Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Marvellous Magical Moths And A Reiki Session

Raining here, but only just started so mercifully I was able to put the Moth Box out last night. Interesting results: the colder weather is definitely telling, with only 54 moths in the box of 21 species and no new ones at all :-(

Still, a nice haul with some Very Pretty Ones, a selection of which I shall now share with you...



 OK, so from this angle maybe "pretty" isn't the word that springs immediately to mind. This is a Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing, who, believe it or not, is strikingly marked when seen from the top. Just happens to look a bit gormless from the front.

 Same moth from a more flattering angle. Note the stripy tights. I may have to get a pair like that for winter myself...

Oh dear. I'm not doing much to convince you on the pretty front am I? I love the white eyebrows and the punk-rocker hair do. Here he is from a better angle...

Yes! It's our old friend, the rather splendid Frosted Orange

And just in case you haven't had enough Frosted Oranges, here he is from the side as well

More orange moths (in keeping with the season), this one a Centre-Barred Sallow

And this one is a Sallow (without the centre-bar)

Sallow, side-view

Continuing the orange theme (sort of), here is a Lesser Yellow Underwing, flashing the distinctive petticoats that give these moths their name. Whatever happened to petticoats? I love the idea of them. I would get one, were it not for the fact that I don't think they are really designed to go with jeans and I might therefore look a bit ridiculous in it. Incidentally, my sister refuses to wear yellow in any form ever since she fell off her pony and broke her leg when she ten (see this post). She was wearing yellow pants at the time, and I've always thought her loathing of yellow as a result a tad harsh, I mean, she was also wearing lots of other colours too so I have no idea why the yellow pants in particular were singled out. I must ask her.
Getting on with the moths in the meantime...

This one is a Feathered Gothic. New to the box over the last 2-3 weeks, I think they are beautiful. 

Ermmmm...? Any suggestions as to this one's name? (not Clive, Denise)

 I know what this one is: it's a faded Green Carpet and in real life is extremely tiny wee with a wingspan of about 10mm. Pretty, no?

The imaginatively named Snout, who has lovely markings nonetheless.

White Point (how do they come up with these names?)

Rosy Rustic (how marvellous if that was your real name? You know just what kind of girl at school she would be too.)

 And finally, the delicate and ethereal Light Emerald, of whom there were three in the box in various stages of perfection, (or falling-apartness, depending on your view).

I'm now up to 286 moth species for 2013, tantalisingly close to my target of 300, but will I make it?

The only other thing of merit I've done today is go and have a Reiki session with my friend Amanda, who has recently learned the original Japanese form. It was an interesting experience, and at the risk of losing those among you who consider this sort of thing a bit airy-fairy, I did see some interesting colours when she started working (yellow turning to purple turning to green), felt warmth spread through me and tingles in my head and toes, and found my thoughts eventually sorting through some knotted things that needed sorting through, so all in all it was a good and interesting session and one I expect I will repeat.

Wishing you all a peaceful evening. We have several hundred University Challenge episodes recorded on the digibox to wade through here which we will doubtless resume battling through this evening. M drives me mad by shouting out the answers before the question has finished regardless of whether he actually knows them or not, just so I don't get a chance to have a go. Or by shouting "planck" or "dostoevsky" in the belief that they're bound to be the answer some time.
Our usual division of correctness is that he gets all the impossibly complex (and for that read stupid and pointless) maths and science questions (eg: what's the square root of the universe if p=9 and z=a tangerine and a monkey was playing the banjo at the time to an audience of millipeeds) right, while I know a smattering of the more obscure ones to do with parts of the body no sane person has ever heard of and never needs to know the name for, and the identities of various heroines from dubious literary canon works. 
You can imagine what the atmosphere in our house is like during the half hour the programme is on. And Paxman doesn't help by raising his eyebrows in particularly patronising incredulity when a contestant has a reasonable stab at a question no-one's ever heard of before and gets it wrong. Perhaps I'll get the fabled crochet blanket out  and blow the dust off it and do that instead.

