Monday, 28 January 2013

T'is the season to be rainy (apparently)

Here in rural Hampshire the snow has all gone (hurray) but it's been replaced by rain (boo). I've never known a winter like it. It has rained and rained and rained and rained. If there is even a hint from the water companies of hosepipe bans later in the year I shall point them to this blog. The land is saturated - it can not absorb any more rain so all the water just lies on the surface.


The Redwings were back last evening and I had the camera with me. Here's a pic of one eating a worm. They were bloomin' difficult to photograph, largely because Teddy, who usually takes himself off on a nice explore by himself, unaccountably decided to stick with me which of course scared off the birds. The result looked better on the computer at home but hopefully you can see the bird?




The bird scarer-offer


I took part in the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch over the weekend. I've done it for the last few years. We generally have the same top ten birds coming to the garden as everyone else in the southern part of the UK, but every now and then we have a more unusual visitor (last year it was a red poll and the siskins). It's always interesting to see who's got what coming where, and of course it's fantastic for tracking fluctuations in bird populations. If you haven't done it before it only takes an hour of your time and there's still time to enter your findings on line. Just click on the blue wording above to go to the site. It's a good practical way to help our feathered friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply to every one. CT x