Monday, 22 April 2013

Mr and Mrs Blackcap have taken up residence

Well - at last I can write a joyful post. A male blackcap arrived in our garden last week. I've been enjoying watching him on the feeders as he's been back and forwards most days. Up until this afternoon he has been solo. I spent a lovely couple of minutes earlier today watching him taking grave exception to a couple of long tailed tits who had the temerity to land on the fat balls he was eating. He opened his beak wide and stared threateningly at them which did seem to work, making them check initially at least.

It was while this furious posturing was going on that I spied his wife in the hedge behind him. I only knew who she was because Shy Songbird had very kindly told me what lady blackcaps look like - they wear russet brown caps instead of the ebony ones their husbands sport.

Of course by the time I'd got the camera out she'd vanished, but it's enough to know that she is there. Hopefully we have a breeding pair and there will be baby blackcaps in the garden before too long.

Here he is in all his glory...








 

 

8 comments:

  1. Isn't he a handsome chap. Love your fat ball feeder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The silvery grey colour is even better in real life, really striking. The whole beak-open-I'm-very-cross-with-the-tits moment was lovely: I'm assuming this is normal cross with other birds posture for a blackcap

      Delete
  2. So pleased you have a pair. It would be wonderful if you had baby Blackcaps eventually! Lovely photos too. Thanks so much for the kind mention :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I saw her. It was only a few days ago that we were talking about females and then there she was. Have watched them playing in the trees by the lake together this afternoon so she is definitely his mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very jealous. Have always wanted to see one but never have. Lovely photos and I really like your fat ball feeder too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. I think the feeder came from Scats.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos - and how wonderful that you have a pair. I've been waiting to see a female mate for my male but I haven't seen one yet. I hope your pair nest successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. He was singing in the hedge yesterday- wonderful to watch. Do let me know if a female turns up for your chap- I'll keep my fingers crossed. I understand a lot of blackcaps get caught as they cross Cyprus- apparently they are a delicacy there :-(

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x