Monday, 8 April 2013

A sad day for a friend

I had a message this morning from a friend to tell me she had lost her father last Wednesday after a long drawn-out illness. It's been coming a long time and in many ways it is a release for all of them, but it is still hard.

There is a poem that I turn to in times like these. I suspect many of you will already know it but I thought I'd share it here for those of you who have not seen it before. It always brings me great comfort. I love the simplicity of it, and the peace in the words.



Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle Autumn rain.


When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die.


Mary Elizabeth Frye

3 comments:

  1. With release comes guilt I find. So sorry. I love that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to read of your friend's sad loss. I lost my own dear Dad far too soon and though the passing of the years eventually makes it easier the sorrow is always there. Yes, it is a familiar poem but no less beautiful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear your friends sad news. I love those words and they did help me when my parents passed away.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x