherwise it is interesting to see that you are more or less recording much the same species as me at the moment :-)

    Nice dewy webs as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been rather spoilt with the Frosted Oranges here I fear- we get one or more most days, but they are spectacular so I never tire of seeing them.

      Delete
  2. HI CT Love all the MOths but I think you captured the webs great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :-)

      Thanks- dewy Autumnal mornings are perfect for photographing the webs

      Delete
  3. The moths are lovely - as always. And the spiders' webs are magical, they are so delicate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different web structures draped over the hedges at the moment I find them fascinating. I'm still waiting on a Merveille du Jour moth. Here's a link (hope it works) if you fancy a look. They are spectacular. http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1103

      Delete
  4. I think the Red Green Carpet is my favourite - absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you don't see the colours until you get the camera close up and then they are amazing.

      Haven't forgotten about you drawing Teddy, weekend flashed by but you are on my list to email! Is there a particular size of photo file you need? (says she, sounding like she knows what she's talking about!) x

      Delete
  5. Brilliant caterpillar and dewy moth :) I love spiders webs in the autumn and you've captured them wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou :-)

      Re the over-picking of mushrooms, I don't get why people are so short-sighted about these things. There is a real problem in the New Forest (not far from here) with it. Ma was out riding the other day and came across a woman who was picking them who complained to ma that other people had got there first and taken the best ones. Evidently she didn't view her own mushroom picking as part of that chain. I've seen them with buckets full. They sell them to smart restaurants in London who then put them on their menus as "fresh New Forest mushrooms" and charge a small fortune for them. Grrrr :-(

      Delete
    2. I think greed fuels this selfish way of going. We have a similar problem with samphire picking around here. It isn't as common as up in Norfolk, but people pick it from the salt marshes with buckets in tow and go and sell it to the expensive seafood restaurants. Blooming narrow minded!

      Delete
  6. Nice selection of moths there CT - love the Frosted Orange - never ever had one of those!

    Love the spider web photos - lovely sign of autumn :)

    Went to see MS in 12 Angry Men last night - he was excellent and definite TVBF material :) Gave him a sneaky wave from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I bet you had a lovely evening. Ma says MS should be her TVBF as he's nearer her age than ours! :-)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photo of the Black Rustic covered in dew-a very dark and handsome moth. Lovely caterpillar and beetle creatures. I do like the strands of the brocade visualisation. A cracking name Red-Line Quaker-the markings remind me of a baby bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the baby bird. I love Black Rustics- so unlike many of the other moths. Darkly mysterious. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x