Monday, 17 June 2013

Nymphs in The Pond and Baby Birds Galore

Since Mandy kindly sorted my neck out I am back to scrutinising the depths of our pond without fear of falling in. It is teeming with life. There seems to have been a population explosion in the last week with beetles, baby snails and these creatures, which I am guessing are nymphs but I'm not sure which types of nymph they are, abounding. Damsels have three points to the tail and these seem to have only two, dragons have a different tail end, so I'm a bit stuck, can't find them in my excellent new book The Collins Complete Guide to Insects, or indeed on the internet. Any thoughts? I hope they aren't anything unsavoury, although I suppose everything has its place and serves its purpose.




There are a number of baby birds in the garden now. At long last I have seen the Robin's Child, which pleases me no end, and the Blue Tits and Great Tits also have extremely noisy children who sit in the Twisted Willow and squeak half the day long. 

The Robin's Child
 


The Great Tit's and their Child (in middle of feeder)


Love mum or dad taking off in the background to the left in this shot


The Great Tit's Child will ask anyone to feed him, including the Blue Tits who landed on the feeder at the same time!


A Bald Headed Blue Tit.
Lord only knows what happened here.


The Mice are getting braver...
Out in Daylight yesterday...
 


Stage Two of Squirrel Invasion has begun.
They have discovered the feeders on the front garden beside the Hen House. Teddy has wizard ears and can hear the faintest whisper of their little feet even when he is indoors, which leads him to rush in and sit at my feet pointedly staring at me and whining and grumbling insistently until I let him out. They drive him batty. He is desperate to form the "Squirrel Hunters Club", but as Dougal has gone home it'll be a club of one unless he can persuade doggy chums Oscar and Bramble to join.


Now that the macro is working on the camera I'm taking close ups of everything! The purple lupins are looking good....


Unfortunately, greenfly have got to the pinks...
Yuk! 


Far nicer to end on the lovely Goldfinches (who are back in the garden but still hiding their child away somewhere secretive)



My application has gone in for the BSc in Ecology and Conservation Management starting this Sept. If I get in you have approximately two and half months before I start boring the pants off you with all the new things I am learning. I should make your break for freedom now!

M is home for a week so posts may be thinner on the ground than usual. We're planning on taking advantage of the lack of grumbling small people to visit old houses and do lots of walking through our lovely June countryside (and indulge in a few pub lunches along the way....).

I hope your week has started well.
Until next time,

CT x

16 comments:

  1. The squirrels are driving me batty too.. they are forever upsetting the twirler, so I have to go out in the rain to reset it. It is deliberate, I know. Perhaps I should have a Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hire him out at very reasonable rates, although we do require the hirer takes out indemnity insurance against Flower Bed Destruction, because he is no respecter of flowers if a squirrel happens to run through them.

      Delete
  2. Ah...pond life...who knows what strange and undiscovered creatures lie within? Loving the baby birdies - the nest box at our allotment had blue tits in this year, but they have all gone on their way now. And we have goldfinches in the laurel tree but like you, have no idea what Mum and Dad have done with the babies. We can hear them, just can't see them.

    Good luck with the BSc application! I am a big fan of life-long learning. Are you going to a physical university or is it distance learning? Either way, I bet you can't wait to get stuck into all those lovely books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, a physical, actual, real university. It's twenty years since I did my degree.... Should be fun!

      Delete
  3. Ted has a recruit to his squirrel club, I mentioned squirrels and Daisy took a close look at your photo! We only have one visiting our garden but she goes mad too. Love your macro images.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be a Westie thing Sarah. Ted says Daisy is most welcome to join the Squirrel Hunters Club, he will be glad of the company. How is your macro photography progressing? :-)

      Delete
  4. Those greenfly are quite disgusting close up! Beautiful Goldfinch picture. Fingers crossed for your application. I do admire you as, in theory, I'd love to study again, but the reality is I just don't have the time. Good on you and I'm sure you will be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely disgusting and they have destroyed the pink lupins :-(
      Thanks for the encouragement re the studies. It is slightly daunting but more exciting than anything else. It is a perfect subject for me.

      Delete
  5. HI CT Couldn't find your name! I just came upon your blog when I was reading your comments to left to David this morning adn have now joined yours. Perhaps sometime you might like t look at mine. www.birdingforpleasure.blogspot.com Loved the young birds and Macro shots. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :-) Thanks for the comment, the follow and the link to your blog which I will definitely have a look at :-)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos, especially of the fledglings. I love to hear them all in the hedges pestering parents for food at this time of year. Poor Teddy, driven mad by those squirrels; this is the problem with sharp ears! And hope all goes well with your application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big relief re all the baby birds Wendy, after a slow start they're all coming good now. Ted has had a face clip today so he can now see the squirrels as well as hear them! Thanks for the good wishes re the app, just hoping they have a place for me for this year...

      Delete
  7. Students make me laugh-sorry for any of you who have kids at Uni, but wearing flip-flops in the middle of winter and other crazy clothes/hair ideas! Oh it's good to be young :) Good luck with your application. Love the macro photos and the Goldfinch images. Poor bald Blue Tit. Don't know what those pond creatures are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it's a Great Diving Beetle nymph. From one of my very ancient books too!

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos - not sure about the nymph id although it looks as though you've found the answer now!

    Its great seeing all the young birds in the garden and around the feeders.

    Good luck with your application - sounds a wonderful degree to take :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how well-stocked the pond has become in such a short time. A pond skater arrived today :-)
      Thanks for the good luck- I am really looking forward to studying such a fascinating subject.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x