Tuesday, 9 July 2013

High Drama Involving Over-Turned Tractors, A Trapped Step Father And An Air Ambulance Trip To Hospital

Friday last was my step father's birthday. I won't reveal his exact age, but I'm forty and he's ten years older than ma so you'll get some picture of his longevity. He is a very fit and active man who not long ago built a two-seater airplane in the back garden (as you do) which he flies around the country and sometimes over to France. In the past he was a glider pilot and recently he purchased an old tractor which he uses for working in the fields. M and I are blessed with active parents- M's father was busy pogo-sticking with his grandchildren at the age of 80. We had a giggle imagining the conversation with the hospital if he'd fallen off and hurt himself.

Anyway, my step father is likewise a busy human being who does not let things stop him or indeed slow him down very much.

As well as Friday being his birthday, Sunday was also their wedding anniversary and they had a weekend of gorgeous things planned to celebrate both events. Imagine my horror therefore, when late Friday afternoon I received a call from Ma which started with the words "P's alright but he's had a nasty accident...."

I went cold, as you do when you hear those kinds of words. The rest of the conversation went something like this: Me: "What on earth's happened?" Ma: "The tractor turned over and fell on him and he was trapped beneath it. Luckily he managed to jump mostly clear but it fell on his leg. The air ambulance has taken him to hospital. He's got a 45 degree break to both the bones in his lower leg and they think he'll need an operation to pin it all back together."

I could not believe it. I'd only spoken to her that morning and they were having a lovely day and looking forward so much to the weekend.

FIVE ambulances and the helicopter had turned out, I guess because these kind of accidents are listed as "agricultural" which could mean all kinds of horrors, and you don't mess around waiting to see how bad it is before deploying help.

Ma was full of praise for our amazing emergency services who really worked so very hard to get him out in one piece, to make him comfortable, to assess the damage, to administer necessary on site treatment, reassure him and then get him to hospital as quickly as possible. I want to echo that sentiment and add my thanks. They are incredible people- brave, efficient. stoic, thorough, kind, good humoured. Thanks to them P was OK and is now recuperating in hospital and we hope he'll be home this week.

I ought also to say that my step father is an amazingly resilient human being with a cheerful outlook on life, as you will see from the pics below where he is smiling while his leg is still pinned beneath the overturned tractor. I hope that this positive outlook as well as his fitness will aid a speedy recovery. These days breaks are no longer plastered, which looks weird and makes me feel a teeny bit squeamish, and believe it or not he is already flexing and using the damaged leg! Ma was incredibly resilient too- it must have been awful for her but she held it together so well and I am very proud of her. Dougal (Ted's best Westie pal whom he saw this morning) is pining for his dad and spending much of his day lying prostrate and inconsolable outside the door to P's study, so no doubt he will be very relieved when his dad is home.
L is telling everyone at school about Papa's tale of bravery in the face of adversity, and the dramatic air-lift rush to hospital in a helicopter which ma somehow had the presence of mind to film on her phone so the grandchildren could see it, and we have all oohed and ahhed suitably over the video of the air ambulance taking off. It's been a very dramatic few days, but we hope everything will now start to settle down and get slowly back to normal.

I think the biggest problem will be how to keep P quiet when he does come home. The hospital has said it'll be a four month healing and recovery process, but I very much doubt he'll be a patient patient for that length of time: she could have her hands full!

Here are some pics of the dramatic tale as it unfolded. Apologies for the sideways ones. I don't know what happened there, they were all the right way up when I saved them!.









On an entirely different subject, the new moth box is supposed to be arriving some time today. I am very excited and looking forward to putting it out tonight as this is perfect moth weather :-)

22 comments:

  1. Best blogging wishes to the patient! I owe my life to the air ambulance so I can't praise them enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass them on Em thank you :-)

      It is an amazing service. I know they regularly get called out to horse-related accidents in the forest here. Thank goodness for them.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! Sending best wishes to your clearly life-go-getting step-father and ma for a successful recovery and that by Christmas he is recovered enough to be up a ladder crowning the tree with its star.

    I often think that paramedics are the unsung heroes of the emergency services.

    Wishing you a quiet and peaceful and accident-free moth watch this evening x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear :-)

      The new moth box is very smart. I expect I won't sleep tonight...

      Delete
    2. Crumbs....I didn't realise you had to SLEEP in it! Like a mothavan?! Or, if you are into the twilight zone, a sarmothagus!!

      Delete
    3. It's almost big enough to sleep in!!! But the light it emits is way too bright for restful snoozing, unless you wear a fetching eye coverer-upper

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a rather traumatic day. I hope you will all recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things can happen so darn quickly, that's the shocking part.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad your step-father is recovering OK. Please pass on my best wishes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness CT. Glad all is well and hope that your step father will take heed and recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been on the computer for a couple of hours and was just about to go to bed.. when I noticed that I'd left the window open. My haul is trillions of tiny insects (crawling over the ceiling as I write), four Daddy Long Legs and two moths. One has beautiful green wings, white on the outside and has been crawling over my hand.. wonderful! The other is orange with black markings. Both small, 2.5cm wingspan. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green one's likely to be an emerald, probably a common emerald, not sure on the other one there are a number it could be depending on wing shape- did you get a pic at all?
      Hark at me, sounding like the moth expert!

      This warm weather is fab for insects.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your stepfather's accident. Do hope he's out of hospital soon. What a shock for you all - hope you all recover from the trauma soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR :-)

      Just off to bring him home so they're obviously happy at the hosp with his progress. What a drama! CT x

      Delete
  8. What a day for you all ... glad that he is ok and on the mend.
    I had a beautiful moth land on my hand last night - I got all excited as I'd never seen one before, but it turns out to be a common-to-our-area Scarlet Tiger moth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VJ :-)

      I would have been REALLY excited at a Scarlet Tiger too- I've yet to see one here. And how lovely he/she landed on your hand.

      ENORMOUS quantities of moths last night from the new box- I've been up since 6.30am working to ID them all and still haven't quite got there and it's after 2pm!! CT x

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear about your step father's accident.I hope he makes a good recovery now he is back home.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. He's home safe and sound- the best place for recovery.

      Delete
  10. Goodness, I do hope you all recover quickly from this accident, especially your stepfather! I look forward to seeing what your moth trap brings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou :-)

      It has been an odd week but hopefully things will start to settle down again now.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x