Thursday, 16 May 2013

Our Cuckoo changes his tune

A re-write of this post because I have been totally unable to upload the video I shot of the cuckoo and the robin. No idea why. I'll keep trying and add it later if I can get it to work.

 I don't know about the rest of you but our cuckoos have already started to "change their tune" which I thought, as per the song, didn't happen until June? I've heard several "cuck-cuck-coos" going on. Is it just me or do they sound very surprised indeed when that noise pops out of their beaks? It's very funny to listen to, but I'm not entirely sure of its purpose, so if any of you bird experts out there can tell me I'd love to know. I will keep the camera handy and try and get a recording of it. This is certainly earlier than previous years as they only turned up here a month ago.



Not my picture, sadly I've never had the camera with me on the very rare occasions they've flown overhead. This is a borrowed one. They are remarkable-looking birds and if you've never seen one in flight I always think they look like a cross between a pigeon and a hawk with a long straight tail!

CT x





9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your bug came back; hope it's gone for good now. I would be concerned if my "local" cuckoo is changing its tune already as it has only just arrived! (And I still haven't heard it much this year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- I'm thinking they must be preparing to up sticks and go elsewhere. Seems very early to me.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard a cuckoo here.
    Get well soon CT. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jessica! We get so many here it's very strange to think there are parts of the country that are cuckoo silent. Having said that there definitely haven't been as many here in the last two years.

      Delete
  3. Sadly we don't have any here. Maybe they don't like the seaside! In Scotland we saw plenty and had great views of them from the cabin we were staying at. Their distinctive call might be something to do with their habit of nest raiding and replacing. Only thing I could find was that the chick call is very persuasive and entices other birds to feed it as well as the poor parents who think it's theirs. So this might account for the unusual adult call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Brixham is also cuckoo-free? You'll all have to come here for the day and get a top-up! You've shamed me into researching them properly Suzie. I've now got a tonne of interesting cuckoo facts which I'll post separately :-)

      Delete
  4. Heard the cuckoo on 20 april 2014 and today in bideford devon. A first for 5 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - hopefully they are making a come back.

      Delete
  5. Talking about the Cuckoos that come over to Britain every year. In May it comes over to Britain. In June it changes it's tune. In July not sure. In August it must go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x