Thursday, 6 June 2013

Caught in the Act and the Sparrows' New Des Res Arrives




Arriving home from the school run this morning I encountered this little fellow sitting happily on the bird feeder enjoying the sun. Squirrels are not a huge problem for us, we have one who only makes a sporadic appearances so it's always rather nice to see him/ her. I wouldn't want more and I do limit the amount of time he is present on the feeder. In fact, the feeder was advertised as squirrel proof....


Clearly not. Some people have no respect for advertising.


After a few minutes I deployed our fail-safe squirrel deterrent measure (Teddy) and the squirrel sensibly legged it for the oak tree next door.

I wrote a few days ago about how the sparrows were nesting in the eaves above J's window. Sadly something has happened to the nest because the babies are no more. M suspects a rat and I'm sure he's right, so to that end I have purchased Mr and Mrs Sparrow a brand spanking new and uber posh Sparrow Des Res, known as a "Sparrow Terrace" (but I'm thinking of changing the name so any suggestions would be welcome). It has three houses inside it, and to be honest it is considerably larger and heavier than I had expected.

I had a chat with them both a few evenings ago when they were sitting together on the roof and asked them what they were planning to do about re-nesting. Mr S said they would just re-use the old nest of course, given how long it had taken them to peck out the hole, but Mrs S, with whom I have a close relationship (something to do with her flying in front of my nose most days and expecting me to get out of her way), tilted her head at me and looked dubious about that plan. I said I would buy them a new house which could go on the wall and would therefore be relatively safe from predators.

Goodness knows whether they'll use it, but they do look about ready to start nesting again so M (who left at the crack of dawn for a meeting in London this morning) will be up the ladder this evening when he gets back fixing the new terrace on the wall. He doesn't know this yet. After that we'll keep all out fingers and toes crossed for a safe nesting, egg laying, hatching and fledging of baby sparrows.





The Green Finches were back this morning- still two boys and a girl. They look so well I'm not convinced they've got babies. Everyone else in the parent department is looking shattered and bedraggled. I only managed a pic of one of the boys before they all took off. Lovely bird isn't he? That plumage is really beautiful.

 
The only other bird-worthy note I have to add is that the pigeons have decided against the wisteria nest for some reason this year and instead have plumped for a new one in the beech hedge. Teddy does leap about barking at them when they are in the other one so perhaps they are hoping the new setting will be  quieter. Dougal has already discovered it and sits on the lawn staring at the hedge, but Teddy doesn't seem to have noticed so far. Let's hope it stays like that.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the sparrows nest, I'm sure they'll love the new des res though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'm not sure what they'll make of it if they get neighbours in the two other compartments!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know lots of people consider them vermin but I'm rather attached to our squirrel. Naughty is a word that seems to fit the greys perfectly! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great pics of the squirrel working out how to get the food. I love the way it's hanging on by its feet. That is very sad about the sparrows, I hope they're successful in their smart new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endlessly inventive Squirrels I always think. Good news about the sparrows- they have at least one baby in the hedge, must have fledged without me noticing. Phew!

      Delete
  4. So sad to hear about the House Sparrow's nest but love the des res idea :) We still get the occasional nest amongst the eaves in our roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have missed the fledging RR because they have at least one baby in the hedge. HUGE relief, hoping the new abode now gets used by someone else!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x