Friday, 12 July 2013

The Sparrows Have Fledged and What Is That Crane Doing?

Friday again.

The Second Batch of Sparrow Children have fledged. Cleo brought one into her room, but because she is a mouse person rather than a bird person left it whole and unharmed. I'm assuming she was responsible, but frankly if those children are anything like their mother the baby could well have hopped through the cat flap herself.

The Sparrow Child was making a right old racket and I wish I'd had the camera so I could show you the picture of chirruping fledgling sitting jauntily atop Cleo's wooden box with Cleo sitting purring inside it taking no notice whatsoever of the ready meal perched above.

After mush scrabbling and wading through welly boots, behind bins and even (horror of horrors) COB WEBS, I finally managed to retrieve the small feathery person, who was still shouting at the top of her voice, and return her to the garden. I whistled for her mother who (rather surprisingly because she usually ignores me completely), appeared, flew over and gave her youngster a brief once over before flying off again and leaving her child in the hedge under the supervision of one of her daughters from the previous batch.

Cleo came out and watched the whole thing with a disinterested air from her sunbathing spot on the wall. This is the same spot Samantha Helvetica used to use which rather amuses me. I have a mental image of grass snake and cat lying stretched out together catching the rays. Cleo has to be careful of the sun because her nose and ears are pink.



Ted, meanwhile, has been driving me mad all week with his squeaky whiny squirrel obsession. It got so bad I've had to dismantle the front garden bird feeders and reassemble them in the back garden where he can't see the squirrels. Poppet (my one legged dunnock) is not at all happy with me about this because it means she has to fly further to get her mid-morning snack, but frankly it was either that or refer Ted to therapy.

It's worked anyway because he has returned to his usual zen-like state of calm. 


And the squirrels aren't bothered- they've just shifted into the back garden as evidenced by this pic of the Squirrel's Child taken this morning...


Ma found a nest which we brought home, but Who Does It Belong To...?


I finally managed to take a photo of a butterfly AT HOME, except I don't know what it is because it wouldn't open its wings.


An Enormous And Frightening crane has appeared, working on the neighbours building works. I don't like the way it swings about dangerously close to my clinic. I expect it to swoop down like some giant metal bird and lift the roof off at any moment....


Incidentally, please excuse the pants hanging on the washing line in this photo. They are Not A Pretty Sight, being rather old and bedraggled, but there was no other way to take the photo.

The garden is blooming, if in need of daily watering. The Everlasting Sweet Peas are trumping their more scented but slower appearing cousins...


The greenhouse is even more fit to burst than it was the last time I took a pic...


The roses in the hedge are looking lovely....

 
 And the fuschias have appeared....


The moth box was out last night, thankfully producing fewer moths than on Tues, although L was nearly late for school because, although I got up at 6.45 I get so engrossed in the moths I didn't notice the time slipping past until M appeared and said "you do know it's 8 o'clock don't you?"
"Yikes!" I yelled, and zoomed off up two flights of stairs to drag my recalcitrant semi-teen out of his bed and off to school. 
"Not only have they made me late for school, but the whole house is full of moths!" he grumbled, which was a fair point (not the making him late bit because he has an alarm in his radio he just can't be bothered to set it) but the house being full part- they were fluttering about the breakfast room and the ceiling did look as if it had been redecorated with wings. There was also a huge Poplar Hawk swinging sedately on the cord that sorts out the blinds, something that seems normal to me but probably doesn't happen in many households on the whole....


L was not impressed, but I was happy because the box had pulled in what will, I think, be one of my all time favourite moths - a Large Emerald. Isn't she beautiful?


Happy Days!

Have a good weekend all.

CT x

17 comments:

  1. I was under assault myself last night. Having remembered to shut the window (this time) I heard a loud tapping and there was the biggest, hugest moth I ever did see.. difficult to see colours in the dark, but it must have been two inches across. And fat. Very fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, sounds like a hawk moth of some sort to me. They are the big daddies of the moth world and amazing to see. Sounds like you're in a good moth spot there ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great stuff as per :) I am going to suggest that the butterfly is perhaps a comma?! But someone more knowledgeable might have a better idea :) and phwoaaarr that large emerald moth is stunning! Ted looks very relaxed there... hard life being a dog ey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good, I like the comma thought. Having just googled it I think you might be right, thanks Lou :-)

      Ted has asked me to inquire as to how Bracken is feeling today? He hopes he is more himself and comfortable.

      I LOVE the Emerald, it took my breath away when I saw it sitting on a plant pot this morning :-)

      Delete
    2. I also saw my first comma yesterday, and I managed to get close enough to see the little white comma mark on its underwing :)

      Bracken has asked me to say that he is feeling much better and no longer has to wear his silly cone and is allowed to run off the lead now too. He managed to find the stinkiest ditch possible today to roll around in so had to have a sponge bath when we returned!

      Delete
  3. The Emerald moth looks incredible. Oh dear to your late start this morning! Ted looks much more relaxed now! Have a great weekend.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the most gorgeous colour, I haven't been able to stop looking at it all day (it's been sitting on my pot of pens!).
      Have a lovely weekend too x

      Delete
  4. The Emerald is amazing. The crane is definitely a worry, while the nest is a thing of absolute beauty - perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a gorgeous looking moth I'm so pleased it came to the box.

      Hopefully the crane will be gone soon :-)

      Nests are amazing things aren't they? Birds are so clever. Have a lovely weekend x

      Delete
  5. HI CT Yes, birds nest are wonderfully made and each species builds a different sort but perfect for their needs. The Sweet Pea and Rose are lovely and the Emerald Moth exquisite. Have a great weekend. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :-)

      I would like to know more about nests, another thing on my list to study! It's a gorgeous time of year for flowers (and moths). Have a lovely weekend too. CT :-)

      Delete
  6. The Emerald is gorgeous :) Your garden butterfly is a comma - well done on getting a photo :) Hope the crane goes soon - wouldn't like that swinging near my garden :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ID- Lou had suggested the same, I'm very grateful to have some butterfly experts helping out :-) There are more fluttery types around today so I'm hoping for some more snaps.

      Delete
  7. I love the Poplar Moth hanging onto the cord, I'd be delighted if it were my house! I've never seen a Large Emerald, it is beautiful. Now I didn't notice the pants on the washing line until you told me they were there...but dont worry I didn't look :) Glad things are quieter with Teddy and the squirrels-dogs can get so obsessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty cool having a poplar hawk gently swinging on the blind cord too, sadly L does not share my passion for our furry night-time friends! The Large Emerald could easily be mistaken for a butterfly and proves how colourful moths can be. Have a great weekend, CT x

      Delete
  8. I'm glad the Sparrows are all doing well and that Ted is untroubled by squirrels once again. The Emerald Moth is beautiful and that crane does look huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy :-)

      After a slow start all the garden birds are doing well with their babies. It's quiet in the garden at the mo though- I think they're all having a rest!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x