Thursday, 13 June 2013

Swanky New Wellies and What To Do If You Are A Squirrel In The Rain

As mentioned yesterday my old Huntress wellies have finally given up the ghost after about fifteen years of faithful service. I live in my wellies so they have done well and not having a leak-proof pair for the last few days has made me grumpy. Time therefore to furnish myself with a new pair but OH MY GOODNESS how the welly industry has changed in those fifteen years. I didn't know there could be that many variations of what is basically a tube of rubber with a hollow foot-shape at one end. The choice (and price tags) were baffling.

I promise you I tried on every single variation that Scats had to offer, hoping that the £9.50 pair would somehow prove to be more comfortable than the £160 pair. Sadly not, so after much deliberation (which involved repeated pacing of the clothes isles wearing odd pairs of boots in order to compare the comfort factor of one with another while L trotted along behind me saying things like "how long does it take to buy a pair of wellies mum?" and, "you've been here ages") I finally succumbed to the most expensive pair in the shop. Typical. For that price I'd at least expected gold plating or a welly bag encrusted with jewels, but no. Natural Rubber and Neoprene. They do, at least, feel like slippers, which is something, and they also boast a label that promises "anti-fatigue" when you wear them. Perhaps this explains the exorbitant price- I will never again get tired whilst out walking in them, or, when I do get tired they will take over and do the walking for me.

Because of their high expense I thought they deserved to be shown off from a variety of angles so you can assess them properly. What do you think? M thinks I have officially gone cuckoo. It was incomprehensible enough for him when I spent £120 on a pair of slinky heels from LK Bennett, so the idea of me returning the lighter by £160 and the heavier by a pair of wellies from Scats of all places completely mystified him.




I have to say I don't think they look like they cost £160, but perhaps this is the reality of modern welly chic.

Right, on to more sensible things.

It rained and rained and rained here yesterday so everyone in the garden got very soggy indeed. They were still out on the feeders though and I was pleased to see that my homemade coconut halves are going down well, particularly with the nuthatches and woodpeckers (still no sign of their children though). 

The goldfinches have returned to their tray feeder (minus their child). 


The Sparrow Girls are doing well and are becoming more adept at their flying, and Mr and Mrs S are increasingly leaving them to their own devices.

 

 We've also had a couple of visits from this very shy Stock Dove, who I think is rather beautiful.



But I think the "Cleverest Creature In The Garden" award this week surely must go to our resident squirrel, who, during the worst of yesterday's downpours, worked out that if he/she sat inside the bird table he/she could avoid the ravages of the rain and eat away quite happily. Top marks squirrel.





Right-o, I'm off to Bournemouth now to see my friend and fellow-healer Mandy to have my neck stretched, manipulated and generally put back in. I shall stop feeling faint and be back to bending over the pond again before you know it.

Have a good day all,

CT x
 

21 comments:

  1. My mum bought me a pair of Le Chameau wellies eight years ago which cost about £120 at the time. Having lived with them for so long now, I have to admit she was right about buying quality. I can get through a pair of Hunters in two years so, totting up what that would have cost and the difference in comfort and warmth, they were a bargain. I've never suffered the hell of cold welly feet in them and will never go back to cheap ones, even if it means saving up for a while when the Le Chameau ones look like they're on their way out! Yours will pay dividends too I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my thinking also. My friend Mrs M has some expensive ones (which I teased her about at the time) but she's been v pleased with them. I figure they will pay for themselves over time (much time) :-)

      Delete
  2. You're not actually going to WEAR them, are you? And get them covered in mud and other assorted countryside poo??

    They need framing and hanging in the hallway as a trophy for all to see!

    But if you insist on wearing them, may you have many foot-dry happy welly yomping years ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be wearing them all the time, including in bed, to justify the purchase. M will be thrilled.

      Delete
    2. I'll bet! Lends a whole new meaning to the idea of rubber wear, doesn't it?!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine spending that sort of money on footwear!! My old green wellies have served me well for years, can't remember the price but less than twenty pounds, maybe less than fifteen. With a pair of thick socks over ordinary socks they're fine, only really need the thicker socks because smallest size I could get was 3 and I only take 2....and no, I'm not a 2ft sized pixie just average but with minuscule feet which makes shopping for footwear an utter nightmare unless I want something pink and sparkly or adorned with teddy bears, Thomas the Tank Engine or similar... ;-) Must admit yours do look very smart though :-)

    Your clever squirrel made me laugh, great captures of it too! I also loved the previous post which made me laugh out loud and read them three times. Hope the rest of the week has seen less mishaps :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of you in pink princess sparkly shoes or Thomas the Tank footwear! I know, I think I have gone mad spending that much on wellies. It must have been the reduced blood supply to the brain from the squished neck :-0

      Delete
  4. Great pair of Wellies CT, should last a long time.
    You get what you pay for and these are quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly feel it Roy- like wearing slippers. Shame I'll be paying them off for the next decade! :-)

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your new wellies. Something I bought since moving here as I never really needed them before! Squirrel messing..is what my hubby calls it...they are fun to watch and great photos too. Thanks for the info on the stock dove, yes I think she might be, as she and her mate are very shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us country girls can't do without our wellies Suze. Hopefully you'll have baby stock doves somewhere if you've got a Mr and Mrs... :-)

      Delete
  6. Ah the joys of buying wellies :-) Luckily my trusty pair of cheapo Dunlops have been going strong for many years despite the fact I seem to spend well over half of the year in them and I dread the day when they fail as the price of decent boots is eye-watering :-)

    Nice to see all the birdlife & wildlife in your garden again, particularly the pretty Stock Dove :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start saving now David, if my experience this week is anything to go by! :-)

      Delete
  7. You won't regret the purchase I'm sure. Spread the cost over 15 years!

    There were THREE squirrels on the bird table this evening. I'm tempted to get one of those circular fat ball feeders and put it under the twirler...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you chosen a new pair yourself yet Jess?

      A circular feeder under the twirler... what could possibly go wrong...? :-)

      Delete
  8. I loved the different views of your wellies hopefully it will be a long time before you have wet feet again! The squirrel photos are amazing! Is Teddy interested in the squirrels? I love the photo of the pigeon spotting club!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy would be a founder member of any club dedicated to watching and indeed chasing after and yipping at squirrels. He is obsessed with them and often forgets he is a westie and can't climb trees. Does Daisy have the same habit? CT x

      Delete
  9. Love your new wellies :) I make do with a pair (well actually have two pairs!!) of cheap green Dunlops! Although must admit after walking in them for 2 hours I do develop a hobble!

    Love the squirrel photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where they get you. I tried the cheapo ones on and my feet felt squished and the floor felt hard when compared to the soft and glove like hideously expensive versions. Ho hum. I have now christened them, so there is no going back....! :-)

      Delete
  10. I seem to live in wellies, too and I go for long walks in them so good, comfortable ones are so important. If the cheap ones didn't fit well then sometimes you just have to spend the money!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x