CT :-)










 

20 comments:

  1. I will never tire of your Frosted Oranges, especially as I have yet to trap one of these autumnal beauties :-) I like the head shots and I think they are quite cute when seen up close, indeed almost as handsome as my spiders ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you getting one before too long.
      I had another look at your spider and have decided it's the legs I don't like. Sometimes, I imagine the moths sitting on my hand without wings but I have to stop because that makes them far too spiderish and I want to run away screaming :-)

      Delete
  2. Well, I am glad we aren't the only ones who shout at University Challenge. We start off with all good intentions of being intellectual and demonstrating the obvious talents of our enormous brains, but invariably end up shouting random answers and crossing our fingers for the law of averages to occur. (However, I was on good form last night, especially in the herb identification round where I beat Oxford and Cambridge into a cocked hat...ECHINACEA!)

    Of course that moth isn't Clive. Good grief, woman - don't you recognise a Maurice when you see one? (Pronounced after the French persuasion, s'il vous plait.)

    Glad you enjoyed the Reiki. I keep humming and aahhing about doing a Reiki degree course, but I am experiencing bizarre feelings of selfishness at the moment, so may need to wait until I am feeling better disposed towards mankind. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe it- we've just watched an episode and one of the answers was Planck, and M missed it!!!!! VERY funny- he is furious. He's been shouting Planck for years and when the moment came he didn't shout "Planck!".

      The moth being French would explain why I couldn't find him in any of my books. Thanks for the tip D :-)

      Hmm, would this be one of those courses that means you can call yourself "master" after a handful of weekends? I am inherently dubious about those. Amanda's version isn't a masterish one plus involves hands-on- she was very pleased with the whole learning experience. I can find out more for you if you'd like me to? x

      Delete
    2. That is very kind of you - thank you x

      Delete
    3. Have left you a message on your blog x

      Delete
    4. Have responded to message. Also, glad message was not one of the kind the local pigeons leave on the patio.

      Delete
  3. The eyes on the at first one are absolutely amazing. Interesting how much more muted the colours are at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the macro on the camera has been fantastic for looking at moth eyes, which are usually too diddy to see otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ct I love looking at your moth finds. that 1st shot is amazing and I loved the Frosted Orange one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :-)

      Thanks- I'm so pleased you enjoyed them. As you know I am rather fond of moths so it's nice to hear others like looking at them too.

      Delete
  5. Great selection of moths again CT - quite a few there I have never caught!! Had a look at Hedge Rustic and think you might be right :)

    Good luck with the crocheting - might try and find a pattern for fingerless gloves - would make a change from scarves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had a hedge rustic either- super looking moth (in the brown range). The gloves were dead easy- and that's coming from someone who is not a knitting/ crocheting expert by any stretch of the imagination! :-)

      Delete
  6. The Frosted Orange is a beautiful moth and interesting to see they are changing colour with the seasons. I have a photo of a moth to post for you later. I looked at my sewing machine and thought how about how I'll be working on it during the winter months. It's nice to have winter and summer hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, exciting- hope I know what moth it is!

      What sort of stuff do you make with the sewing machine? My grandmother was an amazing seamstress, sadly I have not inherited her natural talent :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm not a natural sewer, but manage. I want to make bunting for the garden for next year. Cushion covers, bed throws-which I just make from remnants (we have a great shop called the Hessian Company and they sell terrific branded materials for very little money). I'll get some photos for you in another post. I am about to attempt blinds for my conservatory...I may have taken on too much here, but I absolutely refuse to pay thousands of pounds for blinds which will get covered in spiders and fly poo and cobwebs and cant be taken down and washed!

      Delete
  7. I found some interesting caterpillar people on my volunteering adventures today... the photos were on my phone though, so not great.

    My mum and I love watching Uni Chall and having a little comp to see who gets the most correct answers! She gets the arty ones, we both get the sciencey ones and I occasionally get a maths one. Buuuut now we miss it because we take Bracken to training on a Monday and don't have this new fangled recording facility. Must remember to watch the repeat on a Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing the pillars are still about considering the season isn't it?

      Hope Bracken's training goes well. He will, I am sure, be better than Ted, who largely comes back if he feels like it :-)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x