Friday, 3 May 2013

Walking among bluebells...

Bluebell woods have to be some of the loveliest places to roam through. There are a number near us so on Wednesday I met my friend Hilary and her dog Bramble and we set off for a two hour walk through the woods and fields and along the lanes, which are just starting to wear their lush May finery. The sun shone, the birds sang, the dogs ran happily along the paths and overhead the swallows chattered as they cleaved through the sky while hawthorn blossom burst creamily on the branches. 








I think these are wild irises in the photo below. Hadn't expected to find them growing in the middle of a wood.
 

 And this is a charcoal burner. Strange to think that at one time these would have been a very common sight in our woodlands, now they are remarkable because they are unusual.

Deer slots
 
  
Wild Bear tracks (otherwise known as Teddy)








  
Wood Anemone and Celandine




There were two tired dogs and two equally tired humans who had well and truly earnt their lunches by the time we got home. I felt entitled to a post-lunch ice cream, safe in the  knowledge that after all that walking it couldn't possibly be a "second on the lips a lifetime on the hips" moment. Suffice to say my legs ached suitably the next day, but I can't wait to go back next week and see how much more the bluebells have come on.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, wonderful pictures CT.
    But your bluebells are so ahead of here.. we have them in the woods but so far little sign of flower buds, let alone the haze of blue..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really starting to be obvious here- all along the banks etc. Gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Spectacular photos! I would have loved to join you (and helped you with the ice-cream! Well done - you had earned it!) Obviously it was a day with sun and I guess warmth. It is in springtime when one is amazed how many different plants appear and blossom! Thanks for your comment on my blog - it makes me happy! I would like to sign in as a follower on your blog but as I see you have not added that gadget. I shall add you on my blog list and visit again! Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely, sunny walk CT and lovely photos too. So nice to see the Bluebells. There is nothing quite like an English Bluebell wood in springtime! It looked like the dogs were having a wonderful time too. I loved the photo of Ted with the Bluebells...I spied mud on a certain white coat I think ;-)

      No probs at all regarding 'Val' it made me laugh because when I first read it I kept looking at the word and thinking what's a val, what does that mean... before it dawned on me ;-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Christa,
      Thanks for your kind comment and please do visit again. I enjoyed the photos on your blog- it looks a beautiful place to live. I'll send you a virtual ice cream for you to enjoy there!

      SB- Yes, impossible to walk Teddy without mud appearing somewhere on him! I agree about Bluebell woods in Spring, finally the season seems to have arrived. Re "Val" I have a brain like a total sieve so I'd probably better stick to SB from now on! CT x

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a perfect walk! A sunny day in a bluebell wood is wonderful. I agree that once isn't enough to see them, as they aren't out for very long I think you have to make the most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue is a healing colour too so that vibration is good for all of us (muddy dogs included!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful walk through the woods and bluebells, we must do that too before they are all over there is nothing quite like it!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just about coming into their best here now Sarah and typically I've come down with a virus which has me bed ridden! Hoping to get out later in the week. CT x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x