Saturday, 6 April 2013

Lost dog update

Great news! She's been found abandoned in a quiet lane near the downs on the outskirts of the village and returned safe and sound to her very relieved mum and dad.

The general consensus is that she was stolen this morning, then when the thieves realised she was too old to breed from and not a trained gun dog they left her on the roadside nearby.

Everyone is over the moon. I guess the lesson for all us dog owners is to be watchful and vigilant no matter the time of day or night.

One thing I have learnt today is that gangs of dog thieves mark properties where there is, for example, a gun dog, with a small unobtrusive sticker to let other members of the gang know there is a dog worth stealing there. It's worth periodically checking the outside of your house for such a mark. Its not nice to feel threatened and no one wants to become paranoid, but if you do have dogs its a simple enough step to take just to be on the safe side.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't tell you how relieved I am, it's been worrying the life out of me. I was so afraid she would never be found. I kept thinking about your poor parents having to go to bed without knowing where she was and when we were out today without a word of a lie every dog I saw was a Springer so it has not been out of my mind for a moment!! Thank you so much for letting us know. Thank you too for the info on the stickers which I had never heard of. As you said earlier, it seems to be happening across the country, I heard of a similar case here a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SB you are a sweetheart. Thanks so much for thinking of us today and I'm so sorry we've taken up so much of your day with concern. We can all breath again now! Parents especially. CT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that your parents dog was found it must have been such a worrying time for you all, and you wouldn't think that there would be anyone around at that time in the morning. My brother lives in Hampshire too and would never leave his dog outside a shop even for a couple of minutes.
    Sarah X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes a huge relief for them and us too. Mercifully the day ended better than it started. CT x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I read your two posts together, and that your parents in law's dog has been found. What a relief. It's scary stuff is this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very scary. Just makes us all more vigilant.

      Delete
  6. So glad she turned up unharmed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I read them together too. Great news....phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big phew! Apparently these thieves are targeting young springers and as she's ten she was too old for them so they let her go.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad I read these two posts together, too, so that I can see the wonderful news that she was found. It is a horrible thing to happen, and I've always been worried about my dog. Thank you for alerting us to the stickers, I'll look out for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nasty to think someone's been watching your house with a view to snatching your dog, but if any good comes of this its that we can all keep an eye out for stickers now and be more vigilant in general about our animals.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